Unix Internet Explorer IE5.0 Service Pack 1 Public Beta for Solaris is released!

ieunix

Mar 15, 2001, 8:43:22 PM3/15/01
Here is a notification that I emailed to the customers that have contacted
me.
I encourage everyone to download the UnixIE5.0 SP1 Public Beta, and report
your issues
to this newsgroup.

I am pleased to announce the release of UnixIE 5.0
Service Pack 1 Beta for Solaris (Version 5.00.2013.2002).

The release can be accessed from following page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/preview/unixbeta/ie5sp1.htm
as well as
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/ie/unix/sol/ie5sp1beta/

Thanks,
-Brion Stone
Internet Explorer for Unix Program Manager
Microsoft

------------------------------

Here is a description of the Beta:

Internet Explorer 5 Service Pack 1 for Solaris (SPARC) Public Beta

The Solaris beta of Unix Internet Explorer 5.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
provides Java within the browser window, DHTML editing, and other
updates and security fixes to the Internet Explorer technology.
Previous versions popped up an external appletviewer window to display
the applets, but Java applets are now rendered in the browser page.
When used with Exchange 2000 SP1, the UnixIE 5.0 SP1 will display the
rich text experience with Outlook Web Access, including drag and drop,
and rich text email. The Solaris beta of Unix Internet Explorer 5.0 SP1
can be installed as an upgrade to existing versions of Unix Internet
Explorer, or on computers with no previous Internet Explorer
installation.

What's New in Internet Explorer 5 Service Pack 1 for Solaris

Java within the IE browser

Java applets are now rendered in the browser page. Previous versions
popped up an external appletviewer window to display the applets.

Rich Text Support for Outlook Web Access

When used with Exchange 2000 SP1, the Unix IE 5 SP1 will display the
rich text experience with Outlook Web Access, including drag and drop,
and rich text email. This feature enables the browser to call a rich
text editing control in order to support "HTML text composition" for the
OWA application in the browser. After the browser supports HTML text
composition, the E2K OWA will be modified to send HTML 4.0 content to
the Unix IE 5 browser. This enables OWA HTML text composition,
Drag-and-drop editing, Preview pane and Tree Control.

Support for OE handling binary certificates from an LDAP server

Outlook Express's "oecontacts" utility currently has the ability to
query an LDAP server for users. Internet Explorer 5 Service Pack 1 for
Solaris adds the ability to read the binary certificates associated with
users from that server.

Support for submitting certificates to a Win2K server
Internet Explorer 5 Service Pack 1 for Solaris supplies support for
submitting certificates to a Win2K server. Certificates are part of the
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), which provides the means for
safeguarding and authenticating information.

Registry Generation during Installation
IE 5 SP1 for Solaris restores the ability to generate the registry
during installation. The user no longer has to download a correct
registry file after installation, before the Unix IE will function.

BETA SUPPORT POLICY

Important Information: This is prerelease (beta) software, distributed
for feedback and testing purposes. Microsoft does not provide technical
support for beta products (see below for information about how to gain
access to peer-to-peer newsgroups). This software is for advanced users
who regularly test prereleased software. If you are unsure of whether
this accurately describes you, Microsoft recommends that you do not
download this prerelease software. If you choose to install this
prerelease software, Microsoft recommends that you install it in a test
environment and not in a production environment.

SUPPORT

Assisted support for this beta product is not available. We have
provided a newsgroup to help you try out the Internet Explorer 5.0 SP1
for UNIX.

Please visit the peer-to-peer newsgroup at:
news://microsoft.public.inetexplorer.unix .

Feedback Information

The beta testing process is very important because it helps ensure that
we release the best possible products. We believe you will provide us
with the feedback necessary to accomplish this goal. Feedback should be
sent to ieu...@hotmail.com.

How to download and install

1. Go to ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/ie/unix/sol/ie5sp1beta

2. Download the "ie5_sp1beta_sol" file.

3. Change the file permissions to 555 :
> chmod 555 ie5_sp1beta_sol

4. Run the "ie5_sp1beta_sol" file :
> ./ie5_sp1beta_sol

5. When the setup program prompts for an installation directory,
accept the default directory or type in a new directory path. (Note that
installing to the default directory, /usr/local/microsoft, may require
root access.)

6. After the beta installs, you can start Internet explorer by
running "<installation directory>/bin/iexplorer".

Read This First

There is a readme.sun.txt file shipped as part of the release. After
installation, change to the installation directory and read this file.

System Requirements

To run the released version of Internet Explorer 5 for Solaris, your
system must meet the following minimum requirements:'
A Sparcstation 2 or greater
English Solaris 2.5 and above
32 MB of RAM (64 MB recommended)
68 MB of hard-disk space to perform the installation

How to use

If your environment uses a proxy server or automatic proxy configuration
scripts, you will need to set these values in the Tools->Internet
Options menu (Connections Tab).

You will get a "Cannot allocate Mainwin static colors. Another

mwcolormanager or Mainwin application might be running." message
when running UnixIE subsequent times. You may ignore this message.

Java Applets:

This Solaris UnixIE5 beta uses the Java Plug-in VM from Sun to render
Java applets within the browser. You must have this VM installed in
your environment before Java applets will render in the browser window.

Additionally, you must copy the Plug-in library (javaplugin.so) to one
of the directories in the UnixIE 5.0 SP1 Beta Plug-in search path:

%MSFT_HOME%/plugins
/usr/local/microsoft/plugins
/usr/local/netscape/plugins
%HOME%/.microsoft/plugins
%HOME%/.netscape/plugins
%HOME%/windows/plugins
You will find the Java Plug-in in the Java Plug-in directory (e.g.,
/opt/NSCPcom/plugins/, /usr/j2se/plugin/sparc/ns4/).

In order to view unsigned applets, you must disable java permission.
Here is a way to open up all permissions. This is a large security risk:
1. Create a local .java.policy file (copy from
($JRE_HOME)/lib/security/java.policy to ~/.java.policy). Add "write"
permissions for user to ~/.java.policy .
2. Use ($JRE_HOME)/bin/policytool to edit your private java policy.
3. Remove all policies in the list.
4. Select "Add Policy Entry" button from the Policy Tool window.
The Policy Entry window should appear.
5. Select "Add Permission" button from the Policy Entry window. The
Permissions window should appear.
6. Select the "Permissions" drop down list from the Permissions
window Select "AllPermission" from the list. Select the OK button to
confirm.
7. Select the Done button from the Policy Entry window.
8. Select File->Save from the Policy Tool window.
Note: You have just given all permissions to unsigned applets. This
leaves you open to certain security vulnerabilities. Run only applets
that you know are not harmful.

How to uninstall

1. You must remove the current installation directory, for example,
'rm -rf /usr/local/microsoft'.
2. Additionally, there is a directory named ".microsoft" in the
home directory for each user account that has run Internet Explorer at
least once. This directory may also be deleted if the user wishes to
remove all personal settings for Internet Explorer (including cookies,
history and favorites).
3. If you implemented CDE integration as explained in the README,
you should remove it by deleting the "IE5.dt" file from the system or
user directory.

Ernie Miller

Mar 16, 2001, 9:28:48 AM3/16/01
I noticed that the updated version still doesn't allow both IE and Outlook
Express to run at the same time on Solaris 8... Has any progress been made
in tracking this problem down?

Thanks,
Ernie

Stephen Chadfield

Mar 16, 2001, 9:47:11 AM3/16/01
Geoff Wild <gw...@vsl.com> writes:

> Brion,
>
> I get the following error when I try to run IE5 sp1:

> Cannot allocate Mainwin static colors.
> Another mwcolormanager or Mainwin application might be running
>

> I'm running Solaris 8 with Gnome.

I also see this and the IE window does not appear:

SunOS humbug 5.7 Generic_106541-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-30

--
Stephen Chadfield
http://www.chadfield.com/

Geoff Wild

Mar 16, 2001, 9:24:31 AM3/16/01
Brion,

I get the following error when I try to run IE5 sp1:

Cannot allocate Mainwin static colors.

Another mwcolormanager or Mainwin application might be running

I'm running Solaris 8 with Gnome.

Rgds...

Geoff Wild geoff...@veritasdgc.com
Veritas GeoServices Suite 2200, 715 5th Avenue SW
Unix Administrator Calgary, AB T2P 5A2
Vox: 403-205-6253 Fax: 403-205-6401

Steve Farmer

Apr 25, 2001, 9:33:57 AM4/25/01
I get the same error when I try to start IE5 on the left screen of a
dual-screen Ultra1 or Ultra10 running Solaris 2.6. Strangely enough, IE5
does launch on the right screen of both systems. I've noticed that IE5 does
start a mwcolormanager process when it launches on the right screen. Maybe a
color depth problem? The previous release was OK on either screen.
Regards,
Steve Farmer, Oman

"Geoff Wild" <gw...@vsl.com> wrote in message

wo...@wintermute.eng.sun.com

Apr 25, 2001, 7:29:50 PM4/25/01
In article <Oy2iHwYzAHA.1844@tkmsftngp05>, Steve Farmer wrote:
>I get the same error when I try to start IE5 on the left screen of a
>dual-screen Ultra1 or Ultra10 running Solaris 2.6. Strangely enough, IE5
>does launch on the right screen of both systems. I've noticed that IE5 does
>start a mwcolormanager process when it launches on the right screen. Maybe a
>color depth problem? The previous release was OK on either screen.

well i'll be the son of a red-headed step-child. never even thought of that.

guess what, me too. and just like Steve here, the old IE5 ran fine.

SPARCstation 20 doesn't work on SX (left) but works on GX (right)

i wonder if i made the SX the right screen it would start working. i'm gonna
have to test that.

i'll let you know how it goes.

-brian

wo...@wintermute.eng.sun.com

Apr 26, 2001, 6:56:20 AM4/26/01
In article <O0Pig#dzAHA.1768@tkmsftngp02>, wo...@wintermute.eng.sun.com wrote:

>well i'll be the son of a red-headed step-child. never even thought of that.

a left handed one at that.

>guess what, me too. and just like Steve here, the old IE5 ran fine.
>
>SPARCstation 20 doesn't work on SX (left) but works on GX (right)
>
>i wonder if i made the SX the right screen it would start working. i'm gonna
>have to test that.
>
>i'll let you know how it goes.

well, it definitely works on the GX but not on the SX. which kinda stinks
since the whole reason i got the SX going was so i could have 24-bit color
to surf the internet (and use gimp, but i could even live without 24-bit
color for gimp).

but the things that bothers me is that steve isn't using a sparc20, so maybe
there is more to it than that. i don't know. but, it's a datapoint for you
guys to take a stab at.

and old IE5 ran fine on the SX.

cheers,

-brian

ps: Steve, what frambuffers do you have?

Steve Farmer

Apr 26, 2001, 7:25:01 AM4/26/01
Brian,
I look after over 130 workstations. Models include Ultra1 and Ultra2
(GX + Creator3D), Ultra10 (PGX and Creator3D) ,Ultra30 (dual Creator3D),
Ultra60 (Creator3D and Elite3D M6), Ultra80 (Elite3D M6 and Expert3D) and
will soon have a few SunBlade 1000's (dual Expert3D). I'll test one of each
type when I get into the office on Saturday and see if the 24bit theory
holds water. As I said before, the old version works on all systems and
frame buffers.
Regards,
Steve.
<wo...@wintermute.eng.sun.com> wrote in message