IIS failed after Oracle client install

Andrey Vasylenko

Dec 31, 2008, 6:39:01 AM12/31/08
Hello!
After installing Oracle Client 10g x64 & Oracle ODAC11 x64 on Windows 2008 x64
IIS failed with error below. I'm interesting in workaround for this issue.

===

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.Web,
Version=2.111.6.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' or one
of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 171: <healthMonitoring>
Line 172: <providers>
Line 173: <add name="OracleWebEventProvider"
type="Oracle.Web.Management.OracleWebEventProvider, Oracle.Web,
Version=2.111.6.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342"
connectionStringName="OraAspNetConString" buffer="true"
bufferMode="OracleNotification"/>
Line 174:
Line 175: </providers>

Source File:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config
Line: 173

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine
why the assembly 'Oracle.Web, Version=2.111.6.20, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind
failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053;
ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

--

Thanks,
Andrey V.

Arnold@arnold.com Mr. Arnold

Dec 31, 2008, 9:28:25 AM12/31/08

"Andrey Vasylenko" <AndreyV...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E34417C8-E31D-43F4...@microsoft.com...

<snipped>

Do you mean an ASP.net solution/application that's running on IIS that's
using something in an Oracle namespace is failing? I don't see how IIS could
be failing due to an Oracle installation.

Trevor Benedict

Dec 31, 2008, 1:10:54 PM12/31/08
Download FileMon from sysinternals
Restart your computer
Run FileMon
Browse to the page that throws this exception

You should either see permissions issues or File Not found errors. This will
tell you which file to look for or where to look

The above is a common diagnostic path that I would take as an IIS admin.

For this specific case,
1. make sure the Oracle.Web.dll Oracle\ODP.NET\bin\*** folder ....
2. Make sure the Path has been correctly modified to help locate this file
during runtime.
3. Make sure the account running your ASP.NET application has alteast
readonly privileages to your Oracle home directory.

This is NOT an IIS issue. The ASP.NET runtime is not able to locate the
necessary dependent DLL's for the Oracle.Web.dll to load (based on the
settings in MACHINE.CONFIG). If you remark / comment those lines in
MACHINE.CONFIG, you web application will load (but may not work as
expected).

Regards,

Trevor Benedict

"Andrey Vasylenko" <AndreyV...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E34417C8-E31D-43F4...@microsoft.com...

David Wang

Jan 2, 2009, 3:52:42 PM1/2/09
Oracle Client installation failed to install this managed class (or
its dependent assemblies) into the GAC.

Oracle.Web.Management.OracleWebEventProvider

This is a problem with Oracle Client installation. It modified system-
wide IIS configuration but failed to make its modification work and
thus broke IIS. It is not an IIS failure nor Microsoft issue.

It may be that the class depends on other managed assemblies that are
not installed. Or the class is not installed. One can use fuslogvw.exe
from .Net Framework SDK to troubleshoot this. If you cannot do this,
then please work with Oracle software support on the issue since it is
a problem with Oracle software which you should contact their support.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//

On Dec 31 2008, 3:39 am, Andrey Vasylenko

<AndreyVasyle...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello!
> After installing Oracle Client 10g x64 & Oracle ODAC11 x64 on Windows 2008 x64
> IIS failed with error below. I'm interesting in workaround for this issue.
>
> ===
>
> Server Error in '/' Application.

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

c&l

Jan 16, 2009, 4:45:01 PM1/16/09
Andrey,

Did you solve this problem? I am getting same error when install ODAC11 on a
64-bit windows 2008 machine.

Thanks.

cindyluke

David Wang

Jan 16, 2009, 10:38:15 PM1/16/09
The problem is with the Oracle client installation. Please contact
Oracle product support.

Oracle installation modified IIS configuration to depend on one of its
binaries, and then the binary was not properly installed -- thus IIS
fails.