Office 2007 for Mac - when?

Greg King

Feb 27, 2007, 12:32:20 PM2/27/07
Anyone on from the Mac Team as MS who can answer when we will be getting the port of Office 2007 for the Mac? Or even when we will be able to get the patch/fix/update that will allow us to view the *.docx files natively with Office 2003?

Mike Rosenberg

Feb 27, 2007, 4:42:03 PM2/27/07
Greg King <gr...@kingcharter.net> wrote:

> Anyone on from the Mac Team as MS who can answer when we will be getting
> the port of Office 2007 for the Mac?

We'll be getting Office 2008, as recently announced:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-09MacworldPR.mspx

--
<http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml> Mac-themed T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml> Mostly muckraking T-shirts

CyberTaz

Feb 28, 2007, 5:20:04 PM2/28/07
Office 2007 for Mac - when?Anyone on the "Mac Team" is bound by
confidentiality agreements which prevent them from disclosing anything they
might know. Availability will be announced when the time comes.

BTW - Not sarcastically, but out of genuine curiosity, why do you think you
should be informed prior to anyone else or why do you assume the stuff is
ready to go but MS has clandestinely decided to keep it a secret & withhold
it from you? I really am trying to understand.
--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

"Greg King" <gr...@kingcharter.net> wrote in message

Greg King

Feb 28, 2007, 8:06:08 PM2/28/07
Actually, the question was more in the sense of when is general
availability. I haven't been following any of the Mac news and hence my
general question to the MS Mac folks because in my thinking I must of missed
the released date. I don't see where the issue of confidentiality is coming
from. If they know and already released it then it should public knowledge
(as noted in a previous post from someone else about Office 2008). I was not
asking for NDA or confidential information. What I was asking for is the
most informed group of folks (ie. The folks in the Mac group at MS) to
comment on general availability. If they can't or won't that is up to them.

On 2/28/07 2:20 PM, in article #NFJ$X4WHH...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,

Mike Rosenberg

Feb 28, 2007, 9:14:36 PM2/28/07
Greg King <gr...@kingcharter.net> wrote:

> If they know and already released it then it should public knowledge
> (as noted in a previous post from someone else about Office 2008).

And that, Office 2008, _is_ the forthcoming version for the Mac. There
have never been Mac and Windows versions with the same year as the
designation, and the new Mac versions have consistently been the year
following the Windows versions, so this is no exception.

CyberTaz

Mar 1, 2007, 7:57:48 AM3/1/07
In that case I'll be happy to clarify a few of those points as best I can:

1- These newsgroups aren't attended by MS employees. Some may monitor the
groups & interject on an occasional technical issue or "bug", but they don't
actively participate. Responders here are 'civilians' just like you.

2- Release dates for product under development is *always* covered by NDA.

3- The Mactopia web site ( http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ )will most likely
be the earliest & most accurate source of any official information about the
forthcoming version. As of now - AKAIK - the first Beta isn't even available
and the latest "best guess" from MS for the final version is Fall of this
year.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/28/07 8:06 PM, in article C20B6700.254F%gr...@kingcharter.net, "Greg

Jim Gordon MVP

Mar 1, 2007, 4:32:36 PM3/1/07

Miss Ladd, my 8th grade English teacher, used to make sure we got the
message of "always avoid always" and "never say never."

I think Office 4 was released in 1994 on both platforms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office#Versions

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "Mike Rosenberg" <mike...@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>, in article
1hu9k58.eur6p4wvac4mN%mike...@TOGROUPmacconsult.com, on [DATE:

> Greg King <gr...@kingcharter.net> wrote:
>
>> If they know and already released it then it should public knowledge
>> (as noted in a previous post from someone else about Office 2008).
>
> And that, Office 2008, _is_ the forthcoming version for the Mac. There
> have never been Mac and Windows versions with the same year as the
> designation, and the new Mac versions have consistently been the year
> following the Windows versions, so this is no exception.

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Mike Rosenberg

Mar 1, 2007, 4:43:42 PM3/1/07
Jim Gordon MVP <gold...@WarmerThanWarmMail.com> wrote:

> Miss Ladd, my 8th grade English teacher, used to make sure we got the
> message of "always avoid always" and "never say never."
>
> I think Office 4 was released in 1994 on both platforms.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office#Versions

I specifically said "There have never been Mac and Windows versions with
the same year as the designation." Office 4 didn't have a year as the
designation, it had a version number as the designation.

Jim Gordon MVP

Mar 2, 2007, 9:55:57 AM3/2/07
Hi Mike,

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Yes, the year style of naming convention began with Office 97 for Windows.
The Mac name followed suit with Office 98. The convention was abandoned on
Windows with Office XP and Mac Office v.X, but returned with Office 2003 and
Office 2004.

The next version for Windows is the 13th. I wonder if the box will have a
black cat on it and be introduced on a Friday the 13th.

1hub2d3.1i1hwlgoybpp4N%mike...@TOGROUPmacconsult.com, on [DATE:

> Jim Gordon MVP <gold...@WarmerThanWarmMail.com> wrote:
>
>> Miss Ladd, my 8th grade English teacher, used to make sure we got the
>> message of "always avoid always" and "never say never."
>>
>> I think Office 4 was released in 1994 on both platforms.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office#Versions
>
> I specifically said "There have never been Mac and Windows versions with
> the same year as the designation." Office 4 didn't have a year as the
> designation, it had a version number as the designation.

wsjessup

Mar 27, 2007, 8:55:17 PM3/27/07

Or do a Amazon.com search. They usually take pre-orders and at this moment
you can have them notify you by e-mail when it is available. E-mail
notifications are better for me because I don't have to remember to read RSS
feeds or search here and there.

W S Jessup