Why not FtpCommand Support REST?

Green Xiar

Jan 9, 2004, 9:08:55 AM1/9/04
Why not FtpCommand Support Full FTP commands?
WinINet will be perfect if it add this feature!
That way i can do anything with WinINet.
But now i can not use WinINet in Multi-parts download application.:(

Green Xiar

Paul Baker

Jan 9, 2004, 11:14:26 AM1/9/04
What do you mean it does not support full FTP commands?

(I am thinking you mean commands that open connections as they act on the
primary connection).

Paul

"Green Xiar" <gree...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Brian Combs

Jan 12, 2004, 10:52:38 AM1/12/04
Hello
Please see the following article.
172712 INFO: Limitations of WinInet FTP Functions
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=172712

For the REST
RESTART (REST)

The argument field represents the server marker at which
file transfer is to be restarted. This command does not
cause file transfer but skips over the file to the specified
data checkpoint. This command shall be immediately followed
by the appropriate FTP service command which shall cause
file transfer to resume.

So if your server requires a RETR command immediately after a REST command.
It is
not possible to do achieve this using Wininet FTPCommand API; the only
option
is to use windows sockets.

Thanks
Brian [MS]
Microsoft Developer Support
--------------------
| From: "Green Xiar" <gree...@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Why not FtpCommand Support REST?
| Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 22:08:55 +0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetsdk.programming.wininet

Green Xiar

Jan 15, 2004, 10:54:31 PM1/15/04
This limitation is not well documented (WinINet). I donot
want to struggle with SOCKET monster after i saw WinINet
documnet on the MSDN. But when i finish the main function
of download, i test the restart feature from HTTP and
FTP server. And at this time i found FtpCommand only
support limited FTP command! Document not mention this
limitation! Any one who first look into this FtpCommand
will believe that it can execute most of the FTP command,
do they? This API function miss lead us. Its better to
not exists this api?

"Brian Combs" <Br...@online.microsoft.com> 写入消息

Paul Baker

Jan 16, 2004, 9:11:40 AM1/16/04
The way I see it, FtpCommand *does* support all FTP commands. But some
commands open a socket, to transfer a file for example. REST is one of them.
The REST command is sent fine and opens a socket just fine. But you've got
to use the socket :)

Paul

"Green Xiar" <gree...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Alun Jones [MS MVP]

Jan 20, 2004, 10:38:56 AM1/20/04
In article <ugrkbor1...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Green Xiar"

Because RFC 959 doesn't document the use of REST in STREAM mode connections.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
1602 Harvest Moon Place | al...@texis.com.
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers.
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | Try our NEW client software, WFTPD Explorer.