BI - 2005 reporting services or webhouse

debell...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2006, 9:37:16 PM8/16/06

my company is looking at BI reports using either one of the below:
- 2005 reporting services
- Webhouse
- Panorama

Data source = GP 9.0

can anyone tell me the main difference between the three products or
any recommendations?

thanks.
Belle

Charles Allen

Aug 16, 2006, 11:38:01 PM8/16/06
SQL Server 2005 reporting services provide you browser-based reports that can
be accessed from the GP home page or a web page displaying a catalog of
reports. The technology is built into SQL 2005. To build the reports you need
to use the SQL Server 2005 reporting services portion of Visual Studio, which
is installed with SQL Server 2005.

Webhouse is from Professional Advantage but no longer exists except for
added cubes for Project Accounting, WennSoft, and one other item. The
financial and distribution cubes are available from Microsoft. You get the
financial cubes with the foundation layer of GP. You can add on the
distribution cubes as part of the Advanced Analysis Cubes.

The cubes can be accessed using the Pivot Table Creator for Excel, the Excel
add-in for SQL Server Analysis Services, SQL Reporting Services, Business
Portal, Crystal Reports, and many other report writers.

I do not know anything about the last item.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

hlv

Aug 17, 2006, 12:08:13 AM8/17/06
Hi Charles,

It is interesting that you metioned SQL reporting services report can
be accessed via the home page in GP9. I am just wondering how can it be
done?

thanks

Charles Allen

Aug 17, 2006, 10:39:02 AM8/17/06
On one of the menus (I forget which one) is an option for SQL Server
Reporting Services. It has two fields for entering information about the
reporting services URLs.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

Stacey

Aug 18, 2006, 8:50:01 PM8/18/06
Charles,
which menu option will this be? can you post the path?
Stacey

Charles Allen

Aug 18, 2006, 10:03:01 PM8/18/06
Tools --> Setup --> System --> SQL Reporting Services
--
Charles Allen, MVP

debell...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2006, 7:47:12 PM8/20/06
Charles,

thanks for your help and the valuable information esp on cubes. :-)

Sad to say, my company has already purchased webhouse and judging from
the information, that software can be shelved since we have also
upgraded to SQL server 2005.

regards,
Belle

Charles Allen

Aug 20, 2006, 9:51:48 PM8/20/06
Microsoft purchased the cubes that Professional Advantage created. Therefore,
you aren't trashing it because what you bought is available from MS, now. The
ProClarity client, however, is another matter. That product is going away
because MS purchased it.

Therese R.

Aug 21, 2006, 9:14:47 PM8/21/06
The home page probably works fine if you have fixed parameters. Rockton
Software has a new tool called Dynamics Report Manager. It allows you to
launch Crystal and SRS reports from within Great Plains and you can even use
the launch points to replace some of the Great Plains Report Writer Reports.

debell...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2006, 12:56:30 AM8/23/06
So does that mean that I can use SQL Server analysis services to look
at the cubes in GP9.0?

Also, we would most likely be using Panorama NovaView Dashboard to
displays the KPI and views. Has anyone in the industry done the above?
I would like to get some feedback.

thanks