iis7 for webdev. Firefox reports 404 on all pages

Greg Woods

Dec 26, 2007, 1:15:02 AM12/26/07
I have a local development web site set up serving static htm pages.
Using IE7 with default settings I can access the site fine. If I try
to use firefox I get a 404 error. Upon further investigation, it turns
out be some sort of authentication problem, since if I turn off
"Enable Integreated Window Authentication" in IE7, then it reports a
404 error as well.
I've no expert in IIS configuration, and my experience is limited to
IIS5 and IIS6. With the older versions I would probably check that the
IUSR account used by Anonymous access has permissions to see the
website folders, but this doesn't appear to be possible in IIS7.
My apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before, but I
draw the line at 4 hours searching!
All help greatly appreciated.

Greg Woods

Ken Schaefer

Dec 26, 2007, 6:11:17 AM12/26/07
404 = Not Found (which is typically not an authenication error).

Can you look in the IIS logfiles, and see what the HTTP substatus code is?

Cheers
Ken

--
My IIS Blog: www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken

"Greg Woods" <misterni...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Greg Woods

Dec 26, 2007, 5:55:06 PM12/26/07
Well, at least I learned how to get logging working (install 3rd party
GUI application and modify a config file... is IIS7 actually
finished?)

I found the solution to my original problem, though can't explain the
wierd behaviour (nor reproduce it - though I tested it 3x before
posting)

Edit Bindings... on my website in IIS7 management console
Select the binding, Edit it
Change 127.0.0.1 to *
Save it
Now everything works in IE7 with/without Windows Auth
and everything works in Firefox.

Oh well... back to work.

David Wang

Dec 26, 2007, 6:22:41 PM12/26/07
Logging is configurable and active by default. No idea why you had to
install a 3rd party GUI application because the IIS log file has
always been available as a regular W3C log file. The problems seem to
be more related to your knowledge of IIS/web server than IIS7 itself,
as you've already professed.

Please note that since IPv6 has a different denomination for
"localhost" than IPv4's 127.0.0.1 (and IIS7 is fully aware of both),
you may find different results between "*" and 127.0.0.1, depending on
your network configuration. It's important to understand these details
for a server because you need to service the right ports on the right
network interface and right protocol(s). It's more than telling IIS
"read my mind and just work".

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang