Please help me install DirectX 9.0c....please...(vis)

Vishal

Sep 28, 2006, 5:29:01 AM9/28/06

I am not able to install DirectX 9.0c.

After running the setup, a message says that 'The components are installed
and ready to use'. But after restarting the system, on executing dxdiag the
DirectX version is shown as 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902).

Even games which require DirectX 9.0c give an error saying that DirectX 9.0c
is not installed on the system and the game doesn't start.

I also downloaded DirectX 9.0c (directx_9c_redist.exe) from the internet and
tried installing it but this too didn't help.

Why is this version giving so many users a headache whereas v9.0b was hassle
free?

I have also provided more details about my system in this mail. Please see
below.

- Windows Version: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2,
v.2055 (2600.xpsp_sp2_beta1.031215-1745)

- Complete text of the Error Message: DirectX 9.0c or higher is not
installed on this computer. Please install and try again.

- Product Identification Number (PID) for my version of Windows XP:
55274-647-2284165-23529

Please help me resolve this asap.

Awaiting a quick response.

Thanks in advance,
Vishal

MowGreen

Sep 28, 2006, 1:16:45 PM9/28/06
Vishal,

There appears to be an issue with installing DirectX 9.0c to XP SP2:

> If it is Windows XP with SP2 installed, it will then check the DirectX version,
> but only the major version (the number behind the dot). If it is “9″
> (including 9.0a and 9.0b), the program will think that you already have DirectX 9.0c
> installed since most Windows XP SP2 installation already come with that DirectX
> version.

Came across these two workarounds. Please NOTE that neither are
supported by MS. Suggest you create a Restore Point before employing
either one :

http://www.funponsel.com/blog/archives/2006/01/04/how-to-install-directx-90c-over-windows-xp-sp2-with-directx-90b/
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic33122.html
(scroll down to the post by camoman_lee )

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten