Provider (0x80004005)

Leo Lam

Jul 17, 2001, 2:58:06 AM7/17/01
I am having this problem:

a.. Error Type:
Provider (0x80004005)
Unspecified error
/mcse/admin.asp, line 37

when I try to logon again to the program immediately after I log off the
program writing in Asp linking to a database.
But after a while, I can logon again.

Actually, what is the cause of this problem? and How to solve it

Leo Lam

farhan

Jul 17, 2001, 11:15:08 AM7/17/01
what is on line 37
Make sure your are closing your database objects before leaving the page.

"Leo Lam" <bearforev...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Leo Lam

Jul 17, 2001, 10:03:40 PM7/17/01
Farhan,

Thanks for helping.
here is the code

<head>
<title>Administration Page</title>
<link REL="STYLESHEET" TYPE="text/css" HREF="css/mcse.css">
</head>

<%
if validation(request("username"), request("password")) then
session("logon") = true
response.write "<frameset cols='200,*' rows='*' frameborder='yes'>"
response.write "<frameset rows='200,*' cols='*' frameborder='yes'>"
response.write "<frame src='ad_logo.asp' name='logo' noresize>"
response.write "<frame src='ad_opts.asp' name='options' noresize>"
response.write "</frameset>"
response.write "<frame src='ad_wiz.asp' name='main'>"
response.write "</frameset>"
response.write "<noframes>"
response.write "<body>"
response.write "<h1>No frames</h1>"
response.write "</body>"
response.write "</noframes>"
else
server.transfer("back.htm")
end if
%>

<script language = "vbscript" runat = "server">

function validation(username, password)

dim sqlstr

set adocon = server.createobject("adodb.connection")
adocon.open "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};dbq="&
server.mappath("/mcse/DataBase/mcse.mdb") 'this is line 37
set rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")

sqlstr = "select userid from users where username = '"& username &"' and
password = '"& password &"'"

rs.open sqlstr, adocon, 3, 1

if rs.recordcount = 0 then
validation = false
else
validation = true
end if

rs.close
set rs = nothing
adocon.close
set adocon = nothing

end function

</script>

I am a beginner of ASP
I think I have closed the connection by the last part of my script.
And I also found that the time allowing me to logon again is about a min.

Could you help me to solve this problem.

Thanks for helping me.

Best regards,
Leo

"farhan" <fs...@home.com> wrote in message

farhan

Jul 18, 2001, 12:19:43 PM7/18/01
your code looks fine. couple of suggestions

1. make sure you have updated your MDAC drivers to atleast 2.6
http://microsoft.com/data/download.htm
Jet is not part of 2.6 download so you have to download and install them
separately

2. try using Jet instead
strConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" &
server.mappath("/mcse/DataBase/mcse.mdb")
> adocon.open strConn

3. Move your validation function within the <% %> and take out

> <script language = "vbscript" runat = "server">

></script>

4. use the connection object to run the query
validation = false
> set rs = adocon.Execute(sqlstr)
> if not rs.EOF then

> validation = true
> end if

5. first check if a form was subbmitted and contained some values
if validation(Trim(request("username")), Trim(request("password"))) then
else
end if

> function validation(username, password)
>
> dim sqlstr

if username = "" and password = "" then
validation = false
exit function
end if

6. change then name of your field from password to something else or enclose
it in [] as it is a reserved word in access

> sqlstr = "select userid from users where username = '"& username &"' and
> [password] = '"& password &"'"

7. and if your passwrod is case sensitive then you need to compare them in
your script
> sqlstr = "select []assword] from users where username = '"& username &"'

validation = false
> set rs = adocon.Execute(sqlstr)
> if not rs.EOF then
if rs(0).value = passwrod then

Leo Lam

Jul 18, 2001, 10:24:41 PM7/18/01
Thanks farhan!

I will make the modification following your advice.

from Leo