Get IIS working in XP Home

Richard Sandoz

Jan 8, 2002, 8:35:34 PM1/8/02
General HOWTO for running IIS in Windows XP Home Edition.

by Richard Sandoz - Certified Java Programmer

(1) locate and edit the file C:\WINDOWS\INF\SYSOC.INF

(2) locate a section called [Components]

(3) find a line like this:
iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,hide,7

(4) change it to this (the iis cab in the i386 xp home folder looks to
be nothing)
iis=iis2.dll,OcEntry,iis2.inf,,7

(some sort of ms caching thing keeps sticking back iis.dll when I try
to nuke it. quickly renaming and making hidden dir called iis.dll
seems to thwart, but not worth it, so iis2.dll is good enough)

(5) I grabbed the iis.dl_ and iis.in_ from win2k advanced server cd.

I would guess similar techniques would work from W98, FP, etc.
Use "EXPAND IIS.DL_ IIS2.DLL" from a command prompt
Same for IIS2.INF, place IIS2.INF in C:\WINDOWS\INF and IIS2.DLL in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SETUP

(6) Now when I did "add windows programs" from the control panel's add
new programs,

I had IIS options and I could even check em off. yippee - could not
check em off from my xppro cd :(((

I just went with the defaulted ones though (all i needed was iis web
server)

(7) It will prompt you for files. Get em from MS XP Home CDs, Adv
Server CDs, C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\INETSRV, C:\WINDOWS\I386, etc. (It will
tell you the file it needs, you just need to have a searcher going,
probably the CDs will have all you need)

(8) You can get to your IIS from Control Panel's Administrative
Programs.
I stuck in an index.html file and reconfigure IIS to work like this.
No go :(((
I right clicked on my inetpub folder and did something with shared
folders. No go :(((
I looked at the event viewer and saw the error of my ways.
Go to IIS and goto Directory Security tab and click Edit button and
Browse for the user setup on my laptop.

(9) Yippee, hello world from http://localhost

I won't support this solution unless paid to. I am an out of work
developer looking for work.

I bought a Toshiba 5005 laptop which came with XP home.
I then bought Win XP Professional.
I have bunches of CDs from when I was a MSDN subscriber.
From a general search on the internet I found contradictions.

Microsoft says you need professional XP to do IIS period.
q310090 was yanked from their site which had the "workaround" for
this.

When I tried to setup XP upgrade to pro, my laptop rebooted and hung
on an xp logo with an animated graphic.
I have verified this to be the case with others as well. Upgrading to
xp pro isn't an option for this laptop.

Brad Slusher

Jan 15, 2002, 3:20:04 AM1/15/02
I tried copying the files from my Win98 CD, although after I did
everything as explained below, I was unable to select the check-boxes,
even though the entrys showed up in Add/Remove Windows Components. Do
you have any idea as to why they were unselectable?

Brad

Carlos Machado

Jan 15, 2002, 9:25:14 AM1/15/02

I tried copying the files from my Win2000Pro CD, although after I did,
everything as explained below, and all works good, I were prommted for
admxprox.dll or admxprox.dl_ and works but later for exch_adsiisex.dll
or exch_adsiisex.dl_ from Window Whistler CD, thas were my end.
What kind of System is thas? Where can I obtein such dll?

Kathleen Anderson

Jan 15, 2002, 6:30:35 PM1/15/02
Could be because Microsoft doesn't support running a server under Windows XP Home: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q304197

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Richard Sandoz

Jan 17, 2002, 8:03:14 AM1/17/02
I had the same problem from the XP Pro CD I bought. Wound up bringing
it back to the store. It would not do the upgrade option on my
laptop. I am guessing that maybe tweaking the contents of the iis.inf
might make it work though. I see all kind of textual entries in the
file that seem to do different install functionality depending on what
version of windows you are installing to.

On 15 Jan 2002 00:20:04 -0800, bslu...@yahoo.com (Brad Slusher)
wrote:

--
Richard
http://www.asp-web-solutions.com:9005/

David N

Jan 19, 2002, 9:40:00 PM1/19/02
Well, I just tried this using the Win 98 CD and it will not work,
appears you must have version 5 of iis.

Stracca

Jan 21, 2002, 7:56:17 AM1/21/02
> General HOWTO for running IIS in Windows XP Home Edition.
> by Richard Sandoz - Certified Java Programmer

Good! I followed you instructions and it works on a Compaq Notebook!

> (5) I grabbed the iis.dl_ and iis.in_ from win2k advanced server cd.

first i tryed to grab them from Windowx XP Professional but it doesn't
work, so i tryed from win2k server and it works!
does someone tryed from win2k professional?

Bye
Stracca

Hans Luyten

Jan 22, 2002, 5:49:05 PM1/22/02
I tried it on a Toshiba Satellite 5000 and used Windows 2000
Professional and yes... that works too :-)

Jim Rudnick

Jan 23, 2002, 4:01:04 PM1/23/02
Hmmm....
Okay...so I'm following along here...and yup, the IIS box is now
there...I check same...and then it asks for files.

Uhhh...my XPHome is on a Dell laptop...all I got with it is the Dell CD
with XPHome on it...and no, none of the files are there.

So I ran a Search...and found convlog.exe okay...but couldn't find
infoctrs.dll or admexs.dll...and stopped there.

Anyone know how I can get those ones AND whatever comes next in the
series? Cause I'm at a loss here...

Jim

Hans Luyten

Jan 23, 2002, 4:41:05 PM1/23/02
Did you check c:\windows\i386 ?
The setup is lloking for infoctrs.dll. This means that it want
infoctrs.dll or infoctrs.dl_ (the compressed file) either are good for
the setup.
I found mine in c:\windows\i386 in a compressed fashion. The setup will
uncompress it for you.
post.asp

Tom Avel

Jan 23, 2002, 7:35:27 PM1/23/02
I was under impression, IIS was only available with Win XP Professional ?

"Jim Rudnick" <jrud...@kkti.com> wrote in message

Curt_C

Jan 24, 2002, 7:35:26 AM1/24/02
Technically, yes. There are some workarounds but they are unsupported.

--
Curt
Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com
"Tom Avel" <acn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jim Rudnick

Jan 24, 2002, 1:17:03 PM1/24/02
Sigh...
Okay...I got all the files installed, restarted, and lo and behold...IIS
is there!

Course, it's not working????

Went to my asp editor, did a simple "the time is <%=time%> and it fails
to show up...all I get is the English....

Anyone here?

I've configured it EXACTLY like the w2k box that I normally run my asp
dev thru...and I've checked the asp editor for any variances too...nada.

So...what am I missing under XP Home?

Jim Rudnick

Jan 24, 2002, 1:41:06 PM1/24/02
sigh...

nevermind...my IIS is now serving up ASP just fine...all I had to do was
to restart!!!

dumb....just plain dumb today!

Tom Avel

Jan 24, 2002, 7:06:53 PM1/24/02

> sigh...
>
> nevermind...my IIS is now serving up ASP just fine...all I had to do was
> to restart!!!
>
> dumb....just plain dumb today!
>
> Jim

Wow I wish I had known about the win xp iis workaround, I coughed up an
extra 100 dollars (over price of win xp home) for this feature.

: (

Curt_C

Jan 25, 2002, 7:46:04 AM1/25/02
It's there, but I wouldn't rely on it.....
I'm willing to bet, besides lack of support, there will be issues with
it......

--
Curt
Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com
http://www.Darkfalz.com
** And The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth
"Tom Avel" <acn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hans Luyten

Jan 25, 2002, 2:01:01 PM1/25/02
I'm currently creating my website with just that (using VBScript/ASP,
etc) and it all works just fine.
The problem I had when I wanted to access localhost at first is that the
IIS_USER didn't exist ... you can either create one or use your normal
login (depending on the required safety)

Richard Sandoz

Jan 26, 2002, 9:00:34 PM1/26/02
So far, I've ran a tomcat in iis, jsp app, an ecommerce site with
about 100 or so ASP files, which do stuff like communicate with COM
objects (CDONTS, smtpmail, sendmail, some custom ones I wrote), SQL
Server, etc, run some ISAPI apps (I wrote a while back), use aspmail,
asphttp, sure-pay xml thing, Oracle. All seems to work fine. It is
somewhat of a pain to deal with the NT security model via XP, but
other than that, no problems.

--
Richard
http://www.asp-web-solutions.com:9005/

Don Parker

Jan 28, 2002, 1:54:40 PM1/28/02
I got it installed ok - but now I get an error 80074002 when I attempt
to connect to localhost. According to Knowledge base that is caused
by a corrupt metabase.bin file. I did not even have one. I was
wondering how others got around this problem?

Vince H

Jan 28, 2002, 5:36:56 PM1/28/02
hey i', just wondering if anyone could give me a link to those two files
I need for it (iis.dl_ and iis.in_) casue I don;t have access to an
older version of windows cd.

Alex Krol

Jan 29, 2002, 11:08:41 PM1/29/02
I also have Compaq Notebook with XP Home edition, and I thought that i
followed Richard's instructions faithfully... but i don't see IIS
box(es) in Add/Remove Components.

Here what i did:
1) changed (the instructed) sysoc file
2) ran (the instructed) expand... command from the run prompt
3) moved iis2.dll and iis2.inf to the correct directories,
restarted the computer, double checked everything :) and still no IIS
boxes...

What am i missing???

Thanks,

alex

Daniel Carrasco

Jan 31, 2002, 12:58:46 PM1/31/02
I followed steps 1 to 7 with no problems. I have a problem in
step 8. When I open IIS in the control panel's administrative programs,
I don't see the directory security tab. When I try to connect to localhost
server, a message tells me that there are no services to manage.

Anyone can help me?
Thanks.

00steve

Feb 7, 2002, 11:32:09 AM2/7/02
Vince H <sex_m...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#nhULxEqBHA.2088@tkmsftngp03>...

I followed all the steps but cant find "EXCH_adsiisex.dll" - any ideas?

Fredrick

Feb 7, 2002, 8:42:42 PM2/7/02
Can some one mail me the IIS_.DLL and IIS_.INF files PL. Even I have
the Same Xp home Toshiba laptop and I'm trying for a soultion to
install IIS on the system

Thanks
Fredrick

Matt

Feb 14, 2002, 8:15:30 AM2/14/02
Don't select smtp server (or whatever the mail server option is) when
installing IIS - that is the only item I did not select (after getting
the same error below) and I was able to install everything from
win2kpro + xp home, and it works fine.

Except for one bizarre effect - some of my folders are named after the
domains ('mydomain.com', 'myotherdomain.org', etc.) - anything other
than the .com work just fine - i can browse directories and view html
files, etc; but with the .com folders, I can browse directories but
once I click on an html file, I get a 'HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute
Access Forbidden', even though I have clearly specified execute access
for all of these folders. Renaming (to '_com' for example) does take
care of the problem, but does anyone have any ideas why happens?

Matthew Hansen

Matt

Feb 14, 2002, 8:25:53 AM2/14/02
daniel_...@yahoo.com (Daniel Carrasco) wrote in message news:<42d6fe6f.02013...@posting.google.com>...

> I followed steps 1 to 7 with no problems. I have a problem in
> step 8. When I open IIS in the control panel's administrative programs,
> I don't see the directory security tab. When I try to connect to localhost
> server, a message tells me that there are no services to manage.
>
> Anyone can help me?
> Thanks.

open iis console through administrative tools, right click on the
'default web site' in left frame, select 'properties', a dialog box
appears with 9 tabs, and 'directory security' is one of them - click
the edit button and find the user you want to use - ones own login
seems to be the easiest (that's what I did anyway) but I am unsure if
there might be some security issues involved.

Matt

Matt

Feb 14, 2002, 8:28:58 AM2/14/02
298...@tay.ac.uk (00steve) wrote in message news:<dfedf0ce.02020...@posting.google.com>...

> I followed all the steps but cant find "EXCH_adsiisex.dll" - any ideas?

don't select to install the mail server (maybe called smtp or exchange service).

matt

klara

Feb 16, 2002, 12:20:54 PM2/16/02
Hello,

I installed on my pc iis 5.0 (from Windows 2000 pro) under Windows xp
home.

ALL it is crossed well and my site by default is installed well.

I added one page " index.html " in c:\inetpub\wwwroot and I have it
definie for page by defaut in the console iis.

Nevertheless, it is impossible to me to reach my site by default from
IE.

I do not know pouquoi! Can anybody help me???

klara

tribal

Feb 20, 2002, 12:43:43 PM2/20/02
Do u have anything running that uses ms access? I set up IIS to
impersonate the owner account. i have an asp that uses access - when I
go to access it gives me the famous "file opened exclusively or no
permissions". The problem could be that the account iis impersonates
doesn't have write permissions, however owner should have all
permissions, no? I can see in the event viewer that there is a
security failure coming from IIS trying to login as owner. I tried to
match passwords (owner doesn't have one) thru iis but it doesn't seem
to work unless I put in the iis_user password. Any ideas?

Darrell

Feb 26, 2002, 2:35:39 AM2/26/02
I also get a similar message. You suggest here to "right click on the
'default web site' in left frame" however I do not have a 'default
website" in my left frame. I am getting the same message that there
are "administerable services". I am very new to XP (2 days) and need
to do some development quick. To make sure I am getting to the right
place, I went as follows: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools
> Internet Service Manager > Internet Services Manager. In the left
frame, all that is there is Internet Information Services. There is
nothing about default web page.

Can anyone provide any help? It would be most appreciated.

- Darrell

Darrell

Feb 26, 2002, 3:10:19 AM2/26/02
Getting rather frustrated with this, I removed everything related to
IIS and re-ran the install. I now get the following message: "Error
Connecting to (pc-name) Unexpected Error 0x80074002 occurred." Can
anyone help with this?

-Darrell

Matt M

Mar 1, 2002, 11:27:33 PM3/1/02

I hope someone has a solution to this as I am experiencing exactly the
same problem.

~Matt

Mircone D

Mar 9, 2002, 5:39:24 PM3/9/02

hey, does anyone have those two files (iis.dl_ and iis.in_) posted
somewhere? I've been looking everywhere for them cause I do not have a
Win2k CD and the ones for IIS 4 don't seem to work. if you have them,
pls can you mail me. thx

Nathan Johnston

Mar 18, 2002, 12:47:18 AM3/18/02

I too was most disappointed to find that Windows XP Home Edition did not
have IIS. While I liked everything else about XP, this is a downer. But,
using the above method, I was able to install IIS 5.0 off my Windows
2000 Professional CD onto my Toshiba Satellite 1000, and so far it's
working great! Thanks!

Dale Beal

Mar 21, 2002, 12:39:17 PM3/21/02
I, too, need those two files (iis.dl_ and iis.in_). Are they posted
somewhere? I'm trying to install on a Compaq notebook. I have a Win98 CD
from my other machine, do not have a Win2k CD. Also, in what locations
are these files to be placed...I'm unclear on that.

Dale Beal

Mar 22, 2002, 1:35:19 AM3/22/02
I am having the same problem. Were you ever able to get an answer to it?

From: Darrell
Date Posted: 2/26/2002 12:37:00 AM

I also get a similar message. You suggest here to "right click on the
'default web site' in left frame" however I do not have a 'default
website" in my left frame. I am getting the same message that there
are "administerable services". I am very new to XP (2 days) and need
to do some development quick. To make sure I am getting to the right
place, I went as follows: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools
> Internet Service Manager > Internet Services Manager. In the left
frame, all that is there is Internet Information Services. There is
nothing about default web page.

Can anyone provide any help? It would be most appreciated.

- Darrell

Jayanth Reddy

Apr 5, 2002, 2:26:07 AM4/5/02

i am having a similar problem. all i see in the left frame is internet
information services. and when i right click on and say connect it says
no administrable devices. i checked off the smtp and ftp . before that i
used to get the error could not connect to <computer name> and now it is
gone but i have this new problem. could anyone solve it ?

Henrik Wolter

Apr 5, 2002, 5:38:05 AM4/5/02
hi,

could somebody please tell me where to get these iis.in_ and iss.dl_
files. i searched in the whole web but couldn't find it.

thanks a lot!

Nathan Johnston

Apr 5, 2002, 5:46:11 PM4/5/02

You MUST have a Windows 2000 CD to get the two files from. You will
probably not find these files on the web. If you cannot get a hold of a
Windows 2000 CD, you might as well go buy XP Professional Edition.

Jayanth Reddy

Apr 9, 2002, 2:14:07 PM4/9/02

anyone found a solution to this ? i got nothing to do except wait for
someone to answer. i tried reinstalling iis but in vain. i realize the
problem is due to the missing metabase.bin in inetsrv folder. i tried
getting that file from another computer which has iis installed but
still wouldnt work. i couldnt find metabase.bak or metabase.bin.bak. i
tried checking off smtp during install still wouldnt work. someone
please please please

Dustin Flynn

Apr 13, 2002, 2:51:16 AM4/13/02
i did everything as explained, and it all worked up until where i check
it off in the control panel > add windows components. it simply wont let
me check things off, anyone know why?

Aram

Apr 16, 2002, 5:06:47 PM4/16/02
I'm about 85% of the way there, but am stuck on one thing...

I got IIS installed and everything (got the dl_ and in_ files from
win2k professional) and followed all the steps.

Was able to check off all the necessary things in Add Windows
Components and get everything installed.

Rebooted.

However when I go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel, i don't
have IIS.

In Add/Remove windows components, its there - but not in
Administrative Tools.

any ideas??
email: ar...@iwon.com

Dan Hardy

Apr 16, 2002, 10:25:11 PM4/16/02
I, too have the same problem as Aram. Any ideas?

Dan Hardy

Apr 17, 2002, 12:19:31 AM4/17/02
Dear Aram,

Try uninstalling and reinstalling IIS and this time just install the
web server in the iis details in the add/remove windows components. I
did it and I can now see the internet services manager in
administrative tools.

Dan.

Dizzave

Apr 17, 2002, 3:47:22 AM4/17/02
Some general coments about installing IIS 5.0 from Win2k Pro.
1. It works. It took me a while, and I tried fidgeting around trying
to force an install of IIS from the XP Professional CD (borrowed from
a friend) and after trying for 2 hours (unsuccessfully) i uninstalled,
and tried exactly as the directions state.
2. You can install the SMTP service, if you copy the the files from
Win2k Pro CD. The files you need are ims.in_ and imsinsnt.dl_. Extract
them and rename it to ims2.inf and put it in c:\windows\inf\. You also
must copy imsinsnt.dll (rename from cd to imsinsnt2.dll) to the
c:\windows\system32\setup directory. Then, change sysoc.inf file, just
the same as iis, to ims2.inf instead of ims.inf. The SMTP service and
the rest of IIS are separate packages. (internet information
server<IIS> and internet mail server <IMS>)
3. Since XP Home is insecure already, all you have to do to get the
web pages to view correctly is uncheck the box in the directory
security->edit-> Then under Anonymous Access click edit->uncheck
'Allow IIS to control password' and make the password blank. Since XP
doesn't user security tab in computer management, the accounts cannot
be managed by other programs, and can only be managed by hand. The
account IUSR_<your computer name here> is created by setup, and you
can't edit it. It will be deleted upon uninstall, but you can't
manually manage that account. You have to do this for each FTP, SMTP,
and WWW separately.

Should work just fine from there on out! I need to download the latest
version of PHP and PERL so I can see if they work. There's no reason
why they shouldn't, that I can think of. Just make sure, that if
you're running IIS 5.0 on a home machine, that you have a firewall
setup, so that people can't create sessions to your computer, and
access your shares. They can use the username IUSR_<computer name> to
log on to your computer.

<> Dave

Jayanth Reddy

Apr 19, 2002, 2:18:27 AM4/19/02

Daniel Carrasco, Don Parker, Darrell and Matt M - did any one of u get
around the problem ? please post what you did to get over it. need that
solution badly. i get cannot connect to < computer name > message if i
add smtp and no administeralbe services found if i dont. either way my
localhost doesnt work. could someone pls help

Srini

Apr 22, 2002, 2:31:22 PM4/22/02
I just installed IIS on a sony vaio. Works great. Thanks Richard.

Wittaya Saekoew

Apr 24, 2002, 1:45:54 AM4/24/02

when i do same Richard said i install iis5 from windows2000 pro and
restart then type url happen "HTTP 500 - Internal server error"
everybody help me please

Wittaya Saekoew

Apr 24, 2002, 11:34:09 AM4/24/02

now i can use asp but i can not use SERVER OBJECT then make me can not
use database( Access ) Help me please ,thank.

Daniel Carrasco

May 9, 2002, 10:09:18 PM5/9/02
The first time I installed iis, I couldn't get it working. When I
re-try to install iis (...months later...) I could manage to get I
working.

The first time I tried to use iis I was running winXP home upgraded
from win98se. And in step 7 (when the installation process prompt you
for files), I got every file from a win2000 adv server disc. This time
I couldn't get iis working.

The second time I installed iis, I was running winXP home (clean
installed). And in step 7, I got every file from the winXP home disc
(except those files that weren't in XP (I took them from win2000
advServ)).

Maybe the problem is with the source files that iis need to install
from. Please, check this and tell me is you succed.

Regards,
Daniel

Naveen

May 15, 2002, 10:27:09 AM5/15/02
Any body who needs the iis.dl_ and iis.in_ files email me at navee...@yahoo.com
i can send them the link or the files
have fun
Naveen

Lisa Z. Morgan

May 19, 2002, 11:01:21 AM5/19/02
I was under the impression that Windows XP hoe won't run IIS, just XP Pro.

It is added in Pro in the Add/Remove Programs function under windows
components.

--
Lisa Z. Morgan
Lairhaven Enterprises
"Daniel Carrasco" <daniel_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ted Chong

May 19, 2002, 11:50:36 AM5/19/02
Hope this solution will help :-

1) Download and install Apache 2.0.36
(apache_2.0.36-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi) from this site:

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/

2) Download and install Sun™ Chili!Soft ASP from this site:

http://www.chilisoft.com/downloads/register2.asp?target=CASPNT

** Note : Fills up the registration form by selecting "Windows NT 4.0"
as your OS. And "Apache Web server v2.X" as your server.

Ted Chong,
Webz Design and Solutions
( http://www.webz.com.my/ )

Naveen Kota

Jul 1, 2002, 3:38:53 PM7/1/02
hi guys,

you dont need to email me anymore for those two files.

download them directly from

http://www.geocities.com/manisha_1977/iis.zip

have fun

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

Jul 1, 2002, 4:23:08 PM7/1/02
I don't know if you can distribute these files legally; I'd be careful.

--
www.aspfaq.com / www.perfhound.com

"Naveen Kota" <manish...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Daniel Furmanovich

May 14, 2004, 12:18:03 PM5/14/04

dear sirs
i don't have the iis.dl_ and iis.in_ because i don't have the windows
2000 advanced server cd or professionaL.
can someone send me those files please??? urgently
PLEASE HELP

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

May 14, 2004, 1:53:53 PM5/14/04
http://www.aspfaq.com/2079

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Daniel Furmanovich" <dan...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

a b

May 23, 2004, 1:50:29 PM5/23/04

lilin abdullah

Jun 7, 2004, 12:46:18 AM6/7/04
I've tried with wins2K pro, but it's not working.. :( if anybody have
tried with that pls let me know..

mimimimi

Jeff Cochran

Jun 7, 2004, 7:10:57 AM6/7/04
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:46:18 -0700, lilin abdullah <che...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I've tried with wins2K pro, but it's not working.. :( if anybody have
>tried with that pls let me know..

Not an ASP question, try a relevant group. Or here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304197

Jeff

Diptiman

Jan 10, 2005, 11:31:38 PM1/10/05

What if you have Windows XP Home with SP2?
I have the similier case and I am in lots of problems with it.

Any help?

Regards
Diptiman

Richard Sandoz wrote:
> General HOWTO for running IIS in Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> by Richard Sandoz - Certified Java Programmer
>
> (1) locate and edit the file C:\WINDOWS\INF\SYSOC.INF
>
> (2) locate a section called [Components]
>
> (3) find a line like this:
> iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,hide,7
>
> (4) change it to this (the iis cab in the i386 xp home folder looks
> be nothing)
> iis=iis2.dll,OcEntry,iis2.inf,,7
>
> (some sort of ms caching thing keeps sticking back iis.dll when I try
> to nuke it. quickly renaming and making hidden dir called iis.dll
> seems to thwart, but not worth it, so iis2.dll is good enough)
>
> (5) I grabbed the iis.dl_ and iis.in_ from win2k advanced server cd.
>
> I would guess similar techniques would work from W98, FP, etc.
> Use "EXPAND IIS.DL_ IIS2.DLL" from a command prompt
> Same for IIS2.INF, place IIS2.INF in C:\WINDOWS\INF and IIS2.DLL in
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SETUP
>
> (6) Now when I did "add windows programs" from the control panel's
add
> new programs,
>
> I had IIS options and I could even check em off. yippee - could not
> check em off from my xppro cd :(((
>
> I just went with the defaulted ones though (all i needed was iis web
> server)
>
> (7) It will prompt you for files. Get em from MS XP Home CDs, Adv
> Server CDs, C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\INETSRV, C:\WINDOWS\I386, etc. (It
will
> tell you the file it needs, you just need to have a searcher going,
> probably the CDs will have all you need)
>
> (8) You can get to your IIS from Control Panel's Administrative
> Programs.
> I stuck in an index.html file and reconfigure IIS to work like this.
> No go :(((
> I right clicked on my inetpub folder and did something with shared
> folders. No go :(((
> I looked at the event viewer and saw the error of my ways.
> Go to IIS and goto Directory Security tab and click Edit button and
> Browse for the user setup on my laptop.
>
> (9) Yippee, hello world from http://localhost
>
> I won't support this solution unless paid to. I am an out of work
> developer looking for work.
>
> I bought a Toshiba 5005 laptop which came with XP home.
> I then bought Win XP Professional.
> I have bunches of CDs from when I was a MSDN subscriber.
> From a general search on the internet I found contradictions.
>
> Microsoft says you need professional XP to do IIS period.
> q310090 was yanked from their site which had the "workaround" for
> this.
>
> When I tried to setup XP upgrade to pro, my laptop rebooted and hung
> on an xp logo with an animated graphic.
> I have verified this to be the case with others as well. Upgrading
> xp pro isn't an option for this laptop.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Jan 11, 2005, 12:06:39 AM1/11/05
> What if you have Windows XP Home with SP2?
> I have the similier case and I am in lots of problems with it.
>
> Any help?

Yes, buy Professional if you want to develop. I think there is still an
upgrade price available through certain channels.

meera...@yahoo.com

Jan 12, 2005, 2:08:46 PM1/12/05
I tried the above on my laptop XP HE.
I got to the point of getting .inf and .dll files and put them in the
correct directory.
I then went to Add/Remove Windows Components but I cannot check the box
for
any of the IIS related components.
Somebody HELP

Jeff Cochran

Jan 13, 2005, 2:42:19 PM1/13/05

Yeah. Bummer. You know, there's a reason this isn't supported...

Jeff

Eric Rodriguez

Jan 13, 2005, 9:53:34 PM1/13/05
Here's some helpful documentation on the matter.

Only Windows XP Pro has IIS 5.1.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];304197

Limitations of IIS on a desktop operating system.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262632

Availability of IIS.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224609

~Eric

You assume all risk for your use. © 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

craig...@mail2me.com.au

Mar 10, 2005, 6:07:28 AM3/10/05
I followed Richard's directions but received HTTP Error 500 when trying
to contact http://localhost.

The following steps were required:

1) Unchecked "Show friendly HTTP errors" in IE. Bizarrely this provides
MORE info to the Event Viewer so you can troubleshoot better. Event
Viewer then revealed a DCOM local activation error and supplied a
Component ID

2) Went to the DCOM service in Administrative tools and located the
Component ID. It turns out to belong to IIS Admin Services

3) Customized the security properties of the IIS Admin component to
give Launch and Activation permission To the user IWAM_<computername>.
This is the account that IIS uses to identify itself to Windows.

4) Set Directory Security on default web site in IIS to use Integrated
Security. IIS will not permit Anonymous Authentication for ASP pages.

I would be interested to hear if this helps anybody.

For the record, I got iis_dl_ and iis_in_ from a Win2000 Professional
CD

Best Regards,

Baraholka

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Mar 10, 2005, 11:13:18 AM3/10/05
> 1) Unchecked "Show friendly HTTP errors" in IE. Bizarrely this provides
> MORE info

Well, not so bizarre. "Friendly" in this case means the opposite of
detailed, in other words, so stupid people can ignore it...

nize...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2016, 12:31:01 PM12/29/16
Le mercredi 9 janvier 2002 00:35:34 UTC-1, Richard Sandoz a écrit :
> General HOWTO for running IIS in Windows XP Home Edition.

Message has been deleted

Clement Ng

Jul 24, 2021, 12:17:07 AM7/24/21
Hope this solution will help :-
1) Download and install Apache 2.0.36
(apache_2.0.36-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi) from this site:

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/

2) Download and install Sun™ Chili!Soft ASP from this site:

http://www.chilisoft.com/downloads/register2.asp?target=CASPNT

** Note : Fills up the registration form by selecting "Windows NT 4.0"
as your OS. And "Apache Web server v2.X" as your server.

Clement
Rebrand Malaysia
( http://www.rebrand.com.my/ )

Siew Chin

Dec 18, 2021, 9:34:23 PM12/18/21

eJeeban Design

Jan 6, 2022, 9:45:42 PM1/6/22
eJeeban Web Design Company Malaysia focuses on various web design services such as website designing, website consultancy, website maintenance, website development, and logo designing committed to providing excellence in client service. Visit our website, https://www.web-design-company-malaysia.com to learn more about eJeeban Web Design Company now.

varco papadom

Dec 21, 2022, 2:28:23 AM12/21/22
On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 10:45:42 AM UTC+8, eJeeban Design wrote:
Web Design Company Malaysia focuses on various web design services such as website designing, website consultancy, website maintenance, website development, and logo designing committed to providing excellence in client service. Visit our website, https://blueniaga.com to learn more about

Muhamad Yusry

Aug 17, 2023, 11:24:47 PM8/17/23
I have solution for this problem. But it has been a long time ago.

*** Sent via Invite2u https://invite2u.com ***

Muhamad Yusry

Aug 17, 2023, 11:27:14 PM8/17/23
On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 11:24:47 AM UTC+8, Muhamad Yusry wrote:
> I have solution for this problem. But it has been a long time ago.
>

> *** Sent via Invite2u https://invite2u.com ***

Could you check back?

Contact me if you have time;

https://lesen2u.my