Full Scanning

1 view

Dar

Nov 18, 2009, 10:09:01 AM11/18/09
I have windows vista home premium sp2 64bit. I have no idea what is going on.
I tryed to do a full scan with Windows defender and it stalls and I have to
shut the computer off by pressing the off button. And the same thing happens
when I do a full scan with KIS 2010. It freezes up at 45%. And I have to shut
it down by pressing the off button here to. Now when I scanned with KIS last
week there was nothing wrong. I am stumped need alot of help please.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 18, 2009, 11:01:37 AM11/18/09
What anti-virus application was installed before you installed KIS 2010 and
was your subcription still current?

Have you purchased KIS 2010?

dar

Nov 18, 2009, 9:47:56 PM11/18/09
> > of help please.- Hide quoted text -

I did not know I posted twice. When I bought this computer HP had
norton but I had Best Buy where I bought it take it off and put on
KIS. Now when KIS had an update for application version I downloaded
it and saved it to my computer than I exited out of KIS unistalled it
and restarted my computer and then installed the newer version. I did
a full scan and it did just fine. But yesterday it would freeze at 45
% So I went to Windows defender and tried to do a full scan there and
after about 35 min it froze up. I never incountered this before so
maybe I did not leave it alone long enough I do not know. Called Best
Buy and they said it may have something to do with the hard drive. I
don't know. But I wanted to have windows 7 put on my computer (bought
it in march 2009) and thought I would make them wipe everything out
and then download Windows 7. Now I alway take your advise when you
have helped me before. So what do you think about putting Windows 7
and then I won't have the problem I have now. I am not computer wise.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 19, 2009, 2:28:26 AM11/19/09
dar wrote:
>>> I have windows vista home premium sp2 64bit. I have no idea what is
>>> going
>>> on. I tryed to do a full scan with Windows defender and it stalls and I
>>> have to shut the computer off by pressing the off button. And the same
>>> thing happens when I do a full scan with KIS 2010. It freezes up at 45%.
>>> And I have to shut it down by pressing the off button here to. Now when
>>> scanned with KIS last week there was nothing wrong. I am stumped need
>>> alot
>>> of help please.
>>
>> What anti-virus application was installed before you installed KIS 2010
>> and
>> was your subcription still current?
>>
>> Have you purchased KIS 2010?
>
> I did not know I posted twice. When I bought this computer HP had
> norton but I had Best Buy where I bought it take it off and put on
> KIS. Now when KIS had an update for application version I downloaded
> it and saved it to my computer than I exited out of KIS unistalled it
> and restarted my computer and then installed the newer version. I did
> a full scan and it did just fine. But yesterday it would freeze at 45
> % So I went to Windows defender and tried to do a full scan there and
> after about 35 min it froze up. I never incountered this before so
> maybe I did not leave it alone long enough I do not know. Called Best
> Buy and they said it may have something to do with the hard drive. I
> don't know. But I wanted to have windows 7 put on my computer (bought
> it in march 2009) and thought I would make them wipe everything out
> and then download Windows 7. Now I alway take your advise when you
> have helped me before. So what do you think about putting Windows 7
> and then I won't have the problem I have now. I am not computer wise.
> Thank you for any help you can give me.

Is the 8-month old computer still under Warranty or Service Contract, Dar?

Can you update Windows Defender manually?

If you purchased your computer in March 2009, I'd very much doubt you'd
qualify for a free upgrade to Win7...but only Best Buy would be able to tell
you for sure.

dar

Nov 19, 2009, 9:39:18 AM11/19/09
> you for sure.- Hide quoted text -

I will try to update windows defender. And no windows 7 is not free
for me but I was going to pay for it and have Best Buy put it in for
me. But I was going to have them clean everything off and start from
the beginning. I hope that is right.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 19, 2009, 1:13:39 PM11/19/09
> I will try to update windows defender. And no windows 7 is not free
> for me but I was going to pay for it and have Best Buy put it in for
> me. But I was going to have them clean everything off and start from
> the beginning. I hope that is right.

Let's stay on-topic here, please.

Repost: Is this 8-month old computer still under Warranty or Service
Contract? [yes/no]

dar

Nov 19, 2009, 9:39:16 PM11/19/09
> Contract? [yes/no]- Hide quoted text -

Yes it is still under warranty

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 20, 2009, 1:59:20 AM11/20/09
> Yes it is still under warranty

Take it back to Best Buy/Geek Squad. Tell them you want the following done
or you want your money back:

1. Back-up your personal data.
2. Format & reinstall Windows.
3. Uninstall the Norton crap AND THEN run the Norton Removal Tool.*
4. Reinstall KIS & get it fully-updated.
5. Get Vista SP2 and all critical security updates released to-date
installed.
6. Allow you to use the computer for at least one (1) hour before you
sign-off on the work order & take it home, so you know that it's working
correctly.

If they give you any resistance, wave your receipt in their face and tell
them you'll call your credit card company & contest the charge.

==================
* If the techs don't know what the Norton Removal Tool is, get your money
back.

Hot-text

Nov 20, 2009, 3:16:49 AM11/20/09
PA Bear you right like always

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

dar

Nov 21, 2009, 10:44:41 PM11/21/09
On Nov 20, 3:16 am, "Hot-text" <hot-t...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> PA Bear  you right like always
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:uz6G1Aba...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > back.- Hide quoted text -

I wanted to let you know before I was going to take it in I did a
system recovery and uninstalled KIS and then put the disc in of KIS
and downloaded it and it said there was a newer application version
and I clicked yes and it download and then I did a full scan no
problem and then went to windows defender and did a full scan there
and no problem there everything is up and running like it should. I
think ( I am not sure) that when I was updating to the newer version
the first time I might of done the wrong thing. I download it to my
desktop and then uninstalled KIS and then reinstalled that's when I
think the problems started. So anyway thank you for your help.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 22, 2009, 2:10:45 AM11/22/09
dar wrote:
<snip>

> I wanted to let you know before I was going to take it in I did a
> system recovery and uninstalled KIS and then put the disc in of KIS
> and downloaded it and it said there was a newer application version
> and I clicked yes and it download and then I did a full scan no
> problem and then went to windows defender and did a full scan there
> and no problem there everything is up and running like it should. I
> think ( I am not sure) that when I was updating to the newer version
> the first time I might of done the wrong thing. I download it to my
> desktop and then uninstalled KIS and then reinstalled that's when I
> think the problems started. So anyway thank you for your help.

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.