Has anyone come across "cinfo.xml"?

Darnko

Nov 24, 2004, 3:03:03 PM11/24/04
Has anyone come across "cinfo.xml"? Apparentlly the Japanese have lots, as
after a Google search of it there are Micrsoft Knowledge base Articles that I
can't read even with trans. pack. This "cinfo.xml" is coming up when I check
MSN Explorer on add/remove Windows Components and run cofiguring install
Components and it stops and up pops, "'Files Needed' The file 'cinfo.xml' on
Windows XP Home Edition SP2 CD is needed." In the window on this pop up it
say C:\Windows\ServicePack Files\i386. I search high and low on SP2
installation files, and Service Pack 2 Install disk. I can't find anything on
this, right now I have it on two different PC's not connected in anyway.
Ideas, Help.
Thanks
--
Onward Through The Fog,
Darnko

Sandi - Microsoft MVP

Nov 25, 2004, 7:47:36 AM11/25/04
It seems that perhaps a *.cpl file is corrupt (specifically appwiz.cpl). It
would be best to refer this question to a general discussion group for XP.

Also, do you have high end software such as Crystal Info installed?

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure advice remains current
_______________________________________

"Darnko" <Dar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mikey

Nov 27, 2004, 8:39:33 PM11/27/04

I had the same problem when I did a Windows XP Home Edition re-installation
following an installation of Service Pack 2. I lost MSN Explorer and had a
message indicating that there was something new under development, but I
didn't get the whole message. I now get the same message as you when I
attempt to add/remove MSN Explorer from Window Components. I'm going to
wait a month before I try again.

PA Bear

Nov 28, 2004, 8:57:18 PM11/28/04
Do not confuse *Windows* Messenger with *MSN* Messenger, Mikey. They are
different applications and only the former can be dealt with in Windows
Components.

If *Windows* Messenger had been removed or uninstalled, SP2 will bring it
back.

For best reliability, you should be running *MSN* Messenger v6.2.0137 in
WinXP SP2.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

J I M

Dec 1, 2004, 7:17:16 PM12/1/04
Hi!

I don't think this has anything to do with Messenger (Win or MSN).

This can be caused by missing files (cinfo.xml or market.mar or
auupdate.exe).
winXP SP2 does not include MSN Explorer (or later versions).

Things you can try:
*****
Locate your Microsoft Windows XP installation CD, and then reinstall the
version of MSN that is on that disc: a. Put the Windows XP CD into your CD
or DVD drive.
b. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
c. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
d. In the left column, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
e. When you are prompted for the file location, enter the name of
the CD drive, for example, drive D.
f. Follow the instructions in the installation wizard to complete
the installation

*****
If you need to reinstall MSN Explorer 7.02, go to :
http://explorer.msn.com/install.htm
If you need to install the latest version MSN 9.1, go to:
http://membercenter.msn.com/download.aspx

Sites need the IE browser (does not work on my Firefox...drats)
Also, some older winXP CDs include only MSN Explorer 6.x, which still tries
to autoupgrade to the ver 7.

HTH

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message