Office 2004 UPDATE, v11.2

1 view

Pitch

Sep 20, 2005, 3:08:03 PM9/20/05
Office came out with an update this morning. Took awhile for Word's
updater to connect, but was finally able to. Rebuilt permissions,
restarted, and so far, nothing to report. Just wanted to start a thread
so that others could report what works, what doesn't, etc.

>From their site, on this update:

11.2 updater provides expanded support for Microsoft Exchange Server
accounts, performance improvements, security enhancements, and
increased stability for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and
Entourage for Office 2004. This service pack also includes all of the
improvements released in Office 2004 Service Pack 1 (11.1.0), Office
2004 11.1.1 Security Update, and international proofing tools updates.

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Sep 20, 2005, 3:45:36 PM9/20/05
Pitch <pitchbla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Office came out with an update this morning. Took awhile for Word's
> updater to connect, but was finally able to. Rebuilt permissions,
> restarted, and so far, nothing to report. Just wanted to start a thread
> so that others could report what works, what doesn't, etc.

Word is tremendously snappier on my Mac, especialy scrolling up and down
on complex manuscripts with figures. The text also appears to render
much better than before (I used to have a few problems here and there).

Corentin

--
--- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Patricio Mason

Sep 20, 2005, 4:42:35 PM9/20/05
Still there after the 11.2 update: the bug which embeds unwanted
OLE_LINK bookmarks into a Word document whenever you cut/copy & paste
into certain applications. Goes back to Word for X.

Patricio Mason
Santiago, Chile

Michel Bintener

Sep 20, 2005, 5:52:31 PM9/20/05
On 20.09.05 20:45, in article
1h36zii.1j2ssvf14sn01rN%korve...@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-Méneur"
<korve...@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote:

> Word is tremendously snappier on my Mac, especialy scrolling up and down
> on complex manuscripts with figures. The text also appears to render
> much better than before (I used to have a few problems here and there).
>
> Corentin

I can't say much about the text rendering at the moment, but Word is
DEFINITELY more responsive after the SP2 update. Word 2004 used to be really
sluggish, and I remember that this annoyed me a lot when I upgraded from
Office X to 2004. But now, I'd say that Word 2004 is as fast as Word X used
to be, and since I really spend a lot of time in Word, I sure know how to
appreciate this change. Judging from the hour or so that I've had SP2, I'd
say it's a great improvement (and mind you, I don't even use Exchange!).

Daiya Mitchell

Sep 20, 2005, 7:07:20 PM9/20/05
Which certain applications?

The only known causes that I remember getting passed to the MacBU, which was
trying to replicate this, were me using YouControl and someone else who saw
it only when switching back and forth from Classic.

Somewhere on this group is a little macro from a poster that deletes only
OLE_LINK bookmarks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Patricio Mason

Sep 20, 2005, 7:16:48 PM9/20/05
For quite a while now, Word has exhibited an annoying propensity to
forget which Custom Dictionary I want to add new entries to during
spellchecks. No matter which I choose, the choice often does not
survive an application restart, a spellcheck or even a simple closing
of the particular document --Word always jumps back to the first
dictionary in the list.

To circumvent this oddity I could make sure that the Dictionary to add
new words to is always at the top of the list, but this only works well
in a unilingual setting. For those of us working in multiple languages,
this is a royal PITA. Since Word does not provide a mechanism to
promote or demote dictionaries within the list, the only solution is to
constantly remove, then reload the entire custom dictionary arsenal in
the desired order.

The reason I'm mentioning this here is that this irritating
quirk-cum-bug is also still there after the 11.2 update.

Patricio Mason
Santiago, Chile

Patricio Mason

Sep 20, 2005, 7:21:25 PM9/20/05
> Which certain applications?

In my case, FileMaker 6.0v4. Like clockwork.

> Somewhere on this group is a little macro from a poster that deletes only
> OLE_LINK bookmarks.

Couldn't live without it... :-)

Patricio Mason
Santiago, Chile

Loren

Sep 20, 2005, 7:48:11 PM9/20/05
Corrupt fonts problem is still there. Posted about this in m.p.m.office.

Also where is this macro to remove OLE links please. I haven't needed
it yet but I can imagine I mignt. Thanks.

----------------------------
Loren
pls reply in this thread.

Daiya Mitchell

Sep 20, 2005, 7:52:43 PM9/20/05
Just by the way--it'd probably be better if all these separate issues were
*not* on the same thread. Feel free to start new ones, folks, specifying
SP2, of course.

Daiya Mitchell

Sep 20, 2005, 7:56:09 PM9/20/05
On 9/20/05 4:48 PM, "Loren" wrote:

> Also where is this macro to remove OLE links please. I haven't needed
> it yet but I can imagine I mignt. Thanks.

From Kristina Conceicao:

Sub RemoveOLE_Bmarks()

     Dim i As Long
     For i = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Count To 1 Step -1
         If UCase(Left(ActiveDocument.Bookmarks(i).Name, 8)) =
"OLE_LINK" Then
             ActiveDocument.Bookmarks(i).Delete
         End If
     Next i

End Sub

Clive Huggan

Sep 21, 2005, 4:35:57 AM9/21/05
iClip in my experience, Daiya.

CH
===

On 21/9/05 9:07 AM, in article BF55E438.46D44%daiya...@mvps.org.INVALID,

Shawn Larson [MSFT]

Sep 22, 2005, 7:45:26 PM9/22/05
Patricio,

We have found that the issue of bookmarks being automatically created most
commonly occurs when you have Classic running as well as Word 2004, copying
from Word, and then switching to an app. This is still an outstanding issue
for us and we have been working closely with Apple to determine who needs to
address what.

Workarounds include:
* Do not have Classic running while copying from Word 2004
* From within Word, choose Insert, Bookmark, select the superfluous
bookmarks and delete them

--
Shawn Larson
Mac Word Test

>> Find out everything about Microsoft Mac Newsgroups at:
>> [http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups]
>> Check out product updates and news & info at: [http://www.microsoft.com/mac]

On 9/20/05 1:42 PM, in article
1127248955.4...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Patricio Mason"

Patricio Mason

Sep 22, 2005, 8:15:12 PM9/22/05
Shawn Larson [MSFT] wrote:
> Patricio,
>
> We have found that the issue of bookmarks being automatically created most
> commonly occurs when you have Classic running as well as Word 2004

Shawn,

Thanks for taking the time to address this. Trouble is, in my setup
Classic is off by default and in fact I haven't started it in years. So
while it may be a contributing factor, it is clearly not the only
factor; certainly not here.

> Workarounds include:
> * Do not have Classic running while copying from Word 2004

See above.

> * From within Word, choose Insert, Bookmark, select the superfluous bookmarks and delete them

I placed the macro mentioned in this thread in my personalized toolbar.
It does all of the above with one convenient click.

Again, thanks for your interest and I hope the bug is eventually found
and squashed.

Patricio Mason
Santiago, Chile

Clive Huggan

Sep 22, 2005, 9:29:50 PM9/22/05
On 23/9/05 10:15 AM, in article
1127434512.8...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Patricio Mason"
<pma...@ics.cl> wrote:

> Shawn Larson [MSFT] wrote:
>> Patricio,
>>
>> We have found that the issue of bookmarks being automatically created most
>> commonly occurs when you have Classic running as well as Word 2004
>
> Shawn,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to address this. Trouble is, in my setup
> Classic is off by default and in fact I haven't started it in years. So
> while it may be a contributing factor, it is clearly not the only
> factor; certainly not here.

Nor in my case with iClip either, Shawn -- FYI.

Clive Huggan
============

John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Sep 26, 2005, 5:56:57 PM9/26/05
Corrupt Fonts in Tiger was not fixed, because they couldn't find the cause.
They are still working with Apple on the issue.

I wouldn't worry about removing the OLE Links bookmarks: you c an just leave
them there, they won't cause any trouble :-)

On 21/9/05 9:48 AM, in article 2005092019481150073%loren@hotnospammailcom,
"Loren" <lo...@hotnospammail.com> wrote:

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <jo...@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 4 1209 1410