DBMS: 12 Error

Tom Shooter

Jan 30, 2008, 4:33:44 PM1/30/08
All,
Has anyone seen this error before. I did some research and could not find
anything:
"The stored procedur PopulateRMOpenTempTable, Pass Through SQL Returned
the following results: DBMS: 12 Microsoft Dynamics GP;."

It seems to be random and we are also seeing a similar error in Payables. I
have remote desktopped in to the Server and I can not recreate errors.

David Musgrave [MSFT]

Jan 31, 2008, 7:52:01 PM1/31/08
We have seen this error on systems which have power saving options like
suspend, sleep and hibernate turned on, or on systems with faulty network
adaptors.

If a window using a temporary table is opened, the table is created on the
SQL server for the current connection. If there is a break in network
connectivity, the connection to SQL will be lost and the temporary table
removed.

When you try to access the table, Dexterity will automatically make a new
connection and try to access the previously created temporary table. This
table was associated with a different SQL session will not be available.
Accessing it will generate a SQL Syntax Error which shows up as return code
12.

Hope this helps.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

mailto:David.M...@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

Victoria [MVP]

Jan 31, 2008, 8:43:21 PM1/31/08
Just to second what David is saying... we see this error a lot when there is
a lost connection to the SQL Server. Take a look a the event log on the
computer where this happens prior to the error, I would expect to see some
errors of a networking nature. If this happens once in a while, restarting
GP should take care of it. If it happens all the time, you may need to
troubleshoot some more.

The two most memorable cases when it took some time to find the cause for
this:
1. User's network cable was cramped between the wall and a filing cabinet
almost cutting it in half by the time we found it. Amazingly, while she was
getting other intermittent errors, the biggest issue was GP. However, this
was also someone who is in GP all day every day entering a lot of
transactions.

2. Customer had ordered new computers for the entire accounting department
and they all came with the network card set to automatically go to sleep
after 15 minutes of inactivity.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP