Word 11.2.3 + OS X 10.4.6 + German hyphenation crash

Emanuel Towfigh

Apr 5, 2006, 6:26:29 PM4/5/06
Hi evereyone,

after updating OS X to 10.4.6, I no longer could use Word -- it crashed on
me every time I attempted to load a document. A thorough search on the net
brought me to this MacFixIt article, exactly describing my problem -- and
ist solution: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060404222937547.

If you've the German Hyphenation file installed and use it in your
document (or normal template), Word will crash. This might be of interest to
some of the users here, so I thought I'd post it...

There is, however, another question: is there any solution to this
problem? Of course you can't constantly live without hyphenation! If anyone
has a solution, please keep me posted!

Cheers,

Emanuel.

Matthias Köngeter

Apr 6, 2006, 3:58:20 AM4/6/06
Hi Emanual,

just in case you have not yet found the solution to the problem
yourself: You can replace the three files relating the the German
hyphenation in Office 2004 by the corresponding three files of Office X
(the path where to copy these in German: Programme/Microsoft Office
2004/Gemeinsame Anwendungen/Korrekturhilfen). I have done so and it
works. I have also seen reports that simply copying the three files
again from the Office 2004 installation disc on your hard drive will
remedy the problem. After any of these two solutions you should be able
to open all your docs again without sacrificing the hyphenation tools
of Word.

Cheers,
Matthias

Emanuel Towfigh

Apr 6, 2006, 8:55:49 AM4/6/06
On 06.04.2006 9:58 Uhr Matthias Köngeter (koen...@euv-frankfurt-o.de)
wrote (Re: [1144310300....@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com]):

Lieber Matthias,
danke für den Tipp!! Tut's auch bei mir! :-)
e.

For non-Germans: re-installing the files from the Office 2004 CD works fine
for me, too. Didn't try the v.X solution.

Daiya Mitchell

Apr 6, 2006, 9:16:06 AM4/6/06

> For non-Germans: re-installing the files from the Office 2004 CD works fine
> for me, too. Didn't try the v.X solution.

Thanks to you both for publicizing this solution. Good news.

How odd that something appears to be corrupting the German Hyphenation
files, but at least there's a workaround.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

peter_...@bluewin.ch

May 3, 2006, 9:47:37 AM5/3/06

peter_...@bluewin.ch

May 3, 2006, 9:54:51 AM5/3/06
The Hyphenation Files were probably changed between Office 11.2.1 and
11.2.3. With the three german hyphenation files from 11.2.1 everything
is perfect again. No crash anymore.

A sunny afternoon lost before I got the help from this group.
Thanks

Peter

May 3, 2006, 9:57:17 AM5/3/06