which user to add for WCF Web service?

1 view

William Johnston

Apr 1, 2008, 3:10:44 PM4/1/08

Hello,

Which user should I add to the ACL in order to run a WCF Web service?

I get the following error when attempting to run my WCF Web service:

[HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized
You do not have permission to view this directory or page because of the access control list (ACL) configuration or encryption settings for this resource on the Web server.]

The Logon user is Anonymous.

Thanks,
William Johnston

Tiago Halm

Apr 1, 2008, 7:03:40 PM4/1/08
What binding are you using? A WCF webservice when using a binding with
security setup on transport can be setup (auth'ed) the same way as webapp,
although impersonation takes a different route depending on how you
configure you webservice. When security is set to Message, credentials are
embedded in SOAP so IIS does nothing here, so anonymous is enough with
read/execute access to the AppPool account.

Basically, more details on how your webservice was built are required. When
you say WCF Service there's a multitude of options available, and these
options often require you to make different decisions with the hosting
environment (in your case IIS).

Remember that a WCF service should execute the same way independently of
being hosted in an exe console or iis, or was.

give us more info so we can help

Tiago Halm

"William Johnston" <will...@tenbase2.com> wrote in message

ginger8990

May 12, 2008, 9:45:00 PM5/12/08
I have a IIS 6 web server with virtual directories set up. In the browser I
get an authenication request (which I want) 3 times and then a 401.3 ACL
error. I checked the permissions and I do have accehss. Anyone know what
could cause this?