Unable to create virtual directory from file

jox

Jan 20, 2005, 7:59:02 AM1/20/05

I'm trying to export/import a virtual directory in IIS6 running on a Windows
Server 2003 Standard Edition Service pack 1 RC1. I've done this before on
other machines, and it usually works like a charm. (btw. this is what I'm
trying to do: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817379)

Exporting a configuration works, but when I pick a file to import and klick
'read file' nothing happends! No errors, no dialogs just nothing!

I also discovered that if I choose to encrypt the configuration when I
export it, it is saved as plain xml anyway!

I suspect that this has something to do with service pack 1, but I dont
think it's worth uninstalling SP1 just to find out. Everything else seem to
work as expected.

David Wang [Msft]

Jan 21, 2005, 6:15:43 AM1/21/05
Actually, the exported configuration file has never been encrypted -- you
will always get a valid XML file for export. What "encrypt configuration
using password" actually means is that sensitive information inside the
configuration file will be encrypted against the password so that you can
transport the file across machines

Normally, those ACLs and user credentials are encrypted against the
machine's private key, which is unique per machine. This is one of the main
reasons that you cannot copy metabase.xml from one machine to another. What
"encrypt configuration using password" does is:
1. Decrypt the value on the originating machine using its machine key
2. Encrypt that value using your specified password
3. You can now restore the value on another machine by giving the right
password -- which allows IIS to decrypt the value and re-encrypt it using
the destination machine's machine key

This allows you to restore the configuration to any applicable machine.

Now, regarding your issue -- I do reproduce it, have located the code change
causing the problem, and I am filing a bug to get it fixed since it pretty
much breaks metabase restore from the UI (from commandline using iiscnfg.vbs
it still works). Thank you for locating and mentioning this.

--
//David
IIS
"jox" <j...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message