how to create database?

bbqd...@officeformac.com

Jan 26, 2008, 5:35:56 PM1/26/08
I installed Office 2008 on my mac (running leopard). Every time I open an application, I get an error message that says:
 "There is a problem with the office database. Office might be unable to access the database or the database file might be damaged. Without the database, you might be unable to use the Address Book, Scrapbook, and other features that store your personal information. To rebuild the database, open Microsoft Office database utility, etc.... ".

When I run the Database utility, there is no available database to update, rebuild, etc. I tried uninstalling the suite and then reinstalling and still have no way to build a new database.

Microsoft "help" has tips to create new identities in Entourage, but when I try to open Entourage, I get "Entourage cannot access your data. To attempt to fix the problem, rebuild your database".

And then I'm back to the fact that there are no databases to fix in the database utility.

How do I fix this issue?

Diane Ross

Jan 27, 2008, 8:34:26 PM1/27/08
On 1/26/08 2:35 PM, in article ee8ab...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"bbqd...@officeformac.com" <bbqd...@officeformac.com> wrote:

Let's go over a couple of basics first.

Entourage creates Identities where the Mac OS creates Users. Each Identity
contains a database file. Inside this database is all of your data.

Microsoft Office also has a Microsoft Database daemon that's used to access
Notifications (2004)/Reminders (2008). This daemon is used by all of the
Office applications. If you have Reminders turned on, then there should be
ONE Microsoft Database daemon in your Startup Items. (check in System
Preferences --> Accounts)

To rebuild the database hold down the Option key when starting Entourage and
select to rebuild your database. I will automatically rebuild your current
default Identity's database.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>

ale...@violetmount.com

Feb 1, 2008, 5:31:35 AM2/1/08
Hi Diane

I have the exact same problem with Office 08.

Holding down Option when starting Entourage just makes the Database
Manager open straight away where there are still no identities to fix.

ale...@violetmount.com

Feb 1, 2008, 5:38:27 AM2/1/08
Oh, fixed it by trashing my 'Main Identity' folder.

It's a good job I use Apple Mail for emails and not Entourage.

justf...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 11:40:51 AM3/12/08
Deleting "Main Identity" only did not help me. Here is how I solved
it:

1- Deleted "Microsoft User Data" folder under Documents
2- Deleted all com.microsoft.* under ~/Library/Preferences
3- Deleted Microsoft folder under ~/Library/Preferences

I then re-ran Office Setup Assistant, and problem solved.