error code 1612

hypercrazysmart_me

Jan 19, 2006, 8:15:02 PM1/19/06
i logged onto msn messenger just now and it said that it had an updated
version of messenger that could install. so i tried installing it and a
window popped up saying that it couldn't instal due to the error code of 1612
and told me to install the latest version of msn messenger on the messenger
site.

is there a new version of msn messenger up? i thought i have the latest
version already o___o;;

the version of my msn messenger is 7.5.0311

Meli

Jan 20, 2006, 12:32:02 PM1/20/06
I also have this problem. It doesn't matter from where I try to reinstall
MSN Messenger - file saved to my computer, directly from the download page on
MSN Messenger or from Microsoft other pages; I still get the same message -
error 1612. I've tried to simply uninstall the darn thing, no dice, error
1612. I've tried to repair it through Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs, it
tells me no can do.

I have no idea how long this has been a problem because I did not have a
problem that caused the desire to re-install Messenger until about 3 weeks
ago. That particular problem has been solved, but now I have an additional
irritation. I cannot shut down MSN Messenger without closing Outlook 2003.
I just want to have the programs on my system to act the way they should, and
make sure there are no weaknesses that could be exploited by nefarious people.

I have the same version of MSN Messenger- 7.5.0311

XPHome SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3200, 1gb RAM
Trend-Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2005

All updates and fixes for OS and Office 2003

HELP! this is driving me around the bend!

Meli

Jan 22, 2006, 12:19:40 PM1/22/06
I have an update on the error 1612 thing.

I took a couple of hours last night and created a system restore point
then went to work deleting all references to "MSN Messenger" and
"msnmsgr" in the registry and on my system. I rebooted numerous times,
and re-searched both the registry and my system for these phrases, and
found none.

I then went to the msn messenger download page and tried to install
the most up to date version of MSN Messenger from there. And you
guessed it...error 1612 popped up again.

Perhaps we're looking in the wrong place for the solution? Could
error be related to something in one of the latest OS updates? At this
point I am completely stymied as to where to look next.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Sharika

Jan 22, 2006, 8:28:34 PM1/22/06

This is what you do, go to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Follow the instructions to download and install the Windows Installer
CleanUp Utility.Start the utility. Click any MSN Messenger entries that
the Utility identifies, and then click "Remove." ANd then try
downloading MSN messenger again.

I have had the same problem and it was worked for me.

Sharika

Jan 22, 2006, 9:01:49 PM1/22/06

Meli

Jan 23, 2006, 10:43:14 AM1/23/06
Sharika, THANK YOU!! It worked beautifully!

What a load off my mind. I hate it when something isn't working the
way it should; and I really hate it when I can't find the problem and
fix it.

You've made my day.

Meli