Citation Manager Format?

njsmith

Apr 4, 2008, 1:56:00 PM4/4/08
I need to format in MLA *submission* style for full text plays and books
(novellas, long works) that are published in anthologies.
An example:

Wilde, Oscar. _The Importance of Being Earnest._ _The Norton Anthologhy of
English Literature_. 8th ed. Vol. E. Ed. Stephen Greenblatt. New York: W. W.
Norton, 2006. 1698-1740.

The MLA submission format (strict version) requires the titles to be
underlined, not italicized (for plays, novellas, complete longer works). And
there must be a hanging indent. Both the author of the work and the editor of
the anthology need to be present.

Can I adjust citation manager to do this? (I will still need the format as
in 'chapter in a book' does - with quotes around the first title - for
poetry, etc.)

Daiya Mitchell

Apr 4, 2008, 2:13:18 PM4/4/08
You asked this question a while back, and I answered it, but here it is
again, in more detail.

Citation Manager is not very end-user adjustable, although experts in
XML can finagle it. Use Help | Send Feedback in Word to tell MS what you
need, and hope they or some third-party XML experts give it to you.

In the meantime, make a copy of the document before submitting. In the
copy, convert the bibliography to plain text (which you ought to do
anyhow to send it out), and then make the changes manually.

There is a tutorial here on creating a custom style:
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2007/12/14/bibliography-citations-1011.aspx

But your problem is that you would need a custom reference type, or at
least some custom/different fields in the source information, and that
tutorial doesn't seem to be written yet, far as I can tell.

Even in EndNote, which is far more powerful, I don't think using Book
Section would come out right because there is no way to say "but wait,
this is a special type of book section that is a complete work!" I guess
with EndNote, Bookends, etc you could set up a custom reference type for
"Complete Work Within a Work", as a near-duplicate variant on the Book
Section/Chapter in a Book format. But I'm pretty sure EndNote doesn't
have a default reference type for this.

Frankly, the built-in Word Citation Manager is aimed at undergraduates,
not professors or researchers. If you are an academic, any time setting
this up would be better invested in Bookends or Endnote. Or Sente, which
I'm less familiar with.