How to access a remote access database?

Clay LaHatte

Aug 22, 2001, 2:41:09 PM8/22/01
I have an Access database and an associated system DSN set up on an NT
system (no SQL Server). I wish to gain access to this database via a web
browser from another system running IIS and Active Server Pages (The
database is not on the web server).

Can I do this without using an SQL Server? If so, can someone point me to
the connection syntax, commands, etc. for connecting to a remote Access
database?

Thanks.
Clay.

Tom R. Earlywine

Aug 22, 2001, 3:27:23 PM8/22/01
Clay LaHatte wrote:

Yes. Remember that Access .mdb file needs to be in a location that the
IUSR_[servername] user account has permission to access.

Asp101.com has tons of samples on how connect and get data from an Access .mdb
file. http://www.asp101.com/samples/index.asp particularly the "Database" link.

The way I learned to build queries and such is to do them in Access and then
choose to view them as SQL in the query designer. Copy and paste them into your
ASP page.

--
Tom R. Earlywine

cc'd replies to email on this subject are welcomed

Clay LaHatte

Aug 22, 2001, 5:35:58 PM8/22/01
Hi. Thanks for the response, but I think I cannot do what I need to do, at
least not as you suggest. The mdb file is on a remote system, and I would
prefer not to have to share a folder on that system (the only way I know of
to allow IUSR_servername to access the mdb file). Looks like I might have to
go with SQL server.

Thanks.
Clay

Tom R. Earlywine <tearl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Josef Wainz

Aug 22, 2001, 6:01:45 PM8/22/01
"Clay LaHatte" <lah...@hl.wes.army.mil> wrote in message news:<#E#DCozKBHA.2036@tkmsftngp02>...

Look into Microsoft's RDS technology, this allows all the typical db
access over http. We are using it here on a similar application.

Steven Bras

Aug 22, 2001, 6:15:10 PM8/22/01
Your two current options are RDS, or SQL Server.

You can use RDS to instantiate a DataFactory object on the remote server
(which needs to be a web server) that can be used to query the database and
return recordsets.

If that's not a possibility, you will need to go with SQL Server, which is
accessible via TCP/IP over an internet connection.

Hope this helps!

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

Clay LaHatte

Aug 22, 2001, 6:31:05 PM8/22/01
Thanks for the responses. It looks like SQL Server will be necessary.
Clay.