I was able to restore Windows Update functionality with the help of
Microsoft Support. Their solution is posted below. It turns out it was
a corrupt PC file somewhere. The suspicion I had that it had to do with
the convoluted wireless network feeding my Mac and then more
complicated by Virtual PC was wrong.
Here's the fire-hose solution and I'll never know what a simple fix
would have been:
"After checking the Windows Update log, I found that we have received
the following error message
2006-08-28 13:41:59 3696 f24 Setup FATAL: Error 0x80070057 preparing
file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll for copy
2006-08-28 13:42:03 3696 f24 Setup WARNING: Setup failed while
processing file operations, error = 0x80070003. Rolling back changes.
Based on the Knowledge Base, this issue can be caused by the following
1.The Windows Update engine files are corrupt
2.The Key value in the Registry is not correct
Let's check the following steps to troubleshoot the issue
Step 1: Restart the computer in Safe Mode
1. Reboot your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode,
and then press Enter.
3. Log onto Windows.
NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will look and
perform differently than in normal mode.
Step 2: Remove the corrupted files
1. Click Start-> Search.
2. Select "All files and folders", and then search for the following
If you find any of the above files, please right click to rename this
file to (such as wuapi.old). Please understand that we may not find all
the files listed above. If so, it is normal, and please continue to
search for the rest of the files.
Step 3 Modify the Registry:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click
2. Locate, and then click the following subkey in the registry:
3. In the right pane of Registry Editor, double-click ProgramFilesDir.
4. If the correct path of the Program Files folder is not displayed in
the Value data box, type the correct path of the Program Files folder.
For example, type C:\Program Files.
5. Click OK.
6. Double-click ProgramFilesPath.
7. If %ProgramFiles% is not displayed in the Value data box, type
8. Click OK.
9. Quit Registry Editor
After trying above steps, let's restart the Machine to the Normal
Mode and access the Windows Update site again.