Database Daemon Error Entourage 2008

Ho...@officeformac.com

Feb 21, 2008, 8:54:36 PM2/21/08
Receiving above error and Entourage quits starting right after the latest Mac OSX update for my MacBook Pro (10.5.2)
I have checked for duplicate daemons in my start up items - not the issue
Was able to get office notifications turned off in the 20 seconds before entourage quits (every time) after start up. Still crashes.
I have run the utility to check the database - says the database is fine
Any suggestions?
database size is 805MB
Thanks
Hope

Diane Ross

Feb 21, 2008, 9:45:30 PM2/21/08
On 2/21/08 5:54 PM, in article ee8e5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Ho...@officeformac.com" <Ho...@officeformac.com> wrote:

Even though you have done some of these, I'm including the full instructions
for others that might find this thread.

First make sure you do not have both Entourage 2004 and Entourage 2008
running concurrently. You will get a Daemon fatal error if you have...

Next...Check your Startup Items in System Preferences for duplicate daemons.
If you have more than one, delete all and let Entourage create a new one
when launched.

Try trashing the preference file in your User's Preference folder:

com.microsoft.entourage.database_daemon.plis

If all of these fail, The error probably means database corruption. I would
recommend rebuilding the database. Note you could test your database in a
new User. Drag your Microsoft User Data folder to the Shared folder, create
a new User in System Preferences and switch to the New User. Drag the
Microsoft User Data folder to Documents (this will copy the file). Open
Entourage to test. Don't forget to drag it back from Shared after you finish
testing. If the database fails in the new User, you know you need to
rebuild. Make sure you have plenty of room on your HD.

How to rebuild database:

As with any procedure like rebuild, itšs a good idea to make a backup prior
to running. Your data should not be erased, but if something fails during
this process data could be lost. To be doubly sure, duplicate your Identity
in the Finder folder prior to the rebuild.

Your Identity is located in Your User's Document folder inside the Microsoft
User Data folder.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/database/index.html#db1>

Make sure you have enough hard disk space available for twice the size of
your database. As part of the rebuilding process, Entourage creates a second
database file. (Note: your HD also needs breathing room to function)

1. On the Entourage menu, click Turn Off Office Reminders.
2. Quit Messenger and all Microsoft Office applications, including
Entourage.

Hold down the Option key and re-launch the application. In a few seconds,
youšll be greeted with the database utility. You can verify and, if
necessary, rebuild the Entourage database by using the Microsoft Database
Utility.

During the rebuild process, the old files are renamed in case for some
reason the rebuild was not successful. After youšve rebuilt your database
and checked the applicationšs performance, you can delete the old version
from your hard drive. Do NOT throw away these files unless you are satisfied
with the rebuild:

Old files are named:

Main [Backed up date and time will be shown] e.g. Main [Backed up 1.21.2007
13.35]

For help with older version of Entourage see:
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/database/rebuild.html>

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>

Dimitrios Mastro

Mar 10, 2008, 10:15:44 PM3/10/08
While the engineers of Pocketmac for Blackberry are struggling to make their software sync my bbery with Entourage 12 (MS Office 2008), I have a question and another, more immediate problem.
1. Qu.: I'd like to put the new Entourage on ice, until it syncs properly with my bberry and go back to the 2004 Entourage. HOW CAN I DO THAT? HAVING TRIED IT I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT THE MAIN IDENTITY CANNOT BE OPENED WITH THAT VERSION OF ENTOURAGE. I have played with preferences but I must be missing something...

2. New problem: Duplicates of every message are downloaded in the new Entourage's Inbox. The messages could be from others or self addressed by me.
There were remnants of Norton Antivirus 9.0.4 that came through the Data transfer from the PowerBook G4 that I thought may be causing this. I have manually deleted all its bits and pieces but the duplicates still occur. MacBook Air, 10.5.2, Office 2008.

Any thoughts? of course a solution to 1. would take care of 2. too!
Thank you! :chagrin:

Diane Ross

Mar 12, 2008, 1:12:54 AM3/12/08
On 3/10/08 7:15 PM, in article ee8e...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Dimitrios
Mastro" <dima...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to put the new Entourage on ice, until it syncs properly with my
> bberry and go back to the 2004 Entourage. HOW CAN I DO THAT? HAVING TRIED IT I
> GET THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT THE MAIN IDENTITY CANNOT BE OPENED WITH THAT
> VERSION OF ENTOURAGE. I have played with preferences but I must be missing
> something...

"This Identity Cannot Be Opened With This Version of Entourage"
This message usually means, for example, that Entourage is at 11.0, but the
saved database was saved in a more updated version. Since there was a
database format change in there, Entourage 11.0 cannot open a database
saved in later version.

Links to updaters needed.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/downloads/mactopia_dl.html>