registry entry for "Automatically detect settings"

Jamie

Oct 26, 2006, 10:16:02 AM10/26/06
I am trying to figure out what registry entry I look at to find out if the
Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections ->LAN Settings Automatically detect
settings has been checked or not.

I found a couple posts on the net saying it was the
HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Internet
Settings/Connections/DefaultConnectionSettings but I've been unable to
isolate it exactly.

Appreciate any pointers ...

Jamie

Oct 26, 2006, 11:09:02 AM10/26/06
*Think* I found the answer, the 9th element in the byte array values indicate:

01 - neither of those 2 auto config boxes are checked
05 - just the Use automatic configuration script is checked
09 - just the Automatically detect settings is checked
0d - both of them are checked

Anyone else see it that way ?

stev...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2016, 4:15:17 PM2/4/16
Yes! I see it the same way; this is a very difficult config to look for out on the net, and one of the easier things to do is actually to use a hidden registry setting, see this url: http://blog.raido.be/?p=426

Also the topic is discussed on stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1674119/what-key-in-windows-registry-disables-ie-connection-parameter-automatically-det

(Text below for preservation of the hidden AutoDetect DWORD)

Automatically detect settings:

This is enabled by default. When this setting is enabled, the Web Proxy Auto Discovery (WPAD) protocol is used. The proxy will be discovered by checking DHCP option XX or by issuing a DNS query to a WPAD A record in the current domain and top level domains. When an address is returned, that server will be queried to download a proxy autoconfiguration file containing the logic to determine the correct proxy to use for a given URL.

How to control Automatically Detect Settings?

Registry Key : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
DWORD AutoDetect = 0 or 1