SOP Sales Markdown % calculation

Janakiram

Oct 10, 2008, 6:24:49 AM10/10/08

I've got a situation in SOP entry where we have to enter Markdown %
for each line item and the decimal currency is BHD, 3 decimals. If the
Unit Price is BD1.000, markdown is 14.85%, the markdown price is
calculated as BD 0.149 rounding off to 3 decimals. However actual
markdown should be BD 0.1485. This small difference does matter alot
when large quantities involve. Say if we multiply a quantity of
1000000 with 0.1485, the markdown price would be BD148500 whereas with
0.149, the same would be BD 149000 resulting in BD 500 difference
which is huge.

Can Anyone has any solution on how to take the Markdown price without
rounding off or any workaround?

Thanks
Janakiram

Victoria [MVP]

Oct 10, 2008, 6:43:41 AM10/10/08
Janakiram,

A couple of options come to mind:

1. Increase the number of decimal places in the currency for this particular
item.
2. Create a U of M schedule where you are selling these in 1000's. In my
experience when selling large quantities of small value items, they are
typically sold in units of a thousand or sometimes million depending on the
item.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Janakiram" <janak...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mohammad Daoud

Oct 10, 2008, 6:57:00 AM10/10/08
Dear Janakiram,

Well, this will be related to decimal places you set for your currency,
there is no such option to increase the decimals places for one of the fields
to fix the calculation, but in your case you have more than a solution to
achieve this:

A. The first solution is to increase the currency decimals –if applicable-
B. You can set the mark down using amount instead of percent, and calculate
the amount manually outside GP.
C. You can customize the mark down window and add new field using modifier,
and use a small VBA coding to automatically calculate the actual amount and
set it in the amount textbox.

This what I have in my mind right now I will be happy to help you in
customizing this window.

Regards,
--
Mohammad R. Daoud
MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS

Janakiram

Oct 10, 2008, 1:33:45 PM10/10/08
Thanks Victoria and Mohammed for your inputs in right time.

I tested this scenario in sample company. An existing item could not
be changed for decimals. So, I tried the same using Inventory -
Utilities - Change Decimals. However, it says decimals could not be
changed as allocated quantities exist. So, I went to Item Currency
Master IV00105 and ran an update statement for currency decimals for
the particular item. It worked. Now, I want to be sure of one thing.
If we update this at SQL, any impact will it have in other places. In
my scenario, I've imported huge inventory quantities but we're yet to
start the Sales entries migration. So, No sales entries have been
posted yet. Am I good to go with this update statement?

Thanks for all your help

Janakiram
+973-39475299

On Oct 10, 1:43 pm, "Victoria [MVP]" <victo...@flex-solutions.com>
wrote:

> Janakiram,
>
> A couple of options come to mind:
>
> 1. Increase the number of decimal places in the currency for this particular
> item.
> 2. Create a U of M schedule where you are selling these in 1000's.  In my
> experience when selling large quantities of small value items, they are
> typically sold in units of a thousand or sometimes million depending on the
> item.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reportshttp://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> blog:www.victoriayudin.com
>

> "Janakiram" <janakira...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > I've got a situation in SOP entry where we have to enter Markdown %
> > for each line item and the decimal currency is BHD, 3 decimals. If the
> > Unit Price is BD1.000, markdown is 14.85%, the markdown price is
> > calculated as BD 0.149 rounding off to 3 decimals. However actual
> > markdown should be BD 0.1485. This small difference does matter alot
> > when large quantities involve. Say if we multiply a quantity of
> > 1000000 with 0.1485, the markdown price would be BD148500 whereas with
> > 0.149, the same would be BD 149000 resulting in BD 500 difference
> > which is huge.
>
> > Can Anyone has any solution on how to take the Markdown price without
> > rounding off or any workaround?
>
> > Thanks

> > Janakiram- Hide quoted text -

Victoria [MVP]

Oct 10, 2008, 2:12:53 PM10/10/08
Janakiram,

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure if there will be any
repercussions from running the SQL statement. However, since you increased
the decimal places (as opposed to decreasing them), you should hopefully be
ok.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
blog: www.victoriayudin.com

"Janakiram" <janak...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Janakiram

Oct 11, 2008, 5:23:43 AM10/11/08
Thanks Victoria for your feedback.

It is working fine and I checked all price lists and U of M schedule.
Can You tell me if it is possible to set markdown % default to
specific items and customers. Example - If Customer A is selected for
Item A, Markdown % is 14%, and If Customer B is selected for Item B,
markdown % is 15%. The Client does not want the data entry guys to
enter markdown manually.

Thanks for all your help

Janakiram
+973-39475299

On Oct 10, 9:12 pm, "Victoria [MVP]" <victo...@flex-solutions.com>
wrote:
> Janakiram,
>

> Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure if there will be any
> repercussions from running the SQL statement.  However, since you increased
> the decimal places (as opposed to decreasing them), you should hopefully be
> ok.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP

Victoria [MVP]

Oct 11, 2008, 6:57:57 AM10/11/08
I am guessing you actually want to show the markdown? Not simply change the
price depending on who the customer is? If so, I don't think even extended
pricing can do that, but maybe, I am not as familiar with all the options in
there as I am in standard pricing....I would check that first. But if not,
I am fairly certain that Omni Price from Rockton can do this.