Microsoft Money Plus and future versions

Bob Peel, MVP

Aug 6, 2008, 11:12:43 AM8/6/08
We have been asked to post the following by the MS Money Team.

Annual Release Change
. Microsoft Money Plus continues to be a valuable tool for our customers;
however the feedback we are hearing is that the incremental updates to the
software don't merit a new product every year. Given this, we have decided
against releasing a 2009 version of Money Plus.
. We are moving off of an annual release cycle for Microsoft Money Plus (no
Money 2009 version in the fall), with future release dates TBD. Money Plus
continues to be a valuable tool for our customers, however the feedback we
are hearing loud and clear is that, after 17 years in the market, the
incremental updates to the software don't merit a new product release every
year. Given this, we have decided against releasing a 2009 version of Money
Plus.
100% Online distribution (out of the packaging business and physical retail
store shelves)
. More and more retail consumers are going online to shop the endless rows
of digital shelves. In response to our retail partners' needs, consumer
behavior and business efficiencies, Microsoft is focusing distribution
efforts for Microsoft Money Plus software online via download and
discontinuing traditional box sales of the software at retail.
. Microsoft Money Plus will continue to be available at retail outlets while
supplies last. We have stopped shipping new product to retail outlets.
. We have been listening to our customers and analyzing market trends and
business dynamics and feel that distribution the software product online
will provide our customers with the right mix of products and services that
will meet their needs.
. The combination of Money Plus and MSN Money will continue to provide a
comprehensive source for our customer's money and personal finance needs.
Through the various tools and tight integration with the site, Money Plus
customers can get a complete view of their finances, understand what bills
have been paid and which are due, access stock information and tap into the
extensive list of financial experts on MSN Money for tips and guidance.

Overall
. Is this a sign that you are getting out of the packaged PC consumer
software business overall?
o Microsoft does not see shrink wrapped software going away anytime soon and
we are always talking to customers about different ways to price and package
our software offerings. The company is evolving its strategy and product
solutions to meet customer demand and optimize business efficiencies.

. What is your goal with moving to this download-only model? How have retail
partners responded?
o Our goal is to deliver products the way our retail partners and consumers
are demanding. Retailers are asking for more ways to work with us on the
digital distribution of Microsoft Money, so many are excited about the
additional flexibility the Web offers. This move means that our retailers
can provide more inventory of our products, but require less physical space
to manage inventory.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For unofficial FAQs see
http://money.mvps.org/
or
http://umpmfaq.info/

Dick Watson

Aug 6, 2008, 12:20:01 PM8/6/08
Note that the most hopeful and insightful thing they said about future
versions of the standalone software application we all know as Microsoft
Money is "with future release dates TBD". Bob, is that more or less what they
said in the UK when M05 was, uhh, passed over?

Re. "incremental updates to the software don't merit a new product release
every
year"--I think what they are willfully missing is that the customer feedback
was as much or more a comment on the nature of the "incremental updates" on
offer as on the release schedule for these "updates". But then we get back to
the business case for investing more than they've been investing in the
"incremental updates" they've been doing.

If Money had even 1/1,000th of the annual revenue of Office and anywhere
near 1/1,000th the new development budget, they just might develop a serious
"update" that wasn't so marginally incremental.

And so it goes...

Kocureq

Aug 6, 2008, 12:28:20 PM8/6/08
Dick Watson pisze:

> Re. "incremental updates to the software don't merit a new product release
> every year"

The good thing is that we won't have new data format every year, so my
Pocket PC counterpart for Money will be always working.

--
/\ /\ [ Jakub 'Kocureq' Anderwald ] /\ /\
=^;^= [ [nick][at][nick].com ] =^;^=

sugna

Aug 6, 2008, 1:42:02 PM8/6/08
Can someone please translate the Microsoft announcement! Is there a new
version or not, will it be able to carry out the background banking just
stopped on 2004?

What is Money Plus? is that a UK edition?

Why is this piece of brilliant software managed in such a muddled way?

Maybe its just me..................

Dick Watson

Aug 6, 2008, 2:25:01 PM8/6/08
I can give you partial translation.

Money Plus is the version that came out about a year ago this time. It is
available in the US but has limited or no availability outside the US. Prior
trends would have suggested they'd name it Money 2008. But they didn't.
Perhaps today's indirect announcement indicates why.

There is no new software at this time and the best they offer for new
software at some point in the future is "TBD".

Money Plus will continue to support the online interfaces until, IIRC,
around this time next year. What will happen then is TBD but the "Online
Services Policy" added in M+ suggests the possibility of a service offering
at some point in the future. This would suggest a pay subscription model to
continue M+ online functionality. Nothing like this has been announced.

I'm not sure I'd call it a brilliant piece of software, but it beats the
alternatives. Why is it managed the way it is? I think the short answer is
because Microsoft doesn't see a business case (translation: profitability) to
do otherwise.

Jeff

Aug 8, 2008, 12:19:35 AM8/8/08
Any thoughts on whether there is any future or if it is time to
reluctantly switch to Quicken? I wouldn't be concerned except that
there is no language suggesting future support. I realize no one
can answer definitively but would be interested in what the MVPs or
other longtime users would bet if pressed on the matter.

teabag

Aug 8, 2008, 5:18:19 AM8/8/08
UK Money 2000 is a perfectly robust program that does not 'report home'.

At present it is possible to download share and fund prices. This
information comes off an M$ / MSN / Morningstar server and the server could
be switched off at any time. That won't stop Money 2000 working but would
mean that users would have to update share and fund prices manually - they
will always be able to do this.

Some people download their bank statements directly into Money - I don't and
would not do so even if I could. Development and regression in this area
does not concern me.

I get the impression more recent versions of Money could be crippled by M$
because they do 'report home'. Certainly useful features like 'budgeting
have been 'dummed down' in the newer versions. You can read more about the
'Passport' saga in this newsgroup.

Comparing concurrent versions of Money and Quicken, I believe the M$ product
has usually been marginally superior.

If you can bear the pain (old Money programs can't read *.mny files made by
newer versions, so data transfer would be difficult) buy a second-hand copy
of UK Money 2000 on eBay, there is one available right now for 99p.

All this IMHO

teabag

"Jeff" <jam...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Dick Watson

Aug 8, 2008, 6:17:36 AM8/8/08
As it stands TODAY, Money is hardly as broken as you'd be going to Quicken.
The real question is what happens going forward. Will MS offer some service
offering to extend online services? Do you care about online services? Will
MS continue support? Will MS continue updates for things like tax law
changes? Will MS do more new versions, just not on the annual schedule? I
don't think any of those things are knowable here on the outside just yet. I
think this question is one that can be kicked down the road at a minimum one
year.

schliss

Aug 9, 2008, 1:17:48 AM8/9/08
I have Money Premium 2006 and I expect that Microsoft is testing the
concept of subscription software. If I can either pay a nominal fee to
continue to download stock prices I will avoid hassle of switching to a
new program or if it is possible maintain my historical data on Money
Essential otherwise I will probably move on.
I do however expect to see one of the following
1. A yearly or bi annual fee.
2. A deal with one or more of the brokerage firms.
3. An Advertisement supported version.

This said if Microsoft screws it it up a very fat Intuit and Yahoo
getting some pay back.

Andrew

Aug 10, 2008, 9:55:32 PM8/10/08
Coming Soon to a computer connection near you... Money Live...
Seriously, with the advent of online money management (free) services such
as Mint, Geezeo, Wesabe, etc - I expect to see Microsoft to go online - but
for a fee. With a TBD out there from Microsoft, I am concerned that it's
all going to go away. I was looking forward to beta testing the new version
too.

"schliss" <sch...@att.net> wrote in message

Retired Coal Miner

Aug 10, 2008, 10:15:06 PM8/10/08
I agree. I'm re-reading and wondering about that statement 'with future
release dates TBD'. I really hope this does not mean they may discontinue the
product at some point in the future. And I truly hope we're not reading too
much into it.

There may be some insightful ways to get a better read on this, such as what
are they telling their Financial Institution Partners and their Affiliates in
their marketing programs. http://www.microsoft.com/money/fi.mspx

Dick Watson

Aug 11, 2008, 9:38:01 AM8/11/08
Interesting to note that Information Week picked up on this
"non-announcement" from the Money team, forwarded through an MVP rather than
posted by them directly, as though Bob were a spokesmouth for Microsoft and
this were a company blog rather than a glorified Usenet newsgroup.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/enterpriseapps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210000586

Art McClinton

Aug 11, 2008, 7:41:15 PM8/11/08
I always wondered if the MVP's were connected to Microsoft.

Information Leak has now let the cat out of the bag..

MVP is Money Vice President! :>}

Congratulation Bob on your promotion.

"Dick Watson" <littlegr...@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
message news:E159FCD3-9302-4BF6...@microsoft.com...

Bob Peel, MVP

Aug 12, 2008, 1:51:53 AM8/12/08
If only! There would be some product changes......... :-)

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

"Art McClinton" <art.mc...@cox.net> wrote in message

aafuss

Aug 12, 2008, 8:58:28 AM8/12/08
On Aug 12, 3:51 pm, "Bob Peel, MVP"

<bob_p...@kiandra.freeserve.co.uk.INVALID> wrote:
> If only! There would be some product changes......... :-)
>
> --
> Regards
> Bob Peel,
> Microsoft MVP - Money
>
> For unofficial FAQs seehttp://money.mvps.org/
> orhttp://umpmfaq.info/

> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.
>
> "Art McClinton" <art.mcclin...@cox.net> wrote in message

> >I always wondered if the MVP's were connected to Microsoft.
>
> > Information Leak has now let the cat out of the bag..
>
> > MVP is Money Vice President!  :>}
>
> > Congratulation Bob on your promotion.
>
> > "Dick Watson" <littlegreenge...@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:E159FCD3-9302-4BF6...@microsoft.com...

> >> Interesting to note that Information Week picked up on this
> >> "non-announcement" from the Money team, forwarded through an MVP rather
> >> than
> >> posted by them directly, as though Bob were a spokesmouth for Microsoft
> >> and
> >> this were a company blog rather than a glorified Usenet newsgroup.
>
> >>http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/enterpriseapps/showArtic...

Australia and UK are still on a 2005 version-and MS Australia/UK don't
do Money downloads (unlike in the US).

And with no update this year-does it mean the UK will never see a new
version?

Kevin Campbell

Aug 15, 2008, 8:50:44 AM8/15/08
And since they are not going to distribute Money to retailers how does one
get a copy when you do not have online access or have a dialup connection?

Kevin
"aafuss" <babyasoft...@gmail.com> wrote in message

ScottW

Aug 15, 2008, 12:43:06 PM8/15/08
If you have no intention of using the on line features, then an older,
expired version will do. You can get one at very low cost from various
sources such as Ebay.

"Kevin Campbell" <kcam...@nospam.midmaine.com> wrote in message

Kevin Campbell

Aug 18, 2008, 8:03:50 AM8/18/08
Well, that doesn't really answer my question, does it! I have dial-up, I do
use the online features (some of them anyway). How do I get the newest
version? It would take hours if not even days to download from my
connection.

Kevin
"ScottW" <scott...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Dick Watson

Aug 18, 2008, 8:23:56 AM8/18/08
Know anybody with broadband and a CD burner?

"Kevin Campbell" <kcam...@nospam.midmaine.com> wrote in message

teabag

Aug 18, 2008, 10:15:30 AM8/18/08
Thought of switching to broadband?

Kevin Campbell

Aug 22, 2008, 7:27:45 AM8/22/08
Do you want to pay the $17000 (actual quote from cable company) to run the
cable to my house!! It's not available in my area! Neither is DSL. I
could, maybe do satellite but that's too expensive.

"teabag" <nob...@home.com> wrote in message

Dick Watson

Aug 22, 2008, 8:04:25 AM8/22/08
Thought of moving?

"Kevin Campbell" <kcam...@nospam.midmaine.com> wrote in message

Cal Learner-- MVP

Aug 22, 2008, 12:37:13 PM8/22/08
In microsoft.public.money, Kevin Campbell wrote:

>Well, that doesn't really answer my question, does it! I have dial-up, I do
>use the online features (some of them anyway). How do I get the newest
>version? It would take hours if not even days to download from my
>connection.

When you buy, AFAIK, there is still an option to have them mail a
backup disk of the install file for an extra fee.

Alternatively, you could do the file download at work or at a
friend's house, and burn a copy onto a CD, or a USB flash drive, of
the downloaded install file.

teabag

Aug 22, 2008, 1:36:23 PM8/22/08
You use $ ?
I use £

teabag

Kevin Campbell

Aug 25, 2008, 7:44:29 AM8/25/08
Funny!

"Dick Watson" <littlegr...@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
message news:Oambt8EB...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

RickA

Sep 8, 2008, 10:13:01 AM9/8/08

-- how do i upgrade money to the current version (US customer)?
Rick Arnest

"aafuss" wrote:

> [...]

Cal Learner

Sep 8, 2008, 10:27:57 AM9/8/08
In microsoft.public.uk.money, RickA wrote:

>how do i upgrade money to the current version (US customer)?

If you are running Money 99, this should help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108

Bob Peel, MVP

Sep 8, 2008, 10:42:52 AM9/8/08
If you are currently using a US version then go to
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/category.aspx?bcatid=2700&dl=1 and
download the version you want. NB you do NOT want Essentials as this will
not read a Money file from a previous version!

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For unofficial FAQs see
http://money.mvps.org/
or
http://umpmfaq.info/

"RickA" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

teabag

Sep 11, 2008, 11:55:14 AM9/11/08
Go to the US newsgroup - this one is for UK

RickA

Sep 12, 2008, 8:19:01 AM9/12/08
"teabag" wrote:

> Go to the US newsgroup - this one is for UK

but RickA looked at the top of the thread and saw this:

microsoft.public.money, microsoft.public.uk.money

which seems to indicate it does duty for both.

Cal Learner-- MVP

Sep 12, 2008, 12:26:17 PM9/12/08
In microsoft.public.money, RickA wrote:

That indicates that the message was cross-posted to two different
groups. This message is not cross-posted.

Phillip A. Huddy

Sep 23, 2008, 9:46:01 AM9/23/08
As a Microsoft Money user since 1997 I feel that Microsoft is missing out on
a huge oppoturnity with not releasing a 2009 version of Money.

I enjoy using the additional features packed with money that are typically
good for one year like the Experian Credit Monitoring Service.

My subscription to this service has recently expired making my $80 purchase
of Money Plus Premium seem foolish.

If Microsoft isn't going to release a new version then they need to continue
to support features built into the Money Product that many have come to rely
on.

I also have ideas that Microsoft could utilize in newer releases of this
software that would catapult this product into mainstream America and allow
the company to sell many more units.

Thanks,

Phil A. Huddy
--
Phil A. Huddy
Money User since 1997

"Bob Peel, MVP" wrote:

> [...]

> software business overall?
> o Microsoft does not see shrink wrapped software going away anytime soon and
> we are always talking to customers about different ways to price and package
> our software offerings. The company is evolving its strategy and product
> solutions to meet customer demand and optimize business efficiencies.
>
> .. What is your goal with moving to this download-only model? How have retail
> partners responded?
> o Our goal is to deliver products the way our retail partners and consumers
> are demanding. Retailers are asking for more ways to work with us on the
> digital distribution of Microsoft Money, so many are excited about the
> additional flexibility the Web offers. This move means that our retailers
> can provide more inventory of our products, but require less physical space

KSchindelar

Dec 23, 2008, 7:44:06 AM12/23/08
Mr. Peel, I have been using Money since it was first released over 10 years
ago. I do buy the new version every year even tho it was not really
necessary. Altho I understanding Microsoft's decision regarding a yearly
release [which I tend to agree with], please be assured that I WILL purchase
the new version when it is released! Take care, and Merry Christmas.