Sending Audio & Video through Internet Mail

Virginia Lang

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

I have attached .wav files to messages, the same way I would any other
file.
I didn't have any problem with this.

Robin Boeling <rboe...@cypressdelivers.com> wrote in article
<3380AA...@cypressdelivers.com>...
> Is it possible to send Audio & Video clips through Internet Mail? The
> marketing department would like to be able to send a multimedia document
> to potential customers via e-mail. The document would be created in
> Powerpoint with embedded .avi and .wav files.
>
> Is this possible? If Internet Mail can't do it - can anyone suggest a
> package that would allow me to send these types of files?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robin Boeling
> ISC

Michael Santovec

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

The problem is making sure that the recipient can play what they receive.

If using Powerpoint, then the recipient must have the Powerpoint viewer
installed on their PC. This is a free component, but not everyone has it.
I would bet that most don't.

I don't know about the internals of Powerpoint, but it would be best if
everything is in a single file. Perhaps it does that automatically.
Otherwise it will be a nuisance for the recipient to install it. You don't
want to make them work too hard.

Also, AVI and WAV files can be huge. Most people won't want to receive
that in e-mail. You will anger your potential customers.

What would probably work better is to put the presentation on a Web page
(not using Powerpoint) and then e-mail the URL. Most people have access to
a web browser these days. If you wanted, you could make a downloadable
version (possibly user Powerpoint) available on the web site.

Another option would be to mail the Web page HTML, but reference the AVI
and WAV files on the web. However, most e-mail clients don't support this.
Netscape version 3 and above does (and maybe 2). Microsoft Internet Mail
doesn't, but the replacement Outlook Express does (currently in beta
testing).