KB891781 DHTML edit update - no such interface supported

Pat Magnan

Feb 14, 2005, 7:43:39 PM2/14/05
Hi All:

I haven't seen this exact issue posted here, but apologize if this has
been replied to previously.

The company I work for uses the MS DHTML edit control as our primary
editor in our software product. Since the release of this hotfix, we
have only developed one solution, which is to remove the update, then
try to coerce our customer's corporate IT people to hold off deploying
it.

We did a little research with the DHTML edit control, and it would
appear that many of the interfaces it exports return NULL pointers,
specifically any interface which would return a reference to the DOM
document. We access the object through the OCX, in a Delphi
application, so perhaps there is a solution available to a C++
developer that we don't currently have available.

I know of a handful of other applications that are similarly broken,
is there documentation available on a new method of using the
control(s)? Is there a way to instantiate it that is 'safe' such that
we can again access the DOM object? Running it in our application on
the local machine doesn't seem like it should relate to 'cross site
scripting' which is what was apparently resolved...

David Alison

Feb 15, 2005, 8:53:16 AM2/15/05
Hi Pat,

You are not the only one. There are a huge number of products that now do
not work as a result of KB891781 being installed. We have had to resort to
uninstalling the patch before our application starts using the following
call:

%windir%\$NtUninstallKB891781$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet

The vendor of the DHTML editing control I use in Delphi (Profgrid) has told
us that Microsoft eliminated documented interfaces in this control throught
that patch. I believe that this problem will become significantly larger in
the days ahead as people begin to apply the windows patches and realize that
some of their applications do not work.

Microsoft needs to address this ASAP.

--David

"Pat Magnan" <p...@sluggo.org> wrote in message

D.J.W. van Kooten

Feb 17, 2005, 5:49:06 AM2/17/05
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:53:16 -0500, "David Alison"
<no_spam_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The vendor of the DHTML editing control I use in Delphi (Profgrid) has told
>us that Microsoft eliminated documented interfaces in this control throught
>that patch. I believe that this problem will become significantly larger in
>the days ahead as people begin to apply the windows patches and realize that
>some of their applications do not work.

Hello David,

We use dhtml:Dom to get the text value and the content of a selection
and have the problems too. I believe there must be other ways to
accomplish this, as I find only a very limited of complaints about
this patch. The Profgrid forum for example, where you are refering to,
does not have a single entry about this.

Does anybody have an alternative way to get this info without
violating MS patch?

Dick

Ni...@mytools.com

Feb 17, 2005, 2:45:57 PM2/17/05

Dick, you should check back to the Profgrid forum... There is lots of
info about this problem and even a (good) temporary solution posted
2-17 by Olaf.

j.edwards

Feb 21, 2005, 1:15:50 AM2/21/05
I've also got this problem, and have done a quick test with some new apps.
Delphi doesn't work, but VB does. Coincidence? They can't have just pulled
the interfaces because it still works fine in VB. What would VB doing
differently?

Michael Vidrevich

Feb 21, 2005, 9:02:20 AM2/21/05
Hi, All!
I got the problem like this in my C++ code.
But my problem is incorrect use of IPersistStream. Microsoft guys changed
the internal format of the dhtmledit control description (persist stream
content) that used for store/restore object state. So, if you object calls
internal interfaces it may be a problem.

Best Regards & Good Luck,
Michael

Thomas Zangl

Feb 21, 2005, 3:30:31 AM2/21/05
David Alison wrote:

Hi all!

> The vendor of the DHTML editing control I use in Delphi (Profgrid) has told
> us that Microsoft eliminated documented interfaces in this control throught
> that patch. I believe that this problem will become significantly larger in
> the days ahead as people begin to apply the windows patches and realize that
> some of their applications do not work.

"We too" - they stopped our entiere application with this :-/

> Microsoft needs to address this ASAP.

Definitly. Additionally they should release a developer notice to the
public instead letting them alone in the rain...

,yours Thomas Zangl -th...@tzi.dhs.org- -TZ1-6BONE-
-http://tzi.dhs.org - http://www.borg-kindberg.ac.at
Use YAMC! now! Get it at http://www.borg-kindberg.ac.at/yamc/

Willie Moore

Mar 1, 2005, 6:57:23 PM3/1/05
Hey,

VB breaks just as easy if you do something as simple as this:
oDOM = oDHTML.DOM ' will fail on this line

I am still looking for a solution.

Regards,

Willie

"j.edwards" <j.edwards__NO...@sagetechnology.com.au> wrote in
message news:42197c96$0$79233$c30e...@lon-reader.news.telstra.net...

Rohan Reddy

Mar 1, 2005, 11:52:16 PM3/1/05
try this:
set oDOM = oDHTML.DOM

Regards,
Rohan Reddy

"Willie Moore" <wil...@wmconsulting.com> wrote in message

Willie Moore

Mar 2, 2005, 10:11:38 AM3/2/05
Rohan,

The set give the same thing. Microsoft made some major changes to DOM access
with K891781. My sample is just a snippet to show the issue. To see the
issue, create a new project, add DHTML in as a reference. Add a single
command button and paste the code below. You should get error message:
Run-time error -214748113 (8000ffff)
method DOM of object iDhtmlEdit failed

Regards,

Willie