Word crash when activating drawing toolbar

holme...@officeformac.com

Apr 2, 2008, 8:28:25 PM4/2/08
Version: 2008
Processor: Power PC

On any word document, new or existing, I have a complete word crash when I try to activate the drawing toolbar from the view menu. I have the newest update (12.0.1). I have tried waiting out the spinning beach ball for about 15 minutes, but no luck. I have restarted Mac and have had only Word running for multiple attempts.

This crash requires a force quit. The Mac Force Quit menu shows Word "not responding."

Other typical functions are OK, though I have not systematically tried every command. Any ideas?

Daiya Mitchell

Apr 2, 2008, 11:41:24 PM4/2/08
I would suggest that you start by testing the preferences, and normal
template, see the directions at these links. If you previously had an
earlier version of Word, you should test the prefs and normal for Word
2008 and then for earlier versions if the problem is not solved.
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/DamagedPrefs.html
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/macWordNormal.html

holme...@officeformac.com

Apr 3, 2008, 8:46:55 PM4/3/08
Thank you -- the reference to removing specific, potentially damaged preferences did the trick!

Thanks for responding to the post.

nonse...@officeformac.com

Apr 8, 2008, 11:12:57 AM4/8/08
I'm using Word 2004. I tried removing those files, and deleting the normal template, but still get the spinning beach ball. Is there a next step?

Thanks,

nonse...@officeformac.com

Apr 8, 2008, 11:22:53 AM4/8/08
I just tried resetting all toolbars, and it didn't help.

nonsequito

Daiya Mitchell

Apr 8, 2008, 5:44:25 PM4/8/08
lots of steps you can try, all listed here:
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/TroubleshootingIndex.html

Work through them one by one until something helps. If nothing does,
post back. The most common culprit is a corrupted Normal template or
damaged Preferences file.

holme...@officeformac.com

Apr 8, 2008, 11:25:32 PM4/8/08
> I'm using Word 2004. I tried removing those files, and deleting the normal template, but still get the spinning beach ball. Is there a next step?

My only additional step was re-launching Word. All toolbars are working perfectly now.