Html Help Workshop + Unicode

Zuka

Jan 19, 2004, 1:22:22 PM1/19/04
Why can't I use Unicode in "Contents" for my html help ?
I've tried everything, even editing the Contents file manually and setting
the encoding in it. Nothing works.
What am I doing wrong?

--
best regards
Zuka

Ulrich Kulle

Jan 19, 2004, 4:50:32 PM1/19/04
Hello Zuka,

sorry, Help 1.x does not support Unicode file encoding - only MS Help 2.x
does. MS Help is used to support help for Visual Studio .NET.

Best regards
Ulrich Kulle
*****************************
http://www.help-info.de
info##@help-info.de
Remove ##
*****************************

Ulrich Kulle

Jan 19, 2004, 4:56:09 PM1/19/04
Hello Zuka,

sorry, HTMLHelp 1.x does not support Unicode file encoding - only MS Help
2.x does. MS Help 2 is used to support help for Visual Studio .NET.

Zuka

Jan 19, 2004, 4:59:54 PM1/19/04
I do use VS C++ .NET 2003
Do you know where I can get this MS Help 2.x if it's not included with my
compiler ?

"Ulrich Kulle" <online-2003-3...@help-info.de> wrote in message

Ulrich Kulle

Jan 19, 2004, 6:33:02 PM1/19/04
Hello Zuka,

> I do use VS C++ .NET 2003
> Do you know where I can get this MS Help 2.x if it's not included with my
> compiler ?

a good place to start reading is:
http://www.helpware.net/FAR/help/msh2_primer.htm
http://www.helpware.net/mshelp2/h2faq.htm

Please read this documents carefully and have a look at FAR
(http://www.helpware.net).
Note: MS Help 2.x supports help for Visual Studio .NET

Zuka

Jan 20, 2004, 5:17:18 AM1/20/04
I was just reading about MS help 2

Getting runtime for MS help 2 is just horrible, I can't make my users
download 113 MB just to read the help. I mean my software is 1MB download

MS H2 Runtime Download:

MS Help 2.x runtime (help engine) installer (like hhupd.exe in HH 1.x), will
not be made available (See Jan 2003 MS Announcement). If you want to
distribute MS H2 based help, your customers must install either: Visual
Studio .NET, MSDN Library, .NET Framework SDK, or Microsoft Office
Developer. All of which install the MS Help 2 runtime.

Peter Plamondon (MS) has just kindly reminded me that the .NET Framework SDK
is the only free source of MS Help 2 runtime at this stage. Its a huge
download at 113MB, but it can also be ordered on CD-ROM.

So in fact there is no help in unicode. Very nice, go MS go

"Ulrich Kulle" <infoREMOV...@help-info.de> wrote in message

Ulrich Kulle

Jan 20, 2004, 5:20:10 AM1/20/04

As addition of the last posting:
Visual Studio.NET installs the Help 2.0 runtime when
MSDN.NET is installed, and at that point VSHIK is only
needed if you want to create MS Help 2.0 files.

Best regards
Ulrich Kulle

Pete Lees [MVP]

Jan 20, 2004, 7:28:12 AM1/20/04
Zuka,

> Why can't I use Unicode in "Contents" for my html help ?
> I've tried everything, even editing the Contents file
> manually and setting the encoding in it. Nothing works.

Does anything in the Translation Info section of the page
below help?

http://helpware.net/FAR/far_faq.htm

Pete

Zuka

Jan 20, 2004, 8:16:44 AM1/20/04
Thanx for the tip.

I have no problems with characters in the page view (right view). They are
displayed as they should, I used UTF-8 encoding. But I cannot do the same
for "Contents" (the Table of Contents.hhc file), so my help topics and
subtopics are reduced to plain ASCII I suppose.
I tried to rename Table of Contents.hhc to Table of Contents.htm and use
UTF-8 but it didn't help. I got djibberish characters there where 2 bytes
are used for encoding.

"Pete Lees [MVP]" <PD....@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Emil Damian

Jan 22, 2004, 4:58:58 AM1/22/04
The 2.0 version of MS Help was suspended from public release.
I think the only choise now is MSHelp 1.x.

http://www.helpware.net/mshelp2/msannounce.htm#post2

Zuka

Jan 22, 2004, 6:48:36 AM1/22/04
Do you know if it's possible in anyway to use Unicode in the "Contents" of a
chm help file ?
I use UTF-8 in all other htm files and it works great.

"Emil Damian" <emil....@softwaresolutions.ro> wrote in message

Rob Chandler [MVP]

Jan 23, 2004, 12:14:55 AM1/23/04
Unicode can be reliably saved as ANSI (which supports double byte languages
such
as japanese and chinese). However you do need to take care that your
machine is set to the appropriate language (Code Page).

EG. In converting from Unicode to Ansi you need to use the correct CodePage
(This
is generally set up in Windows Control panel - 2K and XP only). If you
have the wrong code page you will just get goop or ???? letters.

So if I open a Unicode file up in NotePad and save to Ansi Japanese --- if
the current
code page (Windows Language) is not set to Japanese it just wont work.
The Code Page tells windows how to map the Unicode to a restricted set of
chars (usually
256 chars -- more if double byte).

Certainly having mixed languages in the TOC wont work (unless all
those chars can exist in a single code page). All Code pages usually share
the
first 128 chars.

Once you have converted to ANSI the next step is to make sure you have the
CharSet and Language settings correct in your HHP and HHC and HHK files.

Some things like seeing a Chinese HHK Index on an English machine just
seems to be impossible. Always compile Chinese on a real Chinese machine.

Internet Explorer is unicode friendly. If you can just find a compatible TOC
and
search you can stay in Unicode. How about using like a web type TOC.

--

Rob Chandler
MS Help MVP
"Zuka" <as...@formyemail.com> wrote in message

Zuka

Jan 23, 2004, 4:48:53 AM1/23/04
Can I use the web-type TOC in Html Workshop? Or with the help compiler, I
can use other HTML editors.
That would be great

"Rob Chandler [MVP]" <m...@helpwareREMOVETHISTEXT.net> wrote in message

Rob Chandler [MVP]

Jan 23, 2004, 6:34:48 PM1/23/04

> Can I use the web-type TOC in Html Workshop? Or with the help compiler, I
> can use other HTML editors.
> That would be great

You can certainly choose not to have a standard TOC. I was thinking you
could to like a
regular web site with a web type site map then wrap it all in a CHM (with
standard Nav
disabled).

The search may be the problem. Did you see my notes on
http://helpware.net/FAR/far_faq.htm#unicode

You may get away with UTF-8 type unicode.

Rob

dilip....@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2013, 1:34:48 AM3/25/13
I just need to help plz....