"xyz" is not in your contact list. Click here to add him or her now. --but nothing happens

yz3azf

Oct 19, 2006, 3:27:56 AM10/19/06
I'm using the latest Live Messanger 8.
This strange thing just happened. I was chatting with a friend A and he
gave me contact name B and said that B is online. I immediately added B
in my contact list but he's not online. So my friend A added B in the
window so the three of us are in conference thus B is indeed online.

Me and B tried to solve this problem but we cannot. He sees me online
but I can't see him online. Also everytime I started a conversation
with B there is a small note in the window:

B is not in your contact list. Click here to add him or her now. (the
last sentence is clickable)

When I try to click it it does nothing.
Block is disabled.
There must be something wrong in my system since I tried with another
account in my laptop and it's fine (I can see him online).
Help please! Thanks!

yz3azf

Oct 19, 2006, 11:36:07 PM10/19/06
I solved my problem!!

In addition to the above problem, I found that I can add new contacts
but I cannot see them online. So I installed Windows Live Messenger in
another PC which was never installed before and I found that WLM
created new folders in C:\Documents and Settings, specifically in:

- C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Contacts
- C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts

These folders and subfolders might be Hidden so you will need to enable
them in Folder Options (Show hidden files and folders).

When I log in to my account in the other PC, it creates new subfolders
based on my login name. And when I looked into WLM screen, all my
contacts are there and I can now see the problematic users online!

So then on my main PC, I deleted everything inside those 2 folders
(backup first to be safe) and copy from the other PC to this one. Sign
in again on my main PC and voila!

Cheers!

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Oct 19, 2006, 11:41:25 PM10/19/06
Greetings,

Your particular problem must've been a problem in the contact cache, which doesn't surprise
me as al the caches in WLM have been quite problematic since it was released.

Appreciate the feedback.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

"yz3azf" <yz3...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Peter...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2006, 10:20:08 AM10/20/06
So is there a fix for this, if I don't have a second PC? I had exactly
the same problem. Moreover, if I delete existing contacts that are
online and the re-add them, they'll show up as Offline. No
notifications are sent to them.
Any solution for this? (other than going back to an older messenger
version)

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Oct 20, 2006, 1:07:48 PM10/20/06
Hi Peter,

Well, for fun, make sure Messenger is shut down and then try removing these folders on your
PC. Just so you know, it's simply a contact cache, you won't lose anything by doing so.

However, yeah, you can't just delete contacts and magically this will be solved. This is
because the relationship between you and your contact is not severed when you delete someone.
If you were to delete them, then they delete you, then you remove them from the Privacy
category in the Tools menu (or Alt-T if its hidden), Options and then you can readd them,
re-establishing the relationships and usually fixing issues like this.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2006 Jonathan Kay.

<Peter...@gmail.com> wrote in message

zsh...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2006, 8:27:21 AM10/21/06

Seems like I have the same problem.
I tried the workaround, deleted these folders, but when trying to
sign-in again it takes ages and ages (I've given it over 10 minutes)
and nothing happens. Doesn't fail, doesn't succeed, just the two little
people doing their dance.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks...

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Oct 21, 2006, 12:02:10 PM10/21/06
Greetings,

How long has this problem been happening for you? Just to be clear about what you've
tried -- have you shut down Messenger and then run the:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/remove_wlmpolicies.reg file?

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2006 Jonathan Kay.

<zsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Cruiser

Oct 22, 2006, 8:14:32 AM10/22/06
John,

Your fix worked for me. Thanks for the help.

James

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Peter...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2006, 4:12:56 PM10/23/06
hi Jonathan, the registry patch did it for me too - without removing
any cache (or other sort of) files.

thanks!!!

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

mark...@hotmail.com

Oct 26, 2006, 12:05:48 PM10/26/06
I'm having the same problem with a friend. However, how do i know if
the problem is on my machine or his? We both can't see each other
online.

John

Oct 29, 2006, 2:33:02 AM10/29/06
Unfortunately the fix did not work for me.

I still am having the same problem, no matter what I do.

Any advice on how I can add contacts which work?
Thanks.

John

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Oct 29, 2006, 2:43:47 AM10/29/06
Hi John,

You may need to delete and readd the contacts and/or use another client like Windows
Messenger (not Live) which more than likely will prompt you to add the contacts to your list
(in most people's experience) and then you can switch back to Live and they should work.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2006 Jonathan Kay.

"John" <Jo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Baslak@discussions.microsoft.com Orcun Baslak

Oct 29, 2006, 6:52:02 AM10/29/06
Hi Jonathan,

This issue is an important issue because I know there are too many users
around that doesnt know which tag to use in a search engine to get this page.
Many suffer this.

You Reg file works after deleting the folders and files under those folders.
It takes ~1 minutes to login once.

Messenger versions before this one was successful about this solution. So,
when will you provide a solution to this problem with a new Live Messenger
release ?
Thanks.

Orcun Baslak

Justin

Nov 28, 2006, 1:26:19 PM11/28/06
I'd been having this same problem ever since I installed Windows Live Messenger (probably 2-3 months ago?). I just found this thread.

I shut down IM (making sure to right-click > Exit on the task bar icon), then I ran the Registry edit at the link that John posted. It worked for me! In fact, when I restarted IM afterward, I received 2 invitations that had probably been sent to me a while back but I never had received. And many people that I'd sent invitations to a while back have finally received them (I assume) because they're finally showing up as "Online" on my contact list.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Meghan

Jan 23, 2007, 11:35:45 PM1/23/07
Hi Jonathan--
I followed this thread hoping it would help fix my own problem with adding new contacts.
I knew I had been having problems with it, but tonight I signed on to Windows Messenger on an old computer and found 7 requests to add dating back as far as a month ago, that I know of.

I added all of them, signed out... came home and checked to see if they'd been added to my regular (Live) contact list-- they weren't.

I tried running the link you posted (I've also done that... run: regedit, delete "shared" folder) but still nothing. Now it's not even a matter of deleting and re-adding, but finding those people who added me but were never added to my own contact. Can I find those addresses again?

Ah, sorry. I don't feel very computer literate right now.

Thank you.

dman

Jan 26, 2007, 4:17:12 PM1/26/07
hey man when i try you link that has the so called fix all i see is this : "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\Policies]"

richard

Feb 8, 2007, 6:48:42 AM2/8/07
Hi Jonathan,

I've got a slightly diff problem.

whenever i delete a contact (right click on the contact in WLM and click delete, then block and remove from contacts and then click ok) they remove themselves.

however when i close WLM and then sign in again (same pc/profile) after any period of time, i get bombarded with invite requests from all the blocked/deleted contacts i just got rid of.

unless i accept them all back (clicking dont add or cancel just closes the request)i just get asked each and every time i log in. :(

its also the same from the non messenger contacts, but i dont get invite requests for them, they're just back.

help please!!!! :(

Jared

Feb 15, 2007, 4:41:39 AM2/15/07
the minus symbol tells regedit to delete the key (not that it will have any effect on the size of the dat file it was stored in)

msn probably creates it again with default values next time you open it

rant: maybe one day microsoft will be nice enough to destroy the registry in favour of ascii format settings files (like the "ini" files of old), but i'm not holding my breath