My Dear Microsoft,
Thank you for offering me the latest download for Internet Explorer 7.
Last week I took up your offer of the free download and installed it
last Saturday. As for the installation all went very well with no
errors encountered. It even connected to the WWW and displayed web
pages very well.
However, during the installation, without my knowledge, you (Microsoft)
fell back on a ten year old attitude of assuming that you knew better
what the customer wanted then the customer himself. This falls back on
the old arrogant attitude of Microsoft that whatever Microsoft wants to
do it will because it can.
Now the case i point that generates this post.
I am a web site developer and during the process of developing web sites
for my customers I test the web documents with Internet Explorer and
SeaMonkey (Mozilla product) for compatibility and rendering quality.
I use several products creating web sites and some are TextPad (text
editor), Apache Web Server for Windows XP, Internet Explorer, SeaMonkey,
and CSE HTML Validator.
All of my web sites are hosted on Unix/Linux server boxes running Apache
Web Server software, in order to verify all server side functions
embedded into the web document I pass the open document through a
browser button in TextPad. This sends the document through my Apache
Server and onto SeaMonkey.
Since installing Internet Explorer 7 the following has occurred.
1. All of my HTML files icons have changed to IE.
2. All of my SHTML files have remained associated with SeaMonkey.
3. When I send the open document through the browser tab in TexPad the
a. The HTML document begins to open SeaMonkey and instantly closes.
b. The SHTML document opens SeaMonkey and is viewed through the Apache
4. When I use Windows Explorer to anvigate to web documents and double
click on a HTML file SeaMonkey opens the file.
5. I have read through this news group (over 10000 posts) and discovered
several possible solutions, none corrected the problem.
6. I have visited the Microsoft Internet Explorer Support site and found
some more possible solutions, none corrected the problem.
7. I have tried every method I know to force Windows XP Pro sr2 to
assign the correct program for HTML file associations and all I get is a
change in icons in Folder Options/Files.
8. I have uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 reverting back to IE 6, this
did not correct the problem.
9. I used System Restore to set Windows back to a restore point prior to
installing IE7. That did correct the problem by 99%.
10. The one percent not corrected is the icons attached to HTML
documents, they are still attached to IE 6.
11. The SHTML documents were not affected and still are attached to
This all sounds like a problem between TextPad - Apache - SeaMonkey,
when using System Restore the problem was corrected.
I will not go back to IE 7, I no longer trust Microsoft to leave my
system alone when upgrading such an important application as a web
browser and related applications used to create web documents.
I am suspecting there might be a Windows Registry modification required,
but I have no idea where to look, or how to make that change.
Anybody have a proven method to correct the incorrect icon assignment to