Re: Safari 3.0 and Microsoft Messenger (Mac): Compatibility Problems

1 view
Message has been deleted

cm0901

Jun 12, 2007, 9:05:10 AM6/12/07
On 12 Giu, 14:28, sean fahy <sse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> I just downloaded the Safari 3 public beta from apple.com, and
> messenger doesn't seem to like it at all.
> Signing in takes considerably longer now.
> I cannot change my display picture without the application crashing
> and forcing its-self to quit.
> I cannot resize *any* Messenger window without a crash resulting.
>
> I noticed in the crash report that messenger uses webkit, so there is
> obviously an issue with the way messenger uses this engine... or
> something along those lines anyway :)
>
> Ah well, untill MS get this sorted, im using Adium :)
>
> Sean

Maybe M$ will move on for a new version... Let's hope for the best,
but prepare for the worst :)

shunulu

Jun 12, 2007, 11:36:03 AM6/12/07
On Jun 12, 3:28 pm, sean fahy <sse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> I just downloaded the Safari 3 public beta from apple.com, and
> messenger doesn't seem to like it at all.
> Signing in takes considerably longer now.
> I cannot change my display picture without the application crashing
> and forcing its-self to quit.
> I cannot resize *any* Messenger window without a crash resulting.
>
> I noticed in the crash report that messenger uses webkit, so there is
> obviously an issue with the way messenger uses this engine... or
> something along those lines anyway :)
>
> Ah well, untill MS get this sorted, im using Adium :)
>
> Sean

by the way, Safari 3.0b is really Beta ! it broke down my transparent
dock and i can't fix it because T-dock wants 10.4.8, not 10.4.9 :
( First time Apple's beta program mixed my sistem. i deleted it

11sc...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2007, 11:38:40 AM6/12/07
I have the same problem too. I've noticed that this happens whether
or not you save the conversation. I also thought that this is some
webkit issue. But it appears to be a referenced file... so maybe MS
is including code that they didn't make... sort of like copying...
again. I have sent feedback, but I doubt anything will be done for a
long time... because most of the time people don't support beta
confilct issues.

Also, another thing I've noticed...
- When Safari 3 is installed, the text cursor in an open chat window
will be the color of text that you type.
- When Safari 2 is installed, the text cursor is normal... a.k.a.
black.

Hopefully we see a quick fix for that... but most likely not. I've
just reverted back to Safari 2 for now... but I love Safari 3.

jwaa...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2007, 1:49:48 PM6/12/07
I was having the same crashing problem with Microsoft Messenger for
Mac when closing a conversation. I tried all sorts of different
settings and reinstalling. I eventually had to uninstall the Safari 3
beta and it works now without crashing.

I have no other choice but to use Microsoft Messenger for Mac because
I'm stuck using Microsoft's Live Communication Server.

JJ

Jun 13, 2007, 8:34:55 AM6/13/07
I'm having problems as described here!

singhal...@yahoo.co.in

Jun 13, 2007, 9:55:31 AM6/13/07
i am just learning how to use newsgroup

sobeautifu...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2007, 6:06:31 PM6/13/07

have exactly the same problem, tried to deinstall Safari 3, but i
think i didn't it the right way (empty library/preferences files), or
does Safari 3 also make spme changes to a root file or something?

thanks in advance

Rebecca Harriss [MSFT]

Jun 13, 2007, 6:27:32 PM6/13/07
We received the Safari beta on Monday afternoon just as everyone else did.
We are in the process of doing compatibility testing, granted this is a
beta. Messenger does use WebKit and Safari makes changes to WebKit for this
beta.

We will work with Apple to try and resolve these issues. In the interim,
Messenger 6.0.2 and Safari 3 Beta do have some incompatibilities.

I was able to use the uninstaller that came with the beta and it appeared to
resolve issues that only reproduced with the beta installed.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca Harriss
Microsoft Corporation
Macintosh Business Unit, SDET

This posting is provided ³AS IS² with no warranties, and confers no rights.

On 6/13/07 6:06 PM, in article
1181772391.0...@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com,

cm0901

Jun 14, 2007, 4:02:13 AM6/14/07

Rebecca Harriss [MSFT] ha scritto:

> We received the Safari beta on Monday afternoon just as everyone else did.
> We are in the process of doing compatibility testing, granted this is a
> beta. Messenger does use WebKit and Safari makes changes to WebKit for this
> beta.
>
> We will work with Apple to try and resolve these issues. In the interim,
> Messenger 6.0.2 and Safari 3 Beta do have some incompatibilities.
>
> I was able to use the uninstaller that came with the beta and it appeared to
> resolve issues that only reproduced with the beta installed.
>
> Thanks,
> Rebecca
>
> Rebecca Harriss
> Microsoft Corporation
> Macintosh Business Unit, SDET

Can we hope in some, even small, new features?

jwaa...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2007, 11:22:14 AM6/17/07

Use the uninstall program that came with the beta. Just moving the
application and preferences files to the trash will not work.