IE7 only as administrator

France

Jan 8, 2009, 8:49:26 AM1/8/09
Hi! I have a question. I haven't changed anything on my PC (Windows Vista
Home Premium regularly updated with service pack etc, Norton 360 2.0), but
from yesterday i can't launch ie7. Only with right-click, run as
administrator. yesterday i try to launch a link from windows mail, but
nothing happened. so i tried to double click on ie icon and nothing
happened. with right-click-administrator all worked fine. so i changed the
default browser (Google chrome) and clicking on the link in windows mail all
worked fine. So i think the issue is in "ie7". Any suggestion? I have seen
that windows update have recently installed a new definition update for
windows defender (KB915597 definition 1.49.1455.0). May be related?
Also...sometimes (never happened before) surfing on web i am redirected to
searchfeed.com.... may be related? can a malware redirect to web page AND
block ie7 as non administrator?. Thanx for your attention. Sorry for my bad
english
Francesco

France

Jan 8, 2009, 9:28:54 AM1/8/09
edit: if I right-click the IE short-cut, go to Properties, the Advanced
button,
and check on Always Run as Administrator all works fine, but it ask me if i
want continue.....
"France" <f.cara...@do.med.unipi.it> ha scritto nel messaggio

Francesco Caracciolo, MD
Head of Intensive Chemotherapy - Lymphoma Unit
Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
Dept. of Oncology, Transplants and New Technologies
University of Pisa - Ospedale Santa Chiara
Pisa Italy
f.cara...@do.med.unipi.it
phone +39050992761
fax +39050992903

France

Jan 8, 2009, 10:06:51 AM1/8/09
edit:
if i start in "safe mode" i can run IE7 as non-administrator.... any
suggestion?
thanx

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 8, 2009, 11:54:58 PM1/8/09
Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,

independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreItalia) computer repair shop.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

France wrote:
> edit: if I right-click the IE short-cut, go to Properties, the Advanced
> button,
> and check on Always Run as Administrator all works fine, but it ask me if
> want continue.....

France

Jan 9, 2009, 9:26:29 AM1/9/09
thanx for your suggestion. i'll try and let you know.
francesco

France

Jan 10, 2009, 8:54:09 AM1/10/09
No malware. The issue is still present. Something related to Windows
Defender recent updates?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 10, 2009, 5:21:16 PM1/10/09
And you would be replying to...?

France

Jan 11, 2009, 2:58:49 AM1/11/09
Hi Mr Bear. I have followed your suggestions. scanned looking for malware,
no infections (http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx,
Ad-ware Lavasoft, Norton 360 the last every day running). i would like to
understand why in safe mode all works fine, and other browers (Google
Chrome, Mozilla) work always fine. Uninstalled Adobe flash player (read
about issues with this software) nothing. I've also installed IE8 beta: the
only thing that has changed that when i launch IE8 i can see a sort of flash
(the program that tries to run) and nothing else. as usual...right-click,
run as administrator, IE starts.... :-(

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 11, 2009, 4:31:25 PM1/11/09
[Francesco, it helps immensely if you include all of previous message(s) in
your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

Installing IE8 Beta 2 is NOT going to help. In fact, doing so only
complicates matters. (I'm sure that it did NOT install properly.)

Your next step should be:

> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
> (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything
> on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
> review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreItalia) computer repair shop.
--

~PA Bear

<paste>

France

Jan 12, 2009, 8:25:02 AM1/12/09
thank you Bear. ?ve posted on
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0. I'll let
you know.
Bye
francesco

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 12, 2009, 10:33:35 AM1/12/09
You have a Vundo infection, at minimum.

=> Your thread at spywarehammer.com:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=1702.0

=> Your thread at Spybot Forums:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=43936

Did you install Norton 360 after this problem started? When does your
subscription expire?

France

Jan 13, 2009, 3:14:56 PM1/13/09
hi! the problem has been resolved by spywarehammer team! as regard your
question on my notebook is present norton360, regularly updated. my
subscription will expire next july. neither norton neither microsoft's
Malicious Software Removal Tool neither Ad-Lavasoft has recognized Vundo,
that was present and fixed as suggested by spywarehammer team. i like to
thanx this team