Failed to launch Help

David Aberdeen

Jul 20, 2007, 12:09:45 AM7/20/07
When I use the F1 key to launch help, it sometimes gives the error "Failed
to launch help", sometimes preceded by "HH_CONTEXT_HELP: Called without a
[MAP] section".

I've figured out that it's releated to my .hhp file. The [MAP] section
includes many entries, and every time I add a new dialog, the resource
editor (I assume) adds a new context help entry to HTMLDefines.h. But, this
new entry is not automatically added to the ALIAS section. Is there any way
that I can have anything not listed in [ALIAS] go to a default page? The
"Default topic" in the [OPTIONS] section doesn't seem to do this. Or, do I
need to list everything from HTMLDefines.h, and specifically assign them all
to main_index.htm?

Here's my .hpp file...

[OPTIONS]
Auto Index=Yes
Compatibility=1.1 or later
Compiled file=MyApp.chm
Contents file=MyApp.hhc
Default topic=main_index.htm
Display compile progress=No
Full-text search=Yes
Index file=MyApp.hhk
Language=0xc09 English (Australia)

[FILES]
tut_drawn_bridle.htm
main_index.htm
tut_texturing.htm
glossary.htm

[ALIAS]
HIDR_MAINFRAME = main_index.htm
HIDR_MyAppTYPE = main_index.htm

[MAP]
#include HTMLDefines.h

[TEXT POPUPS]
HTMLDefines.h

[INFOTYPES]

-- end post --

Ulrich Kulle

Jul 20, 2007, 3:56:00 AM7/20/07
Hello David,

I assume you are using Visual Studio VC++ for a Microsoft Foundation Class
(MFC) based application. Excuse me - I use VB 2005 only ;-)

Are you using any tools like Indigoware’s Help Publisher?
http://www.indigoware.com/developers/mfc_help.htm

The "Default topic=main_index.htm" in your [OPTIONS] section is used to show
a homepage topic as default when the CHM file is launched by the CHM viewer
(hh.exe).

AFAIK (I don't know about generating a .HHP with VC++) each line in the
"#include HTMLDefines.h" must correspond to a line in the [ALIAS] section.
Note in the [ALIAS] section you alternatively *can* use a line "#include
foobar.ali" where "foobar.ali" is a text file containing the mapping between
each ID and a help topic is defined. All files are text based files and you
can be edited by Notepad. See also:
http://www.help-info.de/en/Help_Info_HTMLHelp/hh_context-id.htm

Make sure to add the include file(s) under the [FILES] section of the .hhp
file and update your [ALIAS] section.

If there is no special HTML topic for an ID and the corresponding control on
your form it's tricky to map to the main (default) page like "main_index.htm".

--
HTH
Best regards

Ulrich Kulle

Jul 20, 2007, 4:06:05 AM7/20/07
a copy mistake ..

"AFAIK (I don't know about generating a .HHP with VC++) each line in the

included "HTMLDefines.h" must correspond to a line in the [ALIAS] section."

--
HTH
Best regards

David Aberdeen

Jul 21, 2007, 10:11:19 PM7/21/07
Thanks Ulrich. Good to know. I guess I'll have to make the help complete
for everything in my application, and keep it up to date to stop this error
from happening. It's a bit annoying, but it's good to know that I'm not
missing some easy fix. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dave

"Ulrich Kulle" <infoREMOVE##TH...@help-info.de> wrote in message