MSN Explorer 10 Official Release Notice

BeritB [MSFT]

Nov 24, 2009, 4:06:02 PM11/24/09
Greetings,

MSN Explorer Version 10 (MSN 10) has been released for MSN retail customers
in the United States. International and partner versions are still in the
development process. If you are currently running MSN 9.6, then you will be
automatically updated to MSN 10 within the upcoming weeks. For new installs,
please go to http://membercenter.msn.com, and click the Download Now link.
MSN 10 runs on the following versions of Windows - 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP (32
bit only), Vista (32 bit /64 bit) and 7 (32 bit/64 bit).

New features in MSN 10:
- Integrated e-mail spell checker for XP, Vista and Windows 7.
- Quick Web Access (QWA) allows you to surf the web while MSN 10 completes
the sign-in process. For new installs, QWA is enabled by default. Customers
who receive MSN 10 through the auto-update process will not have this enabled
by default. QWA can be easily enabled/disabled from the sign in screen.
- New video player for the dashboard. Add the player by clicking the
username at the top of the dashboard and choosing Video. This option is not
enabled by default.
- The search buttons have been updated to Bing.

Items that have been removed or changed:
- The “Encarta” button has been changed to “Reference” and includes a
dictionary, thesaurus and translations.
- The calendar task list has been removed from the dashboard since it was
part of the former MSN Calendar service.
- Search box on the dashboard has been moved to a fixed position at the top
of the dashboard.
- Messenger is no longer a requirement for signing into MSN Explorer. If
Messenger is installed, MSN Explorer will work with it in the same manner as
before and show your contacts and their online status.

Notable bug fixes:
- The main cause for 'Error 235' while installing/uninstalling has been
addressed. Note: this error code may still display if a firewall or
anti-virus is preventing MSN Explorer from accessing the internet.
- New windows not displaying the navigation bar has been fixed
- Unable to download certain file types such as .csv or .pdf has been fixed

Behind the scenes changes:
Previously, in order to add or remove features from the dashboard or
navigation bar it was necessary to release an entirely new version of MSN
Explorer. With MSN 10, we now have the ability to update the dashboard and
the navigation bar without requiring a full update of MSN Explorer. Now
that we have enabled this functionality, you can expect additional new
features to be delivered to MSN 10 over the next year.

Thank you,
Berit Benson
Community Leader, MSN Internet Access/MSN Explorer

Earle Horton

Nov 24, 2009, 4:47:22 PM11/24/09
Thank you for the posting.

Earle

"BeritB [MSFT]" <Berit...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

StephenB

Nov 24, 2009, 7:55:46 PM11/24/09
Thanks, Berit.
-steve

BeritB [MSFT] <Berit...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live

BeritB [MSFT]

Nov 30, 2009, 7:30:01 PM11/30/09
Hi Winston,

Thank you for the suggestions. That MSN 10 video link went out a bit
earlier than it should have, and definitely should not have shown up for
anyone using a Verizon or Qwest account.

We will have a new MSN 10 video posted soon for the MSN retail customers.

Take care,
Berit

"...winston" wrote:

> Berit,
> Thanks for the overview.
>
> One request....
>
> 1. https://membercenter.msn.com
> Contains an 'Upgrade to MSN 10.0' link under the category MSN Tutorials
> - clicking on the link yields a video labeled MSN 9.6 (to see the pic in the message view in Html)
>

> 2. One comment.
> Some folks might like to know this if Outlook is also installed..
> From the Member Center option to download MSN 10
> <qp>
> Note: Microsoft Office Outlook Connector is included in the MSN software installation
> </qp>
>

> --
> ...winston
> ms-mvp mail

...winston

Dec 1, 2009, 1:19:14 AM12/1/09
Berit,
Thanks for the response..
For clarification purposes, the MSN 10 Video link I referenced, was *not* a Verizon or Qwest partnered account or affiliated with
any partner. It's an original legacy pop3 Msn account.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

Earle Horton

Dec 1, 2009, 7:26:13 PM12/1/09
I can see the video link fine from my Qwest account. Still getting 235
error on install attempt from Windows 7 too. Any timetable for fixing this
for Qwest accounts?

Cheers,

Earle

GWP245

Feb 11, 2010, 9:11:01 PM2/11/10

"BeritB [MSFT]" wrote:

Any idea when Verizon will provide MSN 10. Can't get much information from
them.
9.6 with Vista has been a big problem - can't use Explorer 8 and had to
import and third party provider of a Spell Check for e-mails.

Any update will be appeciated.

Earle Horton

Feb 13, 2010, 1:54:38 PM2/13/10
"GWP245" <GWP...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
On the Qwest version of membercenter.msn.com, Download MSN Software link,
there is an option to install Microsoft Digital Image 2006. This contains,
believe it or not, English Proofing Tools from Office 2003. Maybe the
Verizon site will let you do the same. Qwest appears to be phasing out
support for MSN software in favor of Windows Live and Norton AntiVirus. It
would not surprise me if Verizon did the same.

Cheers,

Earle

StephenB

Feb 13, 2010, 8:47:14 PM2/13/10
"Earle Horton" <ear...@live.com.invalid> wrote:

>On the Qwest version of membercenter.msn.com, Download MSN Software link,
>there is an option to install Microsoft Digital Image 2006. This contains,
>believe it or not, English Proofing Tools from Office 2003. Maybe the
>Verizon site will let you do the same. Qwest appears to be phasing out
>support for MSN software in favor of Windows Live and Norton AntiVirus. It
>would not surprise me if Verizon did the same.
>
>Cheers,

There is no Verizon download any longer, they direct users to Windows Live apps.
-steve

Earle Horton

Feb 14, 2010, 2:15:47 AM2/14/10
"StephenB" <sbo...@mvps.org> wrote in message

> "Earle Horton" <ear...@live.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On the Qwest version of membercenter.msn.com, Download MSN Software link,
>>there is an option to install Microsoft Digital Image 2006. This
>>contains,
>>believe it or not, English Proofing Tools from Office 2003. Maybe the
>>Verizon site will let you do the same. Qwest appears to be phasing out
>>support for MSN software in favor of Windows Live and Norton AntiVirus.
>>It
>>would not surprise me if Verizon did the same.
>>
>>Cheers,
>
> There is no Verizon download any longer, they direct users to Windows Live
> apps.
> -steve

Bummer, well Windows Live comes with its own spell checker at least. I am
having a pretty good time with Outlook 2007 and the Outlook Connector. It
looks as if the market for MSN software is inexorably shrinking...

Earle

Steve J.

Feb 21, 2010, 5:26:01 PM2/21/10
I performed the "upgrade" from MSN 9.6 to MSN 10 as per the below. My
configuration = XP, IE 8, MSN10/Verizon ISP. All I was seeking out of the
upgrade was the fix to the problem of the MSN Navigation Tool bar not showing
when opening new windows. However, after the upgrade I am still experiencing
that problem. It's frustrating to say the least.

Suggestions ?!?!?!

Joe

Feb 22, 2010, 2:11:01 PM2/22/10
What version of IE does MSN Explorer 10 use under the hood? All the docs I
see online say 5.5, which is no longer supported?
Message has been deleted

sparky57

Mar 8, 2010, 2:39:01 PM3/8/10
I currently have msn premium with verizon and my lates version is I think is
9.6. When will I get version 10?

"StephenB" wrote:

> .

sparky57

Mar 8, 2010, 2:44:01 PM3/8/10
I have MSN Premium from Verizon and I think it's version 9.6. How can I get
version 10?

StephenB

Mar 9, 2010, 7:53:53 AM3/9/10
No infrormation has been announced yet regarding partner accounts such as the
one you have with Verizon. You may want to contact Verizon and ask. I believe
that they will probably suggest that you switch to Windows Live programs and
services.
-steve

Robinson - London, UK@discussions.microsoft.com Gavin Robinson - London, UK

Mar 28, 2010, 9:31:01 AM3/28/10

I realise that the MSN 10 Regional updates are still a "work in progress" to
enable international users to upgrade to version 10, but is there an expected
date for the United Kingdom release ?

"StephenB" wrote:

> .

StephenB

Mar 28, 2010, 10:12:52 AM3/28/10
In my experience, Microsoft doesn't publish planned release dates until they are
absolutely certain that there will not be a change.
Nothing has been announced yet.
-steve

Gavin Robinson - London, UK <Gavin Robinson - London,

Hawthorne@discussions.microsoft.com Rob Hawthorne

Sep 22, 2010, 2:16:03 PM9/22/10
I was recently "upgraded" to version 10. What are the chances of Microsoft
adding the calendar view back to the dashboard? It was one of the most
informative options. The addition of videos is a complete waste of space.
Also, on my laptop Messenger keeps loading even if I don't want it to. I
never use it anyway. How do you disable Messenger?
Thanks,
Bob H.

StephenB

Sep 22, 2010, 7:08:32 PM9/22/10
The redesign of the Dashboard in v10, as I understand it, will allow them to
make changes more easily to MSN Explorer. I don't know what's involved in adding
the calendar, but know that others have also asked for it.
Open Messenger, go to Tools/Options and the options for how it starts are on the
Sign In tab. Press Alt after clicking on Messenger (after signing in) to see the
menu if it isn't visible.
-steve

eltonk

Nov 10, 2010, 12:14:36 PM11/10/10
BeritB [MSFT] wrote on 11/24/2009 16:06 ET :
> Greetings,
>
> MSN Explorer Version 10 (MSN 10) has been released for MSN retail customers
> in the United States. International and partner versions are still in the
> development process. If you are currently running MSN 9.6, then you will be
> automatically updated to MSN 10 within the upcoming weeks. For new installs,
> please go to http://membercenter.msn.com, and click the Download Now link.
> MSN 10 runs on the following versions of Windows - 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP (32
> bit only), Vista (32 bit /64 bit) and 7 (32 bit/64 bit).
>
> New features in MSN 10:
> - Integrated e-mail spell checker for XP, Vista and Windows 7.
> - Quick Web Access (QWA) allows you to surf the web while MSN 10 completes
> the sign-in process. For new installs, QWA is enabled by default. Customers
> who receive MSN 10 through the auto-update process will not have this enabled
> by default. QWA can be easily enabled/disabled from the sign in screen.
> - New video player for the dashboard. Add the player by clicking the
> username at the top of the dashboard and choosing Video. This option is not
> enabled by default.
> - The search buttons have been updated to Bing.
>
> Items that have been removed or changed:
> - The &ldquo;Encarta&rdquo; button has been changed to
&ldquo;Reference&rdquo;
> This posting is provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.

I think my first attempt to post a reply got cut off - pilot error-sorry.

Basic symptom: No .pps attached files show up with their emails using MSN 10
running on a Windows 7 64-bit OS. It's not that they don't open, they're just
not there. Instead there is message saying MSN has blocked it as an unsafe
file. (Note however, the .pps extension is NOT listed by MSN on its
automatically blocked list of dangerous files.)
Strange info: These attachments come through OK if the file extension is
changed by the sender.
They also come through just fine under MSN 10 on our Windows XP Pro SP3
machines. And, they come through fine using Hotmail on all machines.

MSN tech support tried to resolve this for hours and after escalation to
higher
level tech support, they gave up, saying they will forward to a special
unresolved problems department. Haven't heard back.

I have not found this problem mentioned on other forums, so it may be a
uniques
problem. But how can MSN blocking a file at the serer be the fault of our new
Win 7 installation.
It's OEM installed by Dell on an Inspiron 570 desktop.

Any ideas? Thanks.