Money 2005 start-up error

squirrel

Dec 13, 2009, 6:28:01 PM12/13/09
After the most recent update, I am now getting an error message from 2005
standard, that it encountered an internal error and has to close. There no
re-store function to previous install/update. Any idea what to do?

Rachel

Dec 13, 2009, 8:01:01 PM12/13/09
I am receiving the same exact problem on two different PC's here. One PC has
Vista and one has XP, so I am assuming this is a Microsoft problem and not
one of either of the individual PC's I'm working on. Any guidance would be
extremely helpful.

squirrel

Dec 13, 2009, 8:21:01 PM12/13/09
"Rachel":

Thanks for the chime-in, Rachel. This leads me to believe that is has
nothing to do with my most recent automated Windows XP update that I received
on 10-Dec after I had used money the last time, since you have it on Vista as
well. It appears, I had a Money update this afternoon, just when I tried the
first time to get in.

Teresa

Dec 13, 2009, 9:41:01 PM12/13/09
I have the same problem and do not know how to fix it! Help is anyone
listening to us?

L@discussions.microsoft.com Sheri L

Dec 13, 2009, 9:46:01 PM12/13/09
I have been using it for years now and used it yesterday. Tonight I get this
virisu detection message from my McAfee AV and Money will not execute without
getting this report and closes every time I try to open it. McAfee has
repaired (removed) it.

Detection name: Artemis!B750F778FD59 (Trojan)
File: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFIles\msofd.dll
Process: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFIles\msmoney.exe

D@discussions.microsoft.com Ricky D

Dec 13, 2009, 10:41:01 PM12/13/09
I'm having the same problem and can not access my msmoney 2005 standard data,
that it encountered an interal error and has to close. Has been working fine
until today. I sure wish someone could help me with thise - it is mind
numbing!

LG

Dec 13, 2009, 11:10:01 PM12/13/09
I am having the same problem also. Seams very strange that this is happening
to alot of people on the same day. Never had a problem with it before. We
need help opening money 2005. hope that I dont lose all that important info.
Very disappointed with MS right now. They don't seam to be very helpful.

Nuno5150

Dec 13, 2009, 11:22:33 PM12/13/09
On Dec 13, 8:46 pm, Sheri L <Sheri L...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

I'm having the same internal error with ms money!! It hassomething to
do with the last update. I can restore back to the Dec 10th and
Money works fine. I then do the update, restart and mcafee says it
found an trojan named artemis. Ater that money quits working. Guess
i'm going to have to restore again and not do the update. Any
suggestions? thanks

daniel_allen

Dec 13, 2009, 11:25:00 PM12/13/09
> suggestions?  thanks- Hide quoted text -

I got the same thing today. Only way for me to make Money work is
disable the virus protection. Once virus protection is down, I can
launch Money, work with it and then close it, turn virus protection
back on. I'm hoping a fix will be out soon, but until then it looks
like this will be the only way I can access it.

Nuno5150

Dec 13, 2009, 11:27:12 PM12/13/09
On Dec 13, 10:22 pm, Nuno5150 <n...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> suggestions?  thanks- Hide quoted text -

maybe it could be an McAfee issue. They fixed the trojan. instead
maybe they shouldn't mess with it.

daniel_allen

Dec 13, 2009, 11:33:58 PM12/13/09
> maybe they shouldn't mess with it.- Hide quoted text -

I would definitely say it is a McAfee issue. I have started a chat
with one of their techs to see what they say.

Nuno5150

Dec 14, 2009, 12:09:56 AM12/14/09
On Dec 13, 10:33 pm, daniel_allen <daniel_al...@allenwebservices.com>
> with one of their techs to see what they say.- Hide quoted text -

Please let me know what you find out. i might restore again then
disable mcafee. run the update then see if its the update messing
money up or if its mcafee the culprit.

Jon Ragatz

Dec 14, 2009, 1:22:14 AM12/14/09
On Dec 13, 3:28 pm, squirrel <squir...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> After the most recent update, I am now getting an error message from 2005
> standard, that it encountered an internal error and has to close. There no
> re-store function to previous install/update. Any idea what to do?

Same problem here! Running both Vista and XP. Tried system restore
and it just came back.

daniel_allen

Dec 14, 2009, 7:06:24 AM12/14/09

Well, it said chat, but after I submitted it I got an email saying it
had been submitted. I will let you know what I hear from them.

Ella

Dec 14, 2009, 10:13:01 AM12/14/09
I was beginning to think that this was just an issue I had, but if you have
all experienced the exact same problem ... I'm using Windows XP and even the
backup file I have says it's corrupted. This has only just happened in the
week because it worked perfectly before this. I have McAfee anti-virus too.
Does anyone know anything more?

Bob Peel

Dec 14, 2009, 10:24:17 AM12/14/09
We have seen problems before with AV false alerts. One way that has worked
is to uninstall the AV program - note disabling doesn't work. Reinstall the
update and then reinstall the AV prog.

Bob Peel

"squirrel" <squi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bob Peel

Dec 14, 2009, 10:26:22 AM12/14/09
Note disabling McAfee may not be enough. We have had similar problems
before. You need to uninstall McAfee then update Money and then reinstall
McAfee.

Bob Peel

"Nuno5150" <nu...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

gdav

Dec 14, 2009, 11:13:01 AM12/14/09
It seems I am having the same problem as everyone else.
I used microsoft money 2005 on the 13th December and found the artemis
trojan stopping money from working.
Is it a harmful trojan and will uninstalling my mcafee going to leave my
computer open to viruses.
Do I reinstall money 2005 after uninstalling mcaffee.
Has anyone tried it? Does it work.

WGR

Dec 14, 2009, 12:56:01 PM12/14/09
Hi, I am also experiencing this problem and have not not able to run MS Money
since yesterday (13 December) when I had a McAfee virus detection message.

I have contacted McAfee today and have also run a full scan and nothing was
detected.

This looks like a Windows problem. Does anyone know who to contact at
Microsoft?

This is a major inconvenience.

Ella

Dec 14, 2009, 1:52:02 PM12/14/09
I believe, like you, that this is a Windows problem as well. I contacted the
help team for Microsoft Money via an email contact form and they did get back
to me within a day, however, their help was less than impressive. They
basically told me that they the Microsoft Online Support for Money has been
discontinued and so getting any further help would be difficult. They told me
to try to open the "sample.mny" file to test that, but as I quickly
explained, the program isn't responding to anything, so it won't even open
the sample file. I am still waiting to hear back. If you want to try your
luck with them here's the link that I followed to fill out the contact form:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2351 I suppose the more people that inform
them of this same problem, the more they should listen and do something, but
whether they do or not is probably another question.

daniel_allen

Dec 14, 2009, 3:40:24 PM12/14/09
> > This is a major inconvenience.- Hide quoted text -

Posted on McAfee's site at http://community.mcafee.com/message/104111?tstart=0.
There is a link on Ex_Brit's reply on how to submit the problem McAfee
so they can take a look at it and fix it. I plan on doing it as soon
as I get home.

Ella

Dec 14, 2009, 4:24:01 PM12/14/09
Has anyone solved it yet? I've managed to get mine working and get
everything back as it was. If you go into McAfee the restore bit and look in
the files section there should be a "quarantined" file that belongs to Money
program with the name Artemis in it. If you click the check box and click
restore, you should in theory be able to work Money again. I did that and
everything has been fine, touch wood.

"daniel_allen" wrote:

> .

WGR

Dec 14, 2009, 5:54:01 PM12/14/09
I have tried this and it works.

Many thanks

daniel_allen

Dec 14, 2009, 7:11:55 PM12/14/09
> > > Posted on McAfee's site athttp://community.mcafee.com/message/104111?tstart=0.

> > > There is a link on Ex_Brit's reply on how to submit the problem McAfee
> > > so they can take a look at it and fix it. I plan on doing it as soon
> > > as I get home.

It looks like McAfee took care of it today. VirusScan shows it was
updated to version 13.15.113 on 12/14/2009 and all is good without
having to change a thing or go into McAfee.

Mark

Dec 15, 2009, 2:55:01 PM12/15/09
Yes, all seems to be fixed now with version 13.15.113. You'll still need to
restore the quarantined file once you've updated McAfee though for Money to
work again.

Greg

Dec 15, 2009, 9:14:01 PM12/15/09
I am having the exact same problem and Microsoft is saying they cannot help,
must go on line. On-line has not helped as of yet. Has anyone had any
success with Microsoft? I will try some of the suggestions here in the
discussion group. Has anyone got any new info? I have never had any problem
before. Very frustrated!

Cal Learner-- MVP

Dec 15, 2009, 9:27:30 PM12/15/09
In microsoft.public.money, Greg wrote:

>I am having the exact same problem and Microsoft is saying they cannot help,
>must go on line. On-line has not helped as of yet. Has anyone had any
>success with Microsoft? I will try some of the suggestions here in the
>discussion group. Has anyone got any new info? I have never had any problem
>before. Very frustrated!

Running McAfee?

Greg

Dec 15, 2009, 10:15:01 PM12/15/09
Yes

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> .

Cal Learner-- MVP

Dec 16, 2009, 2:30:13 AM12/16/09
In microsoft.public.money, Greg wrote:

>Yes

There is another thread with subject "Money 2005 start-up error". It
describes a problem with McAfee "quarantining" a needed file, and
the cure is un-quarantining.

They have apparently fixed their database, but it may not fix up the
problem of the false positive on its own.

Mike

Dec 16, 2009, 3:53:01 PM12/16/09
Unfortunately I fell into the trap of sending 1 quarantine file to McAfee
(one of 3 choices, remove, restore, send ) but the second file was said be
too large - removed (why did I do that?) so no files to restore!! I think I
am up the creek without a paddle unless anybody knows better. My Dell had
2005 Works Suite installed and I cannot find a disk to attempt uninstall and
restall.

I understand from the MaAfee Communities Site that the files pulled out are
part of microsoft money buried in the microsoft money 2005/mnycorefiles. The
mnycorefiles folder cannot apparently be seen using windows explorer even
with view hidden files turned on but can be observed using the command prompt
and typing the path (so they say!).