RE: Problems sharing media WMP11

Byte

Feb 22, 2008, 4:23:00 PM2/22/08
Friend of mine had the same problem. So I spent some time hunting down
fixes.
Try the following... check that these services are running...
Go to: Start>Run>type SERVICES.MSC and press OK - change the Status
to Started.

HTTP SSL
SSDP Discovery Service
Universal Plug and Play Device Host

If all that checks out and you still find the PS3 not seeing the pc, then:

Goto the Run box in XP, type regsvr32 upnphost.dll then restart your PC.
Checking the sharing box is ticked in Media Players Library, the PS3 should
see your PC now.

If it still doesnt work, then run regedt32 and find the key
{204810b9-73b2-11d4-bf42-00b0d0118b56}. Right click on it, select permissions
and check the Read and Allow is ticked for your Username. (ps. I cant be held
responsible if this registry edit will mess ur pc but it shouldnt).

--
XP - WNP
Today is the first day of the

"JTalvik" wrote:

> I have two PCs and one PS3 connected to a wireless network. I want to be able
> to share the mediafiles I have on my two PCs with the PS3. One of the PCs is
> able to see the PS3 and to share media, but the PC where most of my files are
> is not able to see the PS3, and the PS3 can't find the PC. I have no
> firewall, and uses only AVG free edition for Virus defend. Everytime I go
> into the library on the WMP11 and try to share media I get an error in the
> eventlog. The error message says, translated from Norwegian...: "A new media
> server could not be initialized because CoCreateInstance
> (CLSID_UPnPRegistrar) failed with error 0x80040154. Check that the service
> UPnPhost runs, and that UPnPHost-component for Windows is properly installed"
> The EventID is 14338. I have checked that the UpnPHost runs under
> services.msc. Does anyone know what is wrong?

JTalvik

Feb 22, 2008, 5:36:03 PM2/22/08
THANK YOU! After I typed regsvr32 upnphost.dll and restarted the PC it worked!
I have spent days searching forums and the internet, tried everything, but
this worked!

Again; thank you! :-)

Byte

Feb 23, 2008, 11:35:03 AM2/23/08
You're welcome and Happy Putering :~)

Shawba

Apr 17, 2008, 4:09:01 AM4/17/08
Byte -
Your worth more money mate, i realise i havent posted anything but this
reply but i took your advice on services.msc as i was having a similar
problem to the above query, looked round and found what i needed (being that
windows media network sharing had been disabled) and problem solvered.. Job
well done sir, indeed.

MTonev

Aug 26, 2008, 11:57:02 PM8/26/08
I seem to have a related problem but my error code is not the same. I tried
the perscribed remedies but to no avail. I even reinstalled WMP11 and still
getting the below error. Please help and thank you in advance!

Event Type: Error
Event Source: WMPNetworkSvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 14338
Date: 8/26/2008
Time: 10:48:37 PM
User: N/A
Computer: KUBRAT
A new media server was not initialized because
CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UPnPRegistrar) encountered error '0x80070005'. Verify
that the UPnPHost service is running and that the UPnPHost component of
Windows is installed properly.

zachd [MSFT]

Sep 7, 2008, 2:48:37 AM9/7/08

So: is the UPNP service running... ?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"MTonev" <MTo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

MTonev

Sep 7, 2008, 2:03:01 PM9/7/08
Yeah, UPnP was running.

The problem turned out to be with my DCOM settings. I researched the error
code and it means that there is an access/permissions issue. At that point I
remembered that sometime ago I had gone into DCOM settings (Start->Run:
dcomcnfg) and changed several permissions under Component Services ->
Computers -> My Computer -> Properties -> COM Security, which in effect
limited what can run as a COM service. I undid the changes and the problem
was resolved. There are no more error messages in the system log, the process
starts fine and the PC and PS3 talk without much problems.

On that last note, the PS3 would show no audio files when the PC is sharing
too many files. The workarounds that I have found so far are two - share less
files, or create playlists for them - the PS3 recognizes the playlists.

gormlessMonkey

Oct 30, 2009, 9:51:01 AM10/30/09

gormlessMonkey

Oct 30, 2009, 9:55:01 AM10/30/09
iThanks - I have been trying for over a year to get Media Sharing working
with PS3 - the 'regsvr32 upnphost.dll' fix worked.