^13 code for finding paragraph marks is broken!

kevino...@hotmail.com

Aug 24, 2005, 2:05:30 PM8/24/05
I have a brand new Mac OS X, version 10.3.9.
In Microsoft Word, when I try to find paragraph marks with ^13 when
wildcards is checked, it says the pattern match expression is not
vaild.
Without wildcards checked, ^13 works fine. And all other codes work
fine with
or without wildards checked.
Does anyone know how I can search on paragraph marks in my version of
Word
with wildcards checked?

PS - strangely, ^10 with wildcards checked returns a message 'not
found', which is equally unhelpful, alas.

matt neuburg

Aug 24, 2005, 5:09:41 PM8/24/05
<kevino...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a brand new Mac OS X, version 10.3.9.
> In Microsoft Word, when I try to find paragraph marks with ^13 when
> wildcards is checked, it says the pattern match expression is not
> vaild.

That's because it isn't valid when wildcards is checked.

> Without wildcards checked, ^13 works fine.

That's because it is valid when wildcards isn't checked.

> Does anyone know how I can search on paragraph marks in my version of
> Word
> with wildcards checked?

Certainly: use \n. Gosh, why didn't you just ask that to start with? m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = ma...@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html

Elliott Roper

Aug 24, 2005, 6:31:55 PM8/24/05
In article <1h1sxus.1g44tq1iucjbsN%ma...@tidbits.com>, matt neuburg
<ma...@tidbits.com> wrote:

> <kevino...@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > Does anyone know how I can search on paragraph marks in my version
> > of Word with wildcards checked?
>
> Certainly: use \n. Gosh, why didn't you just ask that to start with? m.

Oo er! Neato. Where is that documented? Has she got any other friends
not listed in the wildcard help?

I notice that although ^p stops working with wildcards on, ^t is still
OK. It's all a bit inconsistent isn't it?

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

Russs

Aug 25, 2005, 1:09:19 AM8/25/05
On 8/24/05 6:31 PM, in article 240820052331557958%nos...@yrl.co.uk, "Elliott
Roper" <nos...@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1h1sxus.1g44tq1iucjbsN%ma...@tidbits.com>, matt neuburg
> <ma...@tidbits.com> wrote:
>
>> <kevino...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>> Does anyone know how I can search on paragraph marks in my version
>>> of Word with wildcards checked?
>>
>> Certainly: use \n. Gosh, why didn't you just ask that to start with? m.
>
> Oo er! Neato. Where is that documented? Has she got any other friends
> not listed in the wildcard help?
>
> I notice that although ^p stops working with wildcards on, ^t is still
> OK. It's all a bit inconsistent isn't it?

^13 does seem to be 'broken' on the Mac version of Word since this link:
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm
implies that using (*^13)\1 in the find textbox to locate duplicate lines
does need wildcards turned on to work in a Windows based version of Word.

And I think that \n does work for finding a 'newline' on the Mac but not on
a Windows machine, because I tried using a macro I copied from a Mac and ran
at work on a Windows machine to find a newline or paragraph with no success.
--
Russs

drsmN0SPAMikleAThotmailD0Tcom.INVALID <-- fix this before replying

matt neuburg

Aug 25, 2005, 10:38:19 AM8/25/05
Russs <drsN0SP...@hotmailD0Tcom.INVALID> wrote:

> On 8/24/05 6:31 PM, in article 240820052331557958%nos...@yrl.co.uk, "Elliott
> Roper" <nos...@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <1h1sxus.1g44tq1iucjbsN%ma...@tidbits.com>, matt neuburg
> > <ma...@tidbits.com> wrote:
> >
> >> <kevino...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> Certainly: use \n. Gosh, why didn't you just ask that to start with? m.
> >
> > Oo er! Neato. Where is that documented? Has she got any other friends
> > not listed in the wildcard help?
> >
> > I notice that although ^p stops working with wildcards on, ^t is still
> > OK. It's all a bit inconsistent isn't it?
>
> ^13 does seem to be 'broken' on the Mac version of Word since this link:
> http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm
> implies that using (*^13)\1 in the find textbox to locate duplicate lines
> does need wildcards turned on to work in a Windows based version of Word.

Indeed, the online documentation specifically says that ^13 should work.
"Documentation? We don't need no stinkin' documentation!" m.