Printing on blank check stock

NickM

Jun 1, 2007, 4:37:00 PM6/1/07
I would like to be able to print checks on blank stock, is this possible with
GP without any thire-party addons? To further complicate the issue I need to
be able to do it for 4-6 different bank accounts. Is this possible? if so
does anyone know if there is a guide or something that could point me in the
right direction?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nick

Charles Allen

Jun 3, 2007, 2:55:00 AM6/3/07
Assuming you want to print the MICR line as well as all the other text, you
must use a third-party product. Mekorma's MICR check product is the most
widely-used.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

Robin P

Jun 4, 2007, 8:35:01 AM6/4/07
We have the Mekorma 3rd party software but currently print checks on
preprinted forms. We want to move to blank stock but our check supplier
tells us that there are many issues (ie magnetic toner has shelf life,
printers may print smudges on the MICR line, etc. etc.) that may cause the
checks to fail clearing at the bank without warning. We know his opinion is
very biased. What is the general consenus on this?

Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP

Jun 4, 2007, 9:22:39 AM6/4/07
Robin:

His issues are really non-issues. I have multiple clients using
Mekorma MICR for check printing and have never heard any of these kind
of issues from any of them.

There's another product out there called Print Boss that one of my
smaller clients uses. It seems to do a pretty good job too and I
think it might be a little less expensive than Mekorma but may be more
suited to a smaller company.

Good luck,

Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP
NOVA Solutions LLC
Melbourne, FL

NickM

Jun 4, 2007, 9:35:00 AM6/4/07
Thanks for your help, I will look into Mekorma.

Richard L. Whaley

Jun 4, 2007, 12:25:01 PM6/4/07
You can get cheep Micr refiles and some of these have problems. Most
original carts are great and I too have several clients working with no
problems.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

Lyle U

Jun 4, 2007, 2:35:27 PM6/4/07
Robin,

My longest term Mekorma client has been using the product since Great
Plains version 6.0 and has never had any of the suggested "problems". I
have no hesitation in recommending the Mekorma product.

--
Lyle U

Mark Polino (dynamicaccounting.net)

Jun 4, 2007, 4:00:14 PM6/4/07
I have to agree with Charles. The Mekorma MICR product is rock solid.
Beyond a certain size (# of checks, # of bank accounts, # of
companies) using blank check stock simply makes the most sense.

I've seen alignment issues once when a dead HP printer was replaced
with a Lexmark due to different printer drivers but that was a pretty
extreme case. Even in cases where I've seen MICR toner problems, the
bank doesn't reject the check. It gets hand processed and you get a
notice asking you to fix it. Once the first check is accepted by the
bank, you shouldn't see any issues after that. I've also never seen a
MICR shelf life issue.

Mark (DynamicAccounting.net)

On Jun 4, 2:35 pm, "Lyle U" <l...@nowhere.net> wrote:
> Robin,
>
> My longest term Mekorma client has been using the product since Great
> Plains version 6.0 and has never had any of the suggested "problems". I
> have no hesitation in recommending the Mekorma product.

Robert Yount

Jun 4, 2007, 9:54:51 PM6/4/07
We have been using Mekorma for about 5 years. We have never had any of
the issues you mentioned and. We use an HP Laserjet 2420 which is
dedicated for check printing. I believe HP has discontinued that line
and now sells the P3005 series in it's place.

Robin P

Jun 6, 2007, 10:01:10 AM6/6/07
Thanks to everyone who replied...most helpful. Any insights as to the best
suppliers for magnetic toner?

Robert Yount

Jun 7, 2007, 2:20:10 PM6/7/07
Right now we are using a Troy cartridge we probably got from CDW. We
have also used Micro-Micr: http://www.micro-micr.com