Location of emoticons on hard drive

lyn...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2006, 11:02:38 AM8/17/06
I grabbed a great emoticon from a friend by right clicking on the
emoticon in the conversation window, then choosing add.

I'd like to find the actual file on the hard drive. Any idea where its
stored? If it's even stored in an image format?

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Aug 17, 2006, 1:00:57 PM8/17/06
Greetings,

They are stored in:
Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN
Messenger\anumber\CustomEmoticons. Where username is your Windows username and anumber is an
integer representation of the Passport e-mail address.

They'll show up as DAT files but they're really either PNGs (for static emoticons) or GIFs
(for animaed).

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

<lyn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Grunion

Aug 17, 2006, 1:35:01 PM8/17/06
Jonathan-
There doesn't appear to be a folder called "Application Data" under my
username in Documents and Settings. The folders appearing there are Cookies,
Desktop, Favorites, Start Menu, UserData. Vimas, and WINDOWS. "UserData has a
file called index.dat, is that it? Also looking for the winks and display
pictures I have purchased and installed. Thanks for your help.

Roberto

Aug 17, 2006, 3:52:09 PM8/17/06
It's a hidden folder , you have to enable viewing hidden folders

"Grunion" <Gru...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

lyn...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2006, 10:20:14 AM8/18/06
Wonderful, thank you Jonathan!

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Aug 18, 2006, 4:35:11 PM8/18/06

One more thing. If you're trying to back them up, just copying the files isn't good enough
as Messenger will just ignore them when you copy them back. You'll have to use a tool like
this:
http://www.baisoft.it/msnbackup_english.asp