email attachment size coming through at 0kb

hsch...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2007, 3:03:01 AM10/15/07
hi
i set up 2 mac users on entourage for e-mail on our exchange server
2007. when thay send email with a attachment internal is gets through,
but out side, it shows at 0.kb.
please help.

Henry

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2007, 11:36:39 AM10/15/07

What makes you think this is a problem caused by Entourage rather than
your Exchange server or spam filtering service?

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
absolutely must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send

JR

Kajsa Sexton

Oct 15, 2007, 5:16:36 PM10/15/07
I too, am having this issue, (or the file reads as corrupted). I have been
through all the possibilities with both my Exchange server and Spam
filtering and have been informed that this is a common Entourage problem.

Kajsa

On 10/15/07 11:36 AM, in article 2007101510363943658-jollyroger@poboxcom,

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2007, 7:21:40 PM10/15/07
On 2007-10-15 16:16:36 -0500, Kajsa Sexton <ka...@jgkinc.net> said:

> On 10/15/07 11:36 AM, in article 2007101510363943658-jollyroger@poboxcom,
> "Jolly Roger" <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-10-15 02:03:01 -0500, hsch...@gmail.com said:
>>
>>> i set up 2 mac users on entourage for e-mail on our exchange server
>>> 2007. when thay send email with a attachment internal is gets through,
>>> but out side, it shows at 0.kb.
>>> please help.
>>
>> What makes you think this is a problem caused by Entourage rather than
>> your Exchange server or spam filtering service?
>

> I too, am having this issue, (or the file reads as corrupted). I have been
> through all the possibilities with both my Exchange server and Spam
> filtering and have been informed that this is a common Entourage problem.

Nope, it most certainly is *not* a common problem with Entourage. In
fact we have over 40 installations of Entourage in my corporation and
not one has this problem.

William Smith

Oct 15, 2007, 9:17:46 PM10/15/07
Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2007-10-15 16:16:36 -0500, Kajsa Sexton <ka...@jgkinc.net> said:
>
>> On 10/15/07 11:36 AM, in article 2007101510363943658-jollyroger@poboxcom,

>>> What makes you think this is a problem caused by Entourage rather than
>>> your Exchange server or spam filtering service?
>>
>> I too, am having this issue, (or the file reads as corrupted). I have
>> been
>> through all the possibilities with both my Exchange server and Spam
>> filtering and have been informed that this is a common Entourage problem.
>
> Nope, it most certainly is *not* a common problem with Entourage. In
> fact we have over 40 installations of Entourage in my corporation and
> not one has this problem.

I agree with JR. It's not a common problem.

And by the original description of the problem it doesn't sound like an
Entourage problem. If messages sent internally are fine but sent
externally are damaged then the outgoing mail server or, more likely,
the recipient's incoming server are stripping the attachment.

One method to test whether or not Entourage is the culprit is to send
one message with an attachment to both an internal and an external
address. After verifying the internal recipient receives the attachment
and the external recipient does not receive the attachment then use
Entourage, OWA or Outlook to view the Sent Items folder of the sending
account. Does the outgoing message still contain an attachment? If so,
then Entourage is working fine.

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>

kevinb

Oct 18, 2007, 12:30:11 PM10/18/07
I'm having the same problem - we're using Entourage with Exchange
2007. Does anyone have recommendations I can pass on to our Exchange
admins?

Kevin

On Oct 15, 9:17 pm, William Smith <meckli...@REM0VETH1S.comcast.net>
wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:

> > On2007-10-15 16:16:36 -0500, Kajsa Sexton <ka...@jgkinc.net> said:

> >> I too, am having this issue, (or the file reads as corrupted). I have
> >> been

> >> through all the possibilities with both myExchangeserver and Spam

Oplaat@discussions.microsoft.com Derek Oplaat

Oct 22, 2007, 2:20:02 PM10/22/07
Hello,

I have te same issue..
Internal goes fine , external gets the att. as 0 kb.

I have disabled the spamfilter/virusscans.
I upgraded from exchange 2003 sp2 to exchange 2007 (new domain)
in exchange 2003 it works and in exchange 2007 the att. is 0kb when sending a
.EPS or other format.

When i access OWA it works fine , or Outlook works fine.. Entourage 2004 (x)
does not work well...

thanks,
Derek

Doug

Nov 8, 2007, 11:08:03 AM11/8/07
We are getting reports of this exact issue. We are also at Update Rollup 4.
I noticed that Update Rollup 5 for Exchange Server 2007 is out and one of the
issues that is fixes sounds similar to the problem everyone is having:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941421

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940080/

Dave Buxton

Jan 3, 2008, 1:22:57 PM1/3/08
In article <1192725011....@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
kevinb <viefhue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having the same problem - we're using Entourage with Exchange
> 2007. Does anyone have recommendations I can pass on to our Exchange
> admins?

This exact problem started for us when we updated our Exchange 2000
installation to Exchange 2007 (8.0.685.24). Clients are a mixture of Mac
and Win, the affected clients are all Microsoft Entourage 2004 11.3.3 or
later running on Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later (PPC and Intel).

We see the following behaviour:

* Compose new message in Entourage, addressed to external Internet
address
* Attach one or more files using default settings
* Send message, appears as appropriate size in sent items
* External recipient receives message except attachments are each 0
bytes.

Our current workaround is to make sure the message is composed in
Entourage using MIME/Base64 encoding for attachments. The default is
AppleDouble. Using Base64 works every time (but annoys some of our Mac
recipients, and annoys me).

Looking closely at the received message, the attachments are sent but
the data is stripped. Here's a typical MIME part for a file that was
several hundred kilobytes when attached:

Using the Microsoft Message Tracking tool in Exchange Management Console
I can see the message pass through our server to the outside, and it
shows that the size of the message is suddenly 2 kilobytes after passing
through ContentConversion.

Here are statistics for one mangled message:

1. Message from client to our mail server

Timestamp : 03/01/2008 14:52:43
SourceContext :
ConnectorId :
Source : STOREDRIVER
EventId : RECEIVE
InternalMessageId : 45573
TotalBytes : 1039022
RecipientCount : 1
RelatedRecipientAddress :
Reference :
MessageSubject : Test1
MessageInfo : 03I:

2. Message gets mangled by our mail server

Timestamp : 03/01/2008 14:52:43
SourceContext : ContentConversion
ConnectorId :
Source : ROUTING
EventId : TRANSFER
InternalMessageId : 45574
TotalBytes : 1779
RecipientCount : 1
RelatedRecipientAddress :
Reference : {45573}
MessageSubject : Test1
MessageInfo :

So it seems to me that the fault is Exchange helpfully misidentifying
AppleDouble encoding and stripping the attachment.

Workaround is to not use AppleDouble encoding.

Hope this helps,

David B.

Jolly Roger

Jan 3, 2008, 3:16:08 PM1/3/08
In article <dbuxton-A5ED84...@msnews.microsoft.com>,
Dave Buxton <dbu...@tfg.uk.com> wrote:

> So it seems to me that the fault is Exchange helpfully misidentifying
> AppleDouble encoding and stripping the attachment.

I've figured that was the cause all along.

> Workaround is to not use AppleDouble encoding.

Or don't use Exchange. : D

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you

must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR

davidw...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2008, 4:28:11 PM1/3/08
On Jan 3, 8:16 pm, Jolly Roger <jollyro...@pobox.com> wrote:
> In article <dbuxton-A5ED84.18225703012...@msnews.microsoft.com>,

> Dave Buxton <dbux...@tfg.uk.com> wrote:
>
> > So it seems to me that the fault is Exchange helpfully misidentifying
> > AppleDouble encoding and stripping the attachment.
>
> I've figured that was the cause all along.

Do you know if this bug is fixed in any of the Exchange security
rollups or in service pack 1?

> > Workaround is to not use AppleDouble encoding.
>
> Or don't use Exchange. : D

We got a little burnt (singed, I guess) in our migration from v2000 to
v2007 but things are settled nicely now. The heat prompted my boss to
express an interest in my pet rant that we should provide an
alternative mailbox server using plain IMAP/SMTP for those users who
don't care about the integrated calendaring and scheduling that
Exchange/Outlook provides.

I like Exchange. I just don't like its narrow view of what constitutes
a full-featured email client. And I hate its anti-Internet approach to
email.

David B.

davidw...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2008, 5:30:37 AM2/18/08
On Jan 3, 6:22 pm, Dave Buxton <dbux...@tfg.uk.com> wrote:
> So it seems to me that the fault is Exchange helpfully misidentifying
> AppleDouble encoding and stripping theattachment.
>
> Workaround is to not use AppleDouble encoding.

We finally installed service pack 1 and that seems to have fixed it!
Amir Haque @ Microsoft confirmed that sp1 includes the fix on his
blog: http://blogs.technet.com/amir/archive/2008/02/08/how-does-entourage-work.aspx#2880326

David.