GP 10 Home Page + Outlook + Citrix Server = CRASH!

Tim Foster

Nov 16, 2007, 3:19:02 PM11/16/07
We're in the QA phase of an upgrade to Dynamics GP V10 from V8SP5 and we've
encountered a problem with the Home Page.

If the Outlook section is visible, Dynamics GP will crash during the
rendering of the Home Page with an error referencing dxtrans.dll. I have
checked versions of this dll with a known to be working workstation and found
no differences. I suspect there is an issue with way IE is configured (or
operates) in Server 2003.

For now we've removed the Outlook section of the Home Page and are
proceeding with our QA testing.

This question was originally posted by FrankR in October with no answers to
it.

--
Tim Foster

John

Nov 18, 2007, 10:11:03 AM11/18/07
We encountered the same issue and when I contact support about it... they
gave me a script to run against the database to remove the dashboard items,
essentially removing the Outlook Client, and then I would be able to launch
GP and go into the customize dashboard and reselect tasks, reminders,
metrics, and reports... just don't add the Outlook Client back...

Support didn't say if this would be fixed in the new SP, but they did say
that it was an update that MS Outlook put out that has created this issue
within GP. If you need the script... contact me.

Thanks,

John

Tim Foster

Nov 19, 2007, 8:55:03 AM11/19/07
Thanks for the response. I had already written that script myself before
posting the question. The script worked but it seemed like such a
cheesy/silly solution that I posted the question anyway. I've got the same
response to the original question that FrankR posted back in October. I do
hope that you (or anyone else) were not charged for your support incident to
address this. There SHOULD be a KB by now about this.

For the benefit of others, the script is in KB918313 ("Frequently asked
questions about the home pages feature...") in Q13.

Also, what seems to be missing from support advice is that an Admin user
should navigate to Microsoft Dynamics GP >> Tools >> Setup >> System >>
System Preferences and unselect "Load Microsoft Office Outlook" to remove it
as a default for new user's home pages.

--
Tim Foster

Smith@discussions.microsoft.com Michael Smith

Nov 6, 2008, 11:53:01 AM11/6/08
I too am trying to update GP8.5 to GP10.0 with Citrix. I have the same issue.
You may uninstall Outlook and the issue will go away also.( I know this is
not acceptable to some, but you can use IE to access Outlook.) I have just
tried GP 10 with sp3 and encountered the same result of GP rashing at the
dashboard. Sorry this doesn't help much, but at least you know sp3 did not
fix the issue.

Andrew Cooper

Nov 7, 2008, 3:59:36 AM11/7/08
Dead simple to fix, this one.

Go to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics\GP\Background\Images\
directory, and rename the file "Icmsg.gif" to something else.

Rather bizarely, it's something to do with an incompatibility between
this file and DirectX. Anyway, renaming this file should fix the
problem.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Michael Smith

Nov 7, 2008, 1:07:01 PM11/7/08
You are absolutely correct. That was amazing!!!!!

John Lynch

Sep 17, 2009, 3:05:04 PM9/17/09
Wow - a year later and Andrew's fix corrected my issue on a couple of Citrix
servers as well -- GP 10/SP3/Windows 2003 Server/Citrix Metaframe
THANKS!