Jornada 720 DNS info

1 view

Wookie

Feb 13, 2006, 9:18:53 PM2/13/06
Is there anyway to do a search for DNS numbers on the wireless network you
access?

All i've been able to do is input the DNS servers for my own network, which
works on my home wireless, but not away (or am I doing something wrong?)

I run a Cisco Aeronet 350. All it shows me is the MAC address of the
wireless router its reading. I don't have the entire internet IP addresses
memorized (my brain runs out of memory so fast!) and dont feel like writing
down every single IP i want to access.

Any tips or thoughts?

Thanks

Wookie

Feb 13, 2006, 9:41:05 PM2/13/06
One other thing. I'm gone from home 5 days a week and don't know if this
will vanish before I get back.

If you have a solution, can you please e-mail it to me?

Thanks

"Wookie" <jrpet...@cox.net> wrote in message

Bible John

Feb 13, 2006, 10:52:27 PM2/13/06
Mark 1:15-The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent
and believe the good news!"
CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible

"Wookie" <jrpet...@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is there anyway to do a search for DNS numbers on the wireless network you
> access?

Try using Vx Util.

http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html

Some of its features

Utilities include:

a.. DNS Audit
b.. DNS Lookup
c.. Finger
d.. Get HTML
e.. Info
f.. IP Subnet Calculator
g.. Password Generator
h.. Ping
i.. Ping Sweep
j.. Port Scanner
k.. Quote
l.. Time Service
m.. Trace Route
n.. Wake On LAN
o.. Whois

> All i've been able to do is input the DNS servers for my own network,
> which works on my home wireless, but not away (or am I doing something
> wrong?)
>
> I run a Cisco Aeronet 350. All it shows me is the MAC address of the
> wireless router its reading. I don't have the entire internet IP
> addresses memorized (my brain runs out of memory so fast!) and dont feel
> like writing down every single IP i want to access.
>
> Any tips or thoughts?

See above

> Thanks

Encase other posters by the name of Chris Tilley or Clinton Fitch respond I
would encourage you to be discerning of the advice you receive from these
two. Although they do have much to offer, its safe to say that some of
their advice is in left field!

Once I had a broken serial port on my old Jornada 680 and Tilley and Clinton
suggested that I reformat the hard drive of my desktop PC! Good thing for
me I did not take their advice. Ever since then I have been really
discerning of the technical "expertese" of these two.

The solution was to buy a Jornada 720 or send the 680 in for hardware
repairs. It was cheaper to buy the 720.

John

Wookie

Feb 13, 2006, 11:29:52 PM2/13/06
Thanks,

But unfortunately, vxUtil won't provide me with the DNS IPs. It looks like
vxIPConfig would, but it wont install on my Pocket PC 2000 system. I guess
its only good for Pocket PC 2002.

"Bible John" <johnw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Srtgray

Feb 14, 2006, 6:57:21 AM2/14/06
Your wireless connection should include some DNS addresses which are in
the router - try using those in the Jornada.

Stuart

Eric

Feb 21, 2006, 10:39:41 PM2/21/06

"Wookie" wrote in message ...

Hi,

J720/Aironet 342 here.

Not sure why you don't want DHCP to just do it's thing, but if the wireless
networks you are using away from home are internet piped, then you should be
able to get away with using a public DNS server(s) -- and using the same DNS
server(s) with any wireless (internet) network you connect to. DNS doesn't
have to be local.

BTW: What are using to survey SSID's with your Aironet 350? I just got my
Aironet 342 recently and while it works pretty good I haven't been able to
come across anything to survey SSID's with it. None of the client versions
have an SSID survey tool, which needless to say makes it of little use
outside of home. Ministumbler also doesn't work with this card and from
what I've read neither does the 350 series.

I spent most of last night fiddling with different firmware/client combos
until finding the one I wanted to use. (What I wanted was a combo where one
of the newer clients worked, but the ROM built-in drivers and client would
also work -- in case of having to do a hard reset away from home and my CF
card became corrupted so couldn't do a restore. While its very unlikely for
both to happen, I just wanted to be 100% confident that the J720 could
default back to a basic web/email machine with no PC support.) It took a
few hours to play with them all, but eventually found one to do exactly
that. This is for the 340 series, not 350. (Just posting this in case
someone later deja's for J720/A340 info.)

Firmware Version 4.25.30
[ No longer on Cisco's site, but can still be found at
http://ecomputing.med.harvard.edu/downloads.asp ]

Aironet Client Utility 2.30.11
[ Still available on Cisco's site. You'll need to register to download. ]

Anyway, a pointer towards something that can be used to survey SSID's (scan
and display the SSID's in the air) with the 340/50 would be much
appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

Feb 23, 2006, 1:19:00 AM2/23/06

"Eric" <nos...@nospam.vvv> wrote in message

> BTW: What are using to survey SSID's with your Aironet 350? I just got my
> Aironet 342 recently and while it works pretty good I haven't been able to
> come across anything to survey SSID's with it. None of the client
versions
> have an SSID survey tool, which needless to say makes it of little use
> outside of home. Ministumbler also doesn't work with this card and from
> what I've read neither does the 350 series.

Answering my own question, should someone be looking for the same in the
future:

(Found on HPC Forum. "Cmonex" did the leg work in rounding up the .dll's to
make them work with the J720. Just copy the .dll's into the install
directories. Ignore the whining about attempting to a non-supported device.)

PocketWinC Wifi scanner. Everything works great with my A340! Finally can
scan SSID's!)
http://izemize.fw.hu/pwincfree.zip

PocketWarrior. Ministumbler'ish. Half the features are working with my
A340. I haven't played with it too much though and think I can/will get the
other features working.
http://izemize.fw.hu/pwarrior.zip