Yodlee Q&A Thread

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 23, 2005, 1:21:17 PM8/23/05

I've recently taken responsibility for Yodlee's product management and
product lines, in addition to our engineering organization, and felt that we
haven't done a good enough job in responding directly to consumers'
feedback.

I'm starting this thread for anyone that wants to ask questions about the
Yodlee service either via MS Money 2005/6 or via Yodlee.com. Hopefully this
will give everyone a chance to hear some communication directly from us
here, as it seems the almost universal #1 piece of feedback is - we don't do
enough.

Please feel free to post a question and I'll respond, typically a couple of
times a day, and going forward, please put Yodlee: in the Message Title, and
it will filter well, and I'll get alerted automagically.

Looking forward to some good dialog.

Regards

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

note: there is an equivalent thread on FatWallet here:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=0&catid=52&threadid=511758

Don Awalt

Aug 23, 2005, 7:26:52 PM8/23/05
I have a question - I have two IRA accounts with a large mutual fund. They
are set up as two separate online accounts in Money 2006. If I do Update Now
and select both, it errors out every time. If I do one at a time, or just
let the program update once a day, it works fine. Is that a bug that can be
fixed, sounds almost like a timing issue (I can update them back to back
manually and they are fine).

Thanks

"Peter Hazlehurst" <peterha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

StevenFromTexas

Aug 23, 2005, 10:44:42 PM8/23/05
I don't have a clue as to why anyone would want to use your "service" or a
whole lot of other "features" in Microsoft Money! Those that enter their
own information directly into Microsoft Money have, by far, the best
fianancial records and the least problems with using the software program.

The more that someone lets Microsoft do their thinking for them, the less
useful their financial software package becomes.

Chris Cowles

Aug 23, 2005, 11:48:37 PM8/23/05
StevenFromTexas wrote:
> Those that enter their own information directly into Microsoft Money have,
> by far, the best
> fianancial records and the least problems with using the software program.
>
> The more that someone lets Microsoft do their thinking for them, the less
> useful their financial software package becomes.

I disagree with that part of your statement, although I do question why
someone would prefer synching through Yodlee rather than directly with a
bank, given that Yodlee's primary marketing strategy seems to be selling
financial information.

Chris Cowles

Aug 23, 2005, 11:49:22 PM8/23/05
Peter Hazlehurst wrote:
> I'm starting this thread for anyone that wants to ask questions about the
> Yodlee service either via MS Money 2005/6 or via Yodlee.com. Hopefully
> this
> will give everyone a chance to hear some communication directly from us
> here, as it seems the almost universal #1 piece of feedback is - we don't
> do
> enough.

Welcome, but I hope you have thick skin. You may need it.
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

William R Wood

Aug 24, 2005, 12:08:15 PM8/24/05

"Peter Hazlehurst" <peterha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've recently taken responsibility for Yodlee's product management and
> product lines, in addition to our engineering organization, and felt that
> we haven't done a good enough job in responding directly to consumers'
> feedback.
>
> I'm starting this thread for anyone that wants to ask questions about the
> Yodlee service either via MS Money 2005/6 or via Yodlee.com. Hopefully
> this will give everyone a chance to hear some communication directly from
> us here, as it seems the almost universal #1 piece of feedback is - we
> don't do enough.
>
> Please feel free to post a question and I'll respond, typically a couple
> of times a day, and going forward, please put Yodlee: in the Message
> Title, and it will filter well, and I'll get alerted automagically.
>
> Looking forward to some good dialog.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Hazlehurst
> SVP - Engineering
> Yodlee, Inc.

Hi Peter,

I saw this quote on your website:

"The majority of current aggregation users fit the Mass Affluent (MA)
profile - defined as those individuals having between $100,000 and $1
million in assets to invest. This segment represents a $5.5 trillion market.
MA consumers typically have more financial accounts, which are dispersed
across multiple providers. According to studies, the MA hold roughly 50
percent of their assets away from their primary financial institution.
Aggregation, which consolidates these accounts, can provide tremendous
customer insight into product usage and holdings "away from" their home
institution. Financial institutions can use this insight to fully understand
and best serve their customers' financial needs, while simultaneously
growing customer relationships to increase share of wallet and
profitability."

As a member of the MA profile group I find that quote disturbing. I don't
want my FIs mining my data to increase "share of wallet and profitability".
I pick FIs because they have the best products at the lowest cost. That is
the exact opposite of what your mission statement seems to imply. I want
FIs to give me even better service at even lower cost. The internet makes
that possible and I expect FIs to learn how to exploit the internet far
better than they have managed so far. My banks and brokers make enough
money off my business as it is. If your aggregation services are sold on
the basis that FIs can use that process to figure out new ways to charge me
more for their products, then you can keep it. Also, why would I want a 3rd
party like Yodlee, or anybody else, standing between me and my accounting
software and my various FIs?? All I see is another source of trouble. It
only takes me about 15 seconds to click Update Now and download all my
financial data without Yodlee.

How does Yodlee benefit us users? If you work for MSFT or my FI, then you
don't work for me. I don't like dealing with 3rd parties that have a
conflict of interest with me. Remember that us users are the folks with the
money that you are trying to get. Its my job to make sure you never get my
money unless you deserve it. What value does Yodlee add for us real people
out here in the trenches? And if you were going to say something about your
aggregation services providing greater ease of use and a more complete view
of my finances, forget it. I will click a few extra clicks any day to avoid
extra fees and I already have Money 2002 setup to show my overall financial
picture just fine.

At this point I see Yodlee as another reason not to "upgrade" to Money 2006
but I would like to hear your side of the story.

Regards

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ

Dick Watson

Aug 24, 2005, 2:54:26 PM8/24/05
There is NOTHING about M05/06 that MAKES you become involved with Yodlee.
This is strictly a personal choice in how you elect to use the software.
There is no financial management feature in Money that is exclusively
dependent on the Yodlee interface.

That having been said, there are other reasons I recommend against M05 and,
sadly, M06. See http://umpmfaq.info/Money2005.htm. As always, YMMV. The M06
page will be up shortly.

That's actually a more revealing Yodlee quote than waht I already have on:
http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=171.

"William R Wood" <w.w...@cox.net> wrote in message

William R Wood

Aug 24, 2005, 4:50:44 PM8/24/05

"Dick Watson" <littlegr...@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
message news:u9NVB1Nq...@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> There is NOTHING about M05/06 that MAKES you become involved with Yodlee.
> This is strictly a personal choice in how you elect to use the software.
> There is no financial management feature in Money that is exclusively
> dependent on the Yodlee interface.

I am aware of that, nonetheless, I resent MSFT inserting unwanted "features"
or relationships into my personal accounting software. I want the
accounting and reporting features of Money perfected - a task that is far
from complete - before any thought is given to incorporating new concepts
like Yodlee.

> That having been said, there are other reasons I recommend against M05
> and,
> sadly, M06. See http://umpmfaq.info/Money2005.htm. As always, YMMV. The
> M06
> page will be up shortly.
>
> That's actually a more revealing Yodlee quote than waht I already have on:
> http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=171.

Your above FAQs are most interesting and I agree with what you say
completely. I am still using Money 2002 because each newer version contains
a bug in the budget reports that destroys my financial plan. Even if the
bug was fixed (I have given up hope on that after many, many requests to
MSFT) I would not upgrade to 2006. After downloading the trial I see that
the interface is changed in many ways, all of which are negative, and not a
single useful feature was added. With the new policy of forcing upgrades
every 2 years MSFT looses all incentive to improve the program. Instead
they are now relying on folks becoming dependent on automated downloading
which will be disabled unless they upgrade. That's a low blow and I will
not become part of it.

Check out Moneydance.com. This up and coming program is usable right now
and, with any luck, it will become as good as or better than Money/Quicken
for personal accounting.

Regards

Bill Wood

Tony

Aug 24, 2005, 6:12:22 PM8/24/05
"Peter Hazlehurst" <peterha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've recently taken responsibility for Yodlee's product management and
> product lines, in addition to our engineering organization, and felt that
> we haven't done a good enough job in responding directly to consumers'
> feedback.

Here's something you might be able to help with:

Over a month ago I contacted Microsoft about a problem downloading
transaction information from MBNA. MS said that the issue was actually a
Yodlee screen scraping issue, but that they would contact Yodlee to get the
problem resolved. As of today, the problem still occurs.

Here's the situation: Amsouth Bank recently sold my credit card account to
MBNA. I already have 2 MBNA accounts that I've used with Money for years.
When I received notice of the addition of the former Amsouth account from
MBNA, I activated it in my MBNA web interface. At that point my ability to
transfer anything from MBNA into Money stopped. I tried to stop and then
reactivate this connection with MBNA in Money from scratch, and still the
problem persisted. As soon as I deleted the Amsouth account from the web
interface however Money resumed transferring MBNA transactions just fine.

So now, I have a really annoying dilemma. Not only can I not get the
transactions from my old Amsouth account to show up in Money, I cannot even
look at them on the website. (Whenever I turn the Amsouth account "on" it
stops the syncing of the other accounts.)

It seems to be a fairly simple screen scraping issue. If you have a person
to work on it and they need more info, let me know here and I'll forward
information on how I can be reached.

john...@hotmail.com

Aug 24, 2005, 7:09:46 PM8/24/05
Tony,

Bank of America (BOA) is currently completing their purchase of MBNA.
Now how do yor feel?

Many banks had affinity contracts with MBNA to issue private label
cards. With the sale to BOA imagine the condundrum they find
themselves in!!!

...(get in line)

Regards,
JB

Tony

Aug 24, 2005, 7:23:59 PM8/24/05
<john...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Tony,
>
> Bank of America (BOA) is currently completing their purchase of MBNA.
> Now how do yor feel?

Lovely. :(

I have nothing against MBNA. I have 2 long standing accounts with them that
I don't use as primary accounts, but I've never had any particular problems.
I don't focus more on using these accounts because of the poor integration
with Money.

Although I've definitely had run ins with Amsouth before, their web support
and support of Money tended to be very good. Now that my Amsouth account was
transferred to MBNA, it has gone from being a primary account to one I don't
often use.

To bring this thread back on topic, MBNA's support of Money and even the
functionality of their website is very poor. They're far behind what other
companies are doing. To see them take over these other companies is a step
in the wrong direction.

Tony

Michael J. Blazin

Aug 24, 2005, 7:33:45 PM8/24/05
I'm not with Yodlee, but it appears many people don't understand the
service.
You're not a Yodlee customer, unless you send a payment to them. Your bank
is. You are the user, not the customer. Your bank buys Yodlee services in
lieu of developing its own aggregation services/updating services. I assume
Yodlee offers a wide range of services and your bank pays for what it
desires or what it can get away with and call it self an internet bank. If
you don't like the services your bank buys, complain to your bank.

Yodlee is not secretly collecting your data when you go to multiple banks
yourself and obtain statements either via Yodlee or the bank's internal
service, e.g. using MS Money. The "data mining" occurs when you go to one
bank's page and start using that bank's aggregation services, typically
provided by Yodlee. Because your using its page to collect info from other
institutions, you've given your bank access to that info. That's the law.
Yodlee then chews on that info and reports it back to your aggregating bank
for a fee. If you don't want your bank to know about other banks' accounts,
don't use the aggregating services of that bank.

The Product Manager normally looks for Voice of the Customer via his
customers, i.e., the banks. Heretofore, he relied on the banks to get info
from their customers, e.g. you, on service usage. He's made an attempt to
get the info direct from the source.

john...@hotmail.com

Aug 24, 2005, 9:11:28 PM8/24/05
Tony,

Didn't mean to get off topic but your issue is not Yodlee's problem.
It often takes months (close to a year, give or take) to complete all
the merger/acquisition processes. Typically, the larger the companies
the longer it takes.

During these periods, the services customers have grown accustomed to
begin to change. Its just human nature to react negatively but
eventually the kinks get worked out and its back to business as usual.
You may have to adjust how certain accounts you've setup in Money are
updated, but "thems the breaks". I can assure you that when businesses
are making these decisions the impact on Money users doesn't matter.

This newsgroup is chock full of posts commiserating on the impact of
such changes on their use of Money. I can only recommend you get used
to it and learn to adapt. The consolidation we're seeing in the
financial industry is sure to continue for the forseeable future.

Yodlee has to deal with this too. The user provides the login info and
they're counting on the banks' servers to do the rest. When things
change at any given bank the services they provide are impacted. This
is no different than the adverse impact you observe on your use of
Money. They deal with ALL the banks. You just deal with yours!

Your situation with AmSouth/MBNA (and soon BOA) will eventually
improve. In fact, with BOA, the account in question eventually won't
even require Money's integration with Yodlee. Be patient!

Regards,
JB

Tony

Aug 24, 2005, 9:26:11 PM8/24/05

> Didn't mean to get off topic but your issue is not Yodlee's problem.
> It often takes months (close to a year, give or take) to complete all
> the merger/acquisition processes. Typically, the larger the companies
> the longer it takes.

I'm not sure why you say this is not a Yodlee problem. Yodlee is
fundamentally a screen scraping operation. They are no longer scraping MBNA
screens correctly. I'm not accusing the company of being incompetent, but
the problem here is with Yodlee. MBNA's website works as it has for some
time. (Poorly, but it works.) Once Yodlee adjusts their scraping scripts for
this site, it should start working again.

> During these periods, the services customers have grown accustomed to
> begin to change. Its just human nature to react negatively but
> eventually the kinks get worked out and its back to business as usual.
> You may have to adjust how certain accounts you've setup in Money are
> updated, but "thems the breaks". I can assure you that when businesses
> are making these decisions the impact on Money users doesn't matter.

I agree. I also think that it is up to consumers to "vote with their
wallets," though, when company changes result in fewer services. I've
diverted about $10k/month of charges from MBNA to other companies simply
because their integration with Money is superior. My former Amsouth account
used to process about $3k/month in transactions. Since it was moved to MBNA,
there's less than $100 been charged to it. A big deal? To these companies
not at all. But if a few hundred customers did this, it would (or at least
should) show up on their radar.

> This newsgroup is chock full of posts commiserating on the impact of
> such changes on their use of Money. I can only recommend you get used
> to it and learn to adapt. The consolidation we're seeing in the
> financial industry is sure to continue for the forseeable future.

That's just it for me. I refuse to "get used to it." With my credit rating
and payment history, I would be a valued customer for any credit
organization. I'll do business with those who offer the set of services that
best meet my needs. Hopefully the industry will never get to the point where
none of those companies exist.

> Your situation with AmSouth/MBNA (and soon BOA) will eventually
> improve. In fact, with BOA, the account in question eventually won't
> even require Money's integration with Yodlee. Be patient!

I hope so. I certainly give companies time to improve. I still have accounts
with these companies. I'll divert traffic back to them when things get back
to "normal."

William R Wood

Aug 24, 2005, 9:27:02 PM8/24/05

"Michael J. Blazin" <mjbl...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> I'm not with Yodlee, but it appears many people don't understand the
> service.
> You're not a Yodlee customer, unless you send a payment to them. Your
> bank is. You are the user, not the customer. Your bank buys Yodlee
> services in lieu of developing its own aggregation services/updating
> services. I assume Yodlee offers a wide range of services and your bank
> pays for what it desires or what it can get away with and call it self an
> internet bank. If you don't like the services your bank buys, complain to
> your bank.
>
> Yodlee is not secretly collecting your data when you go to multiple banks
> yourself and obtain statements either via Yodlee or the bank's internal
> service, e.g. using MS Money. The "data mining" occurs when you go to one
> bank's page and start using that bank's aggregation services, typically
> provided by Yodlee. Because your using its page to collect info from
> other institutions, you've given your bank access to that info. That's
> the law. Yodlee then chews on that info and reports it back to your
> aggregating bank for a fee. If you don't want your bank to know about
> other banks' accounts, don't use the aggregating services of that bank.
>
> The Product Manager normally looks for Voice of the Customer via his
> customers, i.e., the banks. Heretofore, he relied on the banks to get
> info from their customers, e.g. you, on service usage. He's made an
> attempt to get the info direct from the source.

Hi Michael,

I understand how Yodlee works and I believe that you may have misunderstood
my complaint which is twofold:

First, I don't like the idea that a 3rd party aggregator might come between
me and my FIs. That cannot be a positive development. And I fully
understand that I am not a Yodlee customer but therein lies the problem.
Yodlee is in bed with MSFT and the FIs and therefore does not have my best
interests at heart. Why would I (or anybody else) want a 3rd party who
represents the other side of the business relationship coming between me and
my bank or broker. I don't want my bank or broker paying Yodlee to figure
out ways of squeezing more money out of me. I want my banks/brokers to
spend their money and time developing better services at lower cost, not
cavorting with crafty 3rd party aggregators who promise increased profits by
milking customers (me) for all they are worth!!

Second, I don't like the fact than MSFT is spending time on 3rd party
integration with Money. Money is supposed to be a personal finance program
and that is exactly what I want. We need the accounting and reporting
functions in Money perfected which is not true at this point. Money is
still bug ridden and incomplete in terms of its basic accounting and
reporting functions and MSFT should address those issues first. After Money
is a completed personal finance program, MSFT can add more functionality and
sell that package as a separate program to those who want supplemental
services and hand holding . I am not one of those people and prefer a DYI
approach.

There is another significant factor to consider. Yodlee exists only because
banks/brokers currently refuse to adopt a uniform method of transferring
data to financial software. I feel that we (us folks out here in the
trenches) should demand that the financial services industry adopt uniform
data transfer standards so everybody can easily connect to and exchange data
with our FIs whoever they may be using whatever financial software we like.
We don't need Yodlee, we need better service from our FIs and MSFT. Unless
I am missing something really obvious, Yodlee at best gives us something our
FIs should be giving us for free as a matter of decent customer service. As
a bank or brokerage customer I am absolutely entitled to immediate access to
transaction information relating to my accounts. I want that information
via the internet; in fact, I want it in real time . Traditionally FIs sent
us paper statements which are very expensive to produce and slow to arrive.
The internet makes the task of delivering transaction data to customers
cheaper and faster but many banks/brokers have done little to exploit that
advantage and none provide real time transaction data to customers. I am
more than willing to pay MSFT for good software that allows me to access my
FIs data and services but I don't want to be married to MSFT by mandatory
upgrades. The painful fact is that current "upgrades" of Money stink and if
MSFT forces mandatory upgrades down our throats by cutting off convenient
internet access to our FIs, they will have even less incentive to make the
program better. As it now stands MSFT is trying to morph Money into a cash
machine using the threat of loosing convenient downloads instead of inducing
repeat purchases with better software.

Bottom line is that I see Yodlee as a sign of bad things to come. We should
protest by not upgrading to Money 2006, not using Yodlee and demanding that
our banks/brokers get organized and give us convenient standardized access
to our financial data over the internet. That is our right and we need to
speak out.

Dick Watson

Aug 24, 2005, 10:01:28 PM8/24/05
What he said.

William R Wood

Aug 24, 2005, 10:20:25 PM8/24/05
JB,

Sorry to jump in on your conversation but I simply must comment.

<john...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Tony,
>
> Didn't mean to get off topic but your issue is not Yodlee's problem.
> It often takes months (close to a year, give or take) to complete all
> the merger/acquisition processes. Typically, the larger the companies
> the longer it takes.

It certainly is Yodlee's problem. This is one of the reasons why I
vociferously objected to Yodlee's participation in the process in the first
place as stated in my other posts in this thread. I, for one, do not want
any 3rd party involved in my relationship with my banks or brokers. I don't
want Yodlee and/or my FI finger pointing at each other when problems
develope. I want my FI to be directly accountable to me for good service;
if my FI screws up too bad, I'm gone.

> During these periods, the services customers have grown accustomed to
> begin to change. Its just human nature to react negatively but
> eventually the kinks get worked out and its back to business as usual.
> You may have to adjust how certain accounts you've setup in Money are
> updated, but "thems the breaks". I can assure you that when businesses
> are making these decisions the impact on Money users doesn't matter.

"Thems the breaks"???? You are certainly more tolerant than me. My banks
and brokers better worry about the impact on me during any merger or other
business transaction. I regard it as completely irresponsible for any
bank/broker to disrupt the delivery of transaction information to customers
and if any FI does that to me, I am gone. I will not tolerate irresponsible
conduct with respect to my money.

> This newsgroup is chock full of posts commiserating on the impact of
> such changes on their use of Money. I can only recommend you get used
> to it and learn to adapt. The consolidation we're seeing in the
> financial industry is sure to continue for the forseeable future.

"Get used to it"??? No way! If any FI treated me in the cavalier manner
that you suggest, I would be a former customer in a heartbeat.
Consolidation may continue but that does not mean that the transitions
cannot and should not be smooth and painless for customers.

> Yodlee has to deal with this too. The user provides the login info and
> they're counting on the banks' servers to do the rest. When things
> change at any given bank the services they provide are impacted. This
> is no different than the adverse impact you observe on your use of
> Money. They deal with ALL the banks. You just deal with yours!
>
> Your situation with AmSouth/MBNA (and soon BOA) will eventually
> improve. In fact, with BOA, the account in question eventually won't
> even require Money's integration with Yodlee. Be patient!

"Be patient."?? I have moved substantial amounts of financial assets and
monthly transaction volume from bank to bank and broker to broker because
services rendered were subpar. My money goes to the institutions that
deliver the best services at the lowest cost. Patience is not a virtue with
regard to an FI's incompetence or poor service. It is my responsibility to
myself and my family to maximize our financial resources and I have no
obligation to accomodate or tolerate interrupted services.

I say speak out and vote with your money. None of us should accept poor
service or allow ourselves to be pushed around by FI's, MSFT, Yodlee or
anybody else. We are the ones with the money. MSFT, FIs and Yodlee want
our money. Don't give it to them unless they provide consistent great
service. Right now MSFT is not producing great personal accounting software
so I will not buy it, I will continue to use Money 2002 which still works
quite well. Yodlee is not providing any service that I can figure out that
my FI should not be giving me for free, so I won't use that either. I have
selected FIs that give me decent service including convenient downloads into
Money 2002 and I will remain loyal to those FIs as long as the good service
and low costs continue.

If most of us insist on good service and low costs from our FIs that's
exactly what we will get. Just keep switching until you find one that does
what you want. Do not reward poor service with continued loyalty. That
only makes the FI more arrogant and complacent.

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ

> Regards,
> JB

Andrew

Aug 24, 2005, 11:41:11 PM8/24/05
For instance, Wells Fargo's 'One Look' service.

Andrew

Aug 24, 2005, 11:42:28 PM8/24/05
Moneydance might be the product to use instead? Not full featured but it
might work.

"William R Wood" <w.w...@cox.net> wrote in message

Andrew

Aug 24, 2005, 11:49:13 PM8/24/05
The heck with Money and Yodlee issues, I just want my FI to quit charging me
if I take money out of an ATM they don't own!!
-tongue in cheek comment of course, but it's true-

"William R Wood" <w.w...@cox.net> wrote in message

harrelsonesq

Aug 25, 2005, 12:19:44 AM8/25/05
No immutable law of nature says that people will inevitably dislike change.
Most people like change quite a bit. They like to change cars, computers,
houses, shoes, clothes, makeup, and just about everything.

I wonder why "new" is great when it comes to products but terrible when it
comes to services. I would think it has more to do with the quality of the
providers' offerings than human nature. Sure, some years I think the clothes
and the cars suck, but most years I buy a ton of clothes and at least
daydream about doing the same with my car. I like XP way more than 98, and I
liked 98 way more than 95. A lot of websites improve considerably with every
upgrade. Some not so much.

If you give customers what they want, the profits will come. The current
model, OTOH, relies on manipulation, as in the Yodlee quote, and the user be
damned. People are mad because they don't want to be dragged down by the
service providers in their race to the bottom.

If the FI's want to know why I moved my money out of Merrill Lynch and put
in no-load funds with easy online access, the best way to find out is to
freakin' ASK ME. I would be happy to tell you that ML sells you crap so the
sales dude can win a trip to Cancun while you're sitting in your cubicle
slaving away trying to make enough to pay for some new clothes and a new
computer with XP on it. What "aggregation" is going to do to uncover those
drivers is mystifying to me.

Maybe Mr. Yodlee can enlighten me as to why the FI's don't just use NPDOR or
focus groups, instead of this no-value aggregation stuff. It's impersonal,
insulting, and the technology doesn't even work, if you believe the people
in this group.

Susan

Dick Watson

Aug 25, 2005, 12:32:23 AM8/25/05
What she said.

Kevin Campbell

Aug 25, 2005, 7:47:56 AM8/25/05
I couldn't agree more. I use Money and the internet to reduce my financial
charges and to make my life easier. I don't want to go through yet another
3rd party, letting them have access to my financials, to do this. As of yet
I see no reason to upgrade from Money 2004. Yodlee sure doesn't make me
feel warm and fuzzy!!! No thanks!

Kevin

Kevin Campbell

Aug 25, 2005, 7:54:43 AM8/25/05
Couldn't have said it better!!!

Kevin Campbell

Aug 25, 2005, 7:56:58 AM8/25/05
I'll have to check out MoneyDance but I need to know if there is a PDA
component to it. I use UltraSoft Money on my Palm and it is pretty much
indispensable to me now. I very rarely enter anything into Money directly
but through UltraSoft instead.

Kevin

"Andrew" <jus...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Kevin Campbell

Aug 25, 2005, 8:05:38 AM8/25/05
Then do as Mr. Wood suggests and switch to a bank that doesn't charge a fee
for this! There are banks that don't charge.

Kevin

"Andrew" <jus...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Kevin Campbell

Aug 25, 2005, 8:12:24 AM8/25/05
As a matter of fact, the bank that I now use not only doesn't charge for
using another bank's ATM, it refunds the other bank's ATM service fee. At
least up to $4.50 a month.

Kevin

"Kevin Campbell" <kcam...@nospam.midmaine.com> wrote in message

William R Wood

Aug 25, 2005, 7:29:35 AM8/25/05

"Andrew" <jus...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Moneydance might be the product to use instead? Not full featured but it
> might work.

Yes, Moneydance (MD) is a viable choice and I recommend that all frustrated
Money users try it. I have MD and used it for several months earlier this
year. MD is still quirky and lacks some essential (to me) features and
reports but it very well may become acceptable for full time use sometime
later this year when a new version is expected. I can easily download my
transactions directly from FIs that support direct download and import
transactions from FIs that only support manual downloads. MD reads QIF, OFC
and OFX files and runs on Windows, Macs or Linux. I plan to re-try MD as
soon as the new version is available and hopefully make the switch to MD on
a permanent basis later this year. Being freed from MSFT's new upgrade
policy and/or the worry about deactivation of Money 2002 will be a real
pleasure.

Regards

Bill Wood

Cal Learner-- MVP

Aug 25, 2005, 11:50:36 AM8/25/05
In microsoft.public.money, Peter Hazlehurst wrote:

>I'm starting this thread for anyone that wants to ask questions about the
>Yodlee service either via MS Money 2005/6 or via Yodlee.com. Hopefully this
>will give everyone a chance to hear some communication directly from us
>here, as it seems the almost universal #1 piece of feedback is - we don't do
>enough.

I have a couple questions:

1. If a Money user turns on logging during statement download and
processing, there are log files generated in the same directory as
the Money file of the form *R?.txt.

For example, if Money 2006 user starts Money and sets
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Money\15.0\Online]
"FLogProviderData"=dword:00000001
(usually by using the appropriate .reg file) the logs are generated.

If a user does this who is accessing statement data from an
institution where "service is provided by a third party provider,
not your financial institution", what appears in the log files
(e.g., contains QIF,OFX 1.6, or what), and how is it named?

2. If a Money 2006 has 5 institutions set up for online access, and
4 of them have available direct access without the asterisk (i.e.,
OFX) does Yodlee get involved in accessing data for just the one FI,
or for all 5?

Art McClinton

Aug 25, 2005, 7:48:00 PM8/25/05
I like your questions.

1) When I was having major M05 problems with an FI that was serviced by
Yodlee they MS help told me that the interface was QIF files. Try as
they could, they never however could capture a file. Looking at the
directions I received they did not indicate it was a dword so perhaps
that was why we never got it working.

2) I have had multiple FI's some that were direct and some that were
Yodlee based. I never saw Yodlee going after an account that was direct
from the institution. However in your scenario the data would be stored
for all accounts on Money Central. This is the reason that I do not
place a passport on my account as it then stores all of my data on a
Microsoft web site. I do not want to use my files from multiple
computers. This also turns off access to Yodlee so I immediately know
when the only way to the FI is through Yodlee. I personally have found
that Money 2006 is worth the price even though I do not use Yodlee or a
passport. I had too many bugs in M04 that have been fixed and the new
ones that I am concerned with are mainly Yodlee or MoneyCentral related.

harrelsonesq

Aug 26, 2005, 12:58:27 AM8/26/05
I have a dumb question for Peter -- what's up with the creepy name?

Sounds semi-sacred and semi-slapstick. The cognitive dissonance does not
inspire trust.

Susan

"Peter Hazlehurst" <peterha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've recently taken responsibility for Yodlee's product management and
> product lines, in addition to our engineering organization, and felt that
> we haven't done a good enough job in responding directly to consumers'
> feedback.
>

> I'm starting this thread for anyone that wants to ask questions about the
> Yodlee service either via MS Money 2005/6 or via Yodlee.com. Hopefully
> this will give everyone a chance to hear some communication directly from
> us here, as it seems the almost universal #1 piece of feedback is - we
> don't do enough.
>

> Please feel free to post a question and I'll respond, typically a couple
> of times a day, and going forward, please put Yodlee: in the Message
> Title, and it will filter well, and I'll get alerted automagically.
>
> Looking forward to some good dialog.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Hazlehurst
> SVP - Engineering
> Yodlee, Inc.
>

> note: there is an equivalent thread on FatWallet here:
> http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=0&catid=52&threadid=511758

Dick Watson

Aug 26, 2005, 8:56:32 AM8/26/05
There are only so many 6 letter or less combinations that can be pronounced
that are still available in the .com domain. Each new entrant will of
necessity have a weirder name than the last.

"harrelsonesq" <harrel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Steve

Aug 26, 2005, 10:10:59 AM8/26/05
Peter, it would be nice if you would please respond to at least some of
the 32 postings. You did say you view this twice a day. Thanks, Steve

john...@hotmail.com

Aug 26, 2005, 10:59:04 AM8/26/05
Steve,

He said he'd respond a couple times a day and to put Yodlee in the
message title (?). I wonder if he even checks the newsgroup.

Its funny, cause he responds regularly on the FatWallet group thread!

JB

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 26, 2005, 11:58:59 AM8/26/05
Hi, I'd suggest you log a case on that. Our back-end is pretty capable of
doing "gazillions" of realtime in parallel updates. This seems like
something between Yodlee and Microsoft we can work on.

Tx

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

"Don Awalt" <dona...@removethisgmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a question - I have two IRA accounts with a large mutual fund. They
>are set up as two separate online accounts in Money 2006. If I do Update
>Now and select both, it errors out every time. If I do one at a time, or
>just let the program update once a day, it works fine. Is that a bug that
>can be fixed, sounds almost like a timing issue (I can update them back to
>back manually and they are fine).
>
> Thanks

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 26, 2005, 12:00:32 PM8/26/05
Thanks Chris,

Being an Aussie, I was born thick skinned. I will take postings here with a
grain of salt, and not reverse flame. I promise.

--
Tx

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

"Chris Cowles" <NoS...@For.me> wrote in message

> Peter Hazlehurst wrote:
>> I'm starting this thread for anyone that wants to ask questions about the
>> Yodlee service either via MS Money 2005/6 or via Yodlee.com. Hopefully
>> this
>> will give everyone a chance to hear some communication directly from us
>> here, as it seems the almost universal #1 piece of feedback is - we don't
>> do
>> enough.
>

> Welcome, but I hope you have thick skin. You may need it.
> --
> Chris Cowles
> Gainesville, FL

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 26, 2005, 12:06:00 PM8/26/05
Hi, this is something I can help with.

Not sure of the best way to get a private message to me, on the public
internet here, but please do so on FatWallet.com. My user is phazlehurst,
and it is private and a secure comms channel. We will fix this for you.

--
Tx

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

"Tony" <pittare...@nospam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "Peter Hazlehurst" <peterha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently taken responsibility for Yodlee's product management and
>> product lines, in addition to our engineering organization, and felt that
>> we haven't done a good enough job in responding directly to consumers'
>> feedback.
>

> Here's something you might be able to help with:
>
> Over a month ago I contacted Microsoft about a problem downloading
> transaction information from MBNA. MS said that the issue was actually a
> Yodlee screen scraping issue, but that they would contact Yodlee to get
> the
> problem resolved. As of today, the problem still occurs.
>
> Here's the situation: Amsouth Bank recently sold my credit card account to
> MBNA. I already have 2 MBNA accounts that I've used with Money for years.
> When I received notice of the addition of the former Amsouth account from
> MBNA, I activated it in my MBNA web interface. At that point my ability to
> transfer anything from MBNA into Money stopped. I tried to stop and then
> reactivate this connection with MBNA in Money from scratch, and still the
> problem persisted. As soon as I deleted the Amsouth account from the web
> interface however Money resumed transferring MBNA transactions just fine.
>
> So now, I have a really annoying dilemma. Not only can I not get the
> transactions from my old Amsouth account to show up in Money, I cannot
> even
> look at them on the website. (Whenever I turn the Amsouth account "on" it
> stops the syncing of the other accounts.)
>
> It seems to be a fairly simple screen scraping issue. If you have a person
> to work on it and they need more info, let me know here and I'll forward
> information on how I can be reached.

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 26, 2005, 12:12:55 PM8/26/05
:)

My name's not that creepy... I kind of like it.

--
Tx

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 26, 2005, 12:13:30 PM8/26/05
Agreed. My bad. Crazy week at the office.

Postings happening as we speak.

--
Tx

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

"Steve" <sjcoh...@aol.com> wrote in message

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 26, 2005, 12:12:21 PM8/26/05

Some comments...

>>1. If a Money user turns on logging during statement download and
> processing, there are log files generated in the same directory as
> the Money file of the form *R?.txt.<<

Not sure. That's really a MS Money question... I'll ask around.

>>> 2. If a Money 2006 has 5 institutions set up for online access, and
> 4 of them have available direct access without the asterisk (i.e.,
> OFX) does Yodlee get involved in accessing data for just the one FI,
> or for all 5?<<

I am pretty sure we are only involved in the fifth one.

Microsoft uses us to get access to the many sites that don't support OFX or
equivalent standards based connections.

For the record, we also take advantage of any structured data we find on the
net, and so our reliability for many of the top banks is actually very high.
The challenge is in the smaller banks, credit unions and billers etc, where
we have small numbers of users, and therefore the error rates don't hit our
radar.

--
Tx

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_ne...@please.tnx> wrote in message

Cal Learner-- MVP

Aug 26, 2005, 12:45:52 PM8/26/05
In microsoft.public.money, Peter Hazlehurst wrote:

>Some comments...
>
>>>1. If a Money user turns on logging during statement download and
>> processing, there are log files generated in the same directory as
>> the Money file of the form *R?.txt.<<
>
>Not sure. That's really a MS Money question... I'll ask around.

No log file is available via that Money process for transactions
that pass via Yodlee.

I wonder how that parsed data passes to Microsoft from you. Is it
QIF, OFX, or something else?

>> 4 of them have available direct access without the asterisk (i.e.,
>> OFX) does Yodlee get involved in accessing data for just the one FI,
>> or for all 5?<<
>
>I am pretty sure we are only involved in the fifth one.

I also got conformation on that.

harrelsonesq

Aug 26, 2005, 11:13:23 PM8/26/05
Right. I thought YOUR name was so cool it HAD to be a pseudonym. Or rather,
for this group, a nom de guerre.

Susan

"Peter Hazlehurst" <peterha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dan

Aug 26, 2005, 11:30:10 PM8/26/05
Here's a question for ya Peter.. when we experience a problem with
Yodlee updates in MS Money, what's the better thing to do, open a
ticket with MS or with Yodlee? Ocassionally I've noticed things like
credits being inserted as debits, and when I've gone to MS support they
seem clueless, asking me to clear my IE cache, etc. After going back
and forth with them for a few days the problem usually fixes itself,
but i feel like I've wasted my time.

Also: what's the deal with the bug where transactions are downloaded
repetedly and require re-matching in MS Money 2005? Was that a Yodlee
problem or a Money problem? It's really annoying to no end, occurs
only in Yodlee-linked accounts, and honestly, I don't feel like
upgrading to Money 06 to fix it. Is there any way around this or did
MS just feel like not putting out a patch to fix that issue?

Thanks!

-Dan

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 27, 2005, 10:00:24 AM8/27/05

Not a perfect answer, but here's what I'd suggest (and it is a bit
involved).

To eliminate whether it is a Money problem or not, if you can add the same
account to Yodlee.com and have a look at the data. If the data also has an
issue, then there's something we at Yodlee can do about it.

We reasonably rarely have problems of debits v credits, and so if you have a
particular issue at the moment, please private message me on FatWallet:
phazlehurst.

As to the problem "fixing itself", if it is a data thing, then that is
usually the result of one of my team seeing it on a alert monitor and fixing
the agent. For high volume sites, we tend to fix things in <24hrs... for
lower volume < 48 and lowest (10s of users) we are now aging at around 7
days or so.

I haven't experienced the duplication problem myself - but clearly others
have. Let me have a play with it and see if I can. Can you (or anyone on the
group) give me an idea if it is certain types of accounts or something
constant that I can work with?

--
Tx

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

"Dan" <dan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Peter Hazlehurst

Aug 27, 2005, 10:02:32 AM8/27/05
>>> I wonder how that parsed data passes to Microsoft from you. Is it
> QIF, OFX, or something else?
<<

Microsoft uses our SDK to get access to data. It is server-to-server and
locked down very tight. There'd be no log that would be able to be "bubbled
up" to a consumer per se. We don't use QIF/OFX etc between us.

--
Tx

Peter Hazlehurst
SVP - Engineering
Yodlee, Inc.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_ne...@please.tnx> wrote in message

Dan

Aug 27, 2005, 10:37:53 AM8/27/05
Hey Peter, thanks for responding..

No problems at the moment, but I'll keep your fatwallet id handy just
in case. I do have an account at Yodlee.com and have never seen any
problems there, even when there were issues with Money. Which I
realize suggests that the issues were always on MS' side. At one point
however Money support told me to open a Yodlee ticket (which,
incidentally, went unanswered).

Anyway, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890440
details the problem with the "matching downloaded transactions" thing
(for a laugh, check out Solution 3, which essentially says "live with
it"). Note in the "applies to" section it doesn't list MS Money 06,
and I've heard from other people here that this issue is fixed in the
new version. I guess what I'd like to know is why MS doesn't put out a
patch to address in 05 (it still is 2005, afterall). Obviously I don't
expect you to know the answer to this. :)

Thanks again!

Art McClinton

Aug 27, 2005, 7:03:35 PM8/27/05
I have used the Yodlee site and last year did see the some problems from
that site. As you said, when I reported them to your help desk they got
resolved quickly. I also have noticed that you support FI's and
accounts at FI's that Money 2005 and 06 do not support. I have reported
some of these (ie, TIAA-CREF and my line of credit at BoA) to Money with
only answer from them being -- we Money do not support these as result
of decisions with interface to Yodlee. Your site is impressive.

I used to see duplications by simply performing an update now, accepting
the transactions and then immediately performing the same update now a
second time. Since I have dropped all accounts that use Yodlee I can no
longer confirm that this is the case.

Very impressive product and thanks for your answers here.

Art McClinton

Dan

Aug 28, 2005, 9:22:52 AM8/28/05
Thought of another question, unreleated to the first :)

Any plans for Yodlee to support Cititrade Investment accounts that are
linked *through* a Citibank banking account? I log into my Citibank
account at citibank.com, it takes me to the banking system, and then
from there I go to "investments", which somehow automatically logs me
in at Cititade.com. I do not have a Cititrade login, but that's the
system I'm in for buying/selling stocks and such.

This is the only account out of all of em that doesn't support
automatic transaction downloading at all.. if Yodlee supported this I'd
never have to enter a transaction again.

-Dan

Peter Hazlehurst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently taken responsibility for Yodlee's product management and
> product lines, in addition to our engineering organization, and felt that we
> haven't done a good enough job in responding directly to consumers'
> feedback.
>
> I'm starting this thread for anyone that wants to ask questions about the
> Yodlee service either via MS Money 2005/6 or via Yodlee.com. Hopefully this
> will give everyone a chance to hear some communication directly from us
> here, as it seems the almost universal #1 piece of feedback is - we don't do
> enough.
>
> Please feel free to post a question and I'll respond, typically a couple of
> times a day, and going forward, please put Yodlee: in the Message Title, and
> it will filter well, and I'll get alerted automagically.
>
> Looking forward to some good dialog.
>
> Regards
>

> Peter Hazlehurst
> SVP - Engineering
> Yodlee, Inc.

Steve

Sep 8, 2005, 8:33:50 PM9/8/05
Peter,
I do not know if you are continuing to monitor this
microsoft,public money group. If so, it might be beneficial to respond
to some of the critical comments among the 48 that were posted between
your initial post on August 23rd and the last post on August 28th. This
thread will be "dead" real soon. I hope that won't also be true of
Yodlee. Steve

Peter Hazlehurst

Sep 12, 2005, 1:30:38 AM9/12/05
Steve,

Something must be broken with the thread. I have been watching it every day,
and this is the first post that I have seen. Let me readd the account and
see if they show up.

Tx

"Steve" <sjcoh...@aol.com> wrote in message

Peter Hazlehurst

Sep 12, 2005, 1:33:02 AM9/12/05
Nope... just deleted and readded, and still can't see any new posts >
8/28... weird.

Is it possible you guys are posting to some "hoster" or something is not
actually on Microsoft's Newsgroup?

tx

"Peter Hazlehurst" <peterha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kevin Campbell

Sep 12, 2005, 8:51:48 AM9/12/05
That's funny I see 50 messages under this thread. Your original plus 49
others, all threaded properly.

Kevin

"Peter Hazlehurst" <peterha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Peter Hazlehurst

Sep 14, 2005, 7:24:05 AM9/14/05
Hi Kevin, See the 50 or so... but nothing new since about 8/28.... Many/most
of which I posted to.

:(

Tx

"Kevin Campbell" <kcam...@nospam.midmaine.com> wrote in message

Jay

Sep 21, 2005, 8:41:02 AM9/21/05
Peter, I have tried to upgratde from 04 to 06 hoever, I am not allowed to
select/exclude cartain accounts from my bank. I have several personal and
business accounts at Wells Fargo and only want to track/download my personal
accounts. However, no matter what set up method I use, Money downloads ALL
accounts. I have tried a straight so-called upgrade and Money 06 creates new
accounts and pulls in the transactions. I've tried upgrading, disabling
online services, reenabling online services and selecting & skipping the
accounts presented and still the same thing happens. This also occurs with
AMEX. I have sisnce gone back to Money 04. Could this be a problem on your
end that? I have spoken with MS and Wells Fargo and they do not have an
answer.

Mark

Sep 21, 2005, 12:03:12 PM9/21/05
Money 2005/6 pulls ALL accounts associated to your credentials with your
bank.

You could:
1. Mark the accounts you don't want to see as "Closed"
2. Contact the bank and associate those other accounts to a separate sign-in
3. Stick with Money 2004.

-Mark

"Jay" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Peter Hazlehurst

Sep 21, 2005, 1:10:22 PM9/21/05
Hi, Jay,

Not being the expert on Money, I would say that this is something unrelated
to Yodlee. Since we didn't have any integration in the Money 2004 timeframe.

Tx

"Mark" <ab...@abcd.com> wrote in message

Dan

Jay

Sep 22, 2005, 12:13:05 PM9/22/05
Hi Peter, Thanks for your response. Actually the problem is with Money 06 NOT
Money 04. Would you know if either Wells Fargo or AMEX offer downloads
through OFX and not Yodlee?

Mark

Sep 22, 2005, 2:06:25 PM9/22/05
Both default to direct services (OFX). See the Are my banks online site at
http://microsoft.com/money.

-Mark
"Jay" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tony

Oct 29, 2005, 10:20:47 AM10/29/05
Peter, a while back I contacted you via FatWallet regarding an account
downloading problem between MBNA and Money 2006. Shortly after I contacted
you, the problem was resolved.

Recently I bought a new computer and installed Money 2006 Deluxe on that
machine since I am migrating. After doing this, the old problem I had
connecting to MBNA has recurred. Essentially, every time I try to setup MBNA
I receive an error message saying "Microsoft Money could not receive
information from your bank or brokerage."

Can you offer any advice? I notice that on my old machine the version number
for Money is slightly different than the version number on this new machine,
but I have no idea how to "force an update" if that is what is needed to
resolve this. The problem has been ongoing since I moved to the new machine,
so any automatic updates should have come through the download process.

Tony

john...@hotmail.com

Oct 30, 2005, 8:48:31 AM10/30/05
Tony,

Now that your version update has completed (per your other thread), has
your MBNA issue been resolved?

Regards,
JB