Faxing from VFP apps

Russell Campbell

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Anybody done faxing from VFP apps. I know you can use WinFax, of course,
but what about fax server software for more advanced features. Any
experiences you had good or bad would be helpful.

Thanks,

Russell Campbell

Jeremy Dee

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
I've played with, though not fully implemented, Datatech's Faxman ActiveX
control

http://www.data-tech.com

The version I've got, 2.6, is older (they're at V3.0 at least by now) but I
did check their knowledge base and they now have VFP sample code.

Recently, I stumbled upon www.exceletel.com which I haven't fully checked
out (I think they're more Telephony than faxing.

Finally, and as far as I'm concerned, most important, bring out your old
External fax modems. There's nothing worse than hanging an internal modem
b/c your program's screwed up, and having to reboot your machine. I prefer
the on/off switch of an external.

Good luck.

JD

Russell Campbell <russca...@nospam.com> wrote in message

I.Simoni

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
see at...
www.athosfax.com

there is a good fax server with API/DOC/EXAMPLES ...
is possible to donwload the server with the API.

I have used this for my customer and i found it useful !
Using the API i send native VFP REPORT to the fax server !

bye
I.Simoni, Local Data, Italy

Markus Voellmy

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
Hi Russell

Look at http://www.gfifax.de/. Their FaxMaker-Software works quite well as a
stand-alone faxserver or together with MS Exchange Server. From VFP you can
send a fax either as an Email or print it. They have a royalityfree 5-User/1
Line-Version and the pricing for the commercial version seems moderate to
me.

HTH

M. Voellmy

Russell Campbell <russca...@nospam.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:

:
:

Anthony Shipley

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
"Russell Campbell" <russca...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Anybody done faxing from VFP apps. I know you can use WinFax, of course,
>but what about fax server software for more advanced features. Any
>experiences you had good or bad would be helpful.

On a related issue, I found that generating my own cover pages in Word or WordPerfect provided a better solution than
using WinFax's coverpages. This was primarily because of the limited fields available on the cover pages and the fact that
some of them were sourced from the addressbook rather than from the sdk interface.

I had a good chuckle when I discovered that Corel's WordPerfect 8 _still_ as a restriction on the length of the replace
string when finding/replacing. You'd never guess:- 80 characters.

anthony shipley

<math> 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2</math>

Alberto Donini

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
Ti chiedo aiuto puoi contattarmi, lavoro con vfp e athosfax.
Alberto albd...@tin.it

I.Simoni <loca...@rosenet.it> wrote in message
uQiuuReA$GA....@cppssbbsa02.microsoft.com...

Jon Krahmer

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Hello Russell,

Have you considered writing a simple fax SUB that would use a fax API
(Application Programmable Interface). This API will allow WYSIWYG
(What You See Is What You Get) when you fax.

Have you considered writing a simple fax program that would use an API
(Application Programmable Interface).

You can write a simple Visual Basic fax program that uses the
ElectraSoft fax API (Application Programmable Interface).

For example:
c>I need a fax program that runs in the background and will let
c>me send without having to pick a phone number. I want to pass
c>it the number.

Go to www.ElectraSoft.com and try their fax API that you can try for
free, including some VB source code.
---
Here is a fax solution including some VB source code.
---
If you want to use ElectraSoft's fax API to send directly from your
own program, read [Item 3] of the ElectraSoft Manual to learn how to
send a fax directly from your program by passing it the name and fax
number. This Manual is included with ElectraSoft's fax software. Read
[Item 61] to learn how to send a fax to a list of fax numbers.

You can also print directly to ElectraSoft's [Convert to Fax].

If you can print, you can fax.

All the Fax Machines in the world are your printers with ElectraSoft's
fax programs.
-------
Code example:
TOP:
o Put the SEND2FAX.DEL file
o Print document to: ElectraSoft's Convert to Fax
o Wait for SEND2FAX.DEL to disappear
o If done EXIT else back to TOP
EXIT:

X-From_: mwa...@luminet.net Fri Feb 13 12:53:43 1998
From: Michael Walter <mwa...@luminet.net>
To: "'Fax...@ElectraSoft.com'" <Fax...@ElectraSoft.com>
Subject: VB Code to batch send faxes
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:58:06 -0600

Thanks for your help. I hope this will be of interest to you or your
customers.

Michael Walter
mwa...@luminet.net
(507) 454-3830

"Nenio superas similia troajxo"

Case "Newfax"
'Send Faxes to Customers
'Assumes that 32BF Convert to Fax is already selected
'as the default printer
frmProduction.lblmessage.Caption = "Converting and sending Fax
Files..."
frmProduction.lblmessage.Refresh
Dim myfile As String
Dim printline As String
Dim SRCFILE As String
Dim DESFILE As String
Dim MYCHAR As String * 1
For x = 1 To 50
SRCFILE = "Z:\FAXES\FAX" & x & ".TMP"
myfile = Dir(SRCFILE)
If myfile <> "" Then
'found a fax so copy correct DEL file
FileCopy "Z:\BatchFiles\FaxBatch" & x & ".txt",
"C:\32BITFAX\SEND2FAX.DEL"
'NOW CONVERT TO FAX FORMAT
Open SRCFILE For Input As #1
Do While Not EOF(1)
MYCHAR = Input(1, #1)
If MYCHAR <> Chr(13) And MYCHAR <> Chr(10) Then
printline = printline & MYCHAR
Else
If printline <> "" Then 'because of chr(13)
and chr(10)
'code above, we will
be printing
'a blank line. In
effect double spacing.
'This will prevent
that.
Printer.Print printline
End If
printline = ""
End If
Loop
Close #1
Printer.EndDoc
Do
DESFILE = Dir("C:\32BITFAX\SEND2FAX.DEL")
' 'MUST KEEP LOOPING UNTIL THE SENDFAX
' 'FILE HAS BEEN DELETED
If DESFILE <> "" Then
Else
Exit Do
End If
Loop
End If
Next x
frmProduction.lblmessage.Caption = ""
frmProduction.lblmessage.Refresh
=====
CECS EcfFtr2Fh_EL;//Structure for ????????.LOG, ????????.SNW,
????????.SFT
// * CURRENT EVENT CONTROL structure: Output of the CAS function
// * CASGetCurrentEventStatus.
#pragma pack(1)
typedef struct
{
ECF ECF_2Fh; //EvtContFile; //ECB==Event Control file of
current event
FTR FTR_2Fh; //CurrentFileInTransit;//FTR==FILE TRANSFER RECORD
structure
} CECS;
//CECS FAR *lpCurEvtContStrut;
#pragma pack()

// * EVENT CONTROL FILE structure: The FIXED part of the CAS
specification
// * for a Control File. (The variable parts are the cover page text
and
// * the File Transfer Records.)...
// *
// * The path and name of a disk file consisting of this structure
plus
// * the cover page and the File Transfer Records is the input to the
CAS
// * function CASSubmitTask...
// *
// * This structure is also the output of the high-level Toolkit
function
// * CCPGetEventControlInfo...
// * The variable part is the cover page text. Append a buffer
containing
// * the cover page text to this structure, starting at the last
field.
#pragma pack(1)
typedef struct// OffSet\ /Length
{// | |
BYTE byEventType; // 0(1)---Type of event (send==0,
receive etc)
BYTE byTransferType; // 1(1)---0==200x200,1==100x200,2==File
transfer mode.
__int16 iStatOfEvt; // 2(2)---0==Successfully
Completed,1==Waiting...
WORD wSendTime; // 4(2)---Time to send,0==now.
WORD wSendDate; // 6(2)---Date to send,0==now.
__int16 iNumOfFiles; // 8(2)---Max is 32766
WORD wOffSetToFTR; // 10(2)---Offset to 1st FTR in TCF on
disk
char szPhoneNum[47]; // 12(47)--Num to call 118(47) ASCIIZ
char szApTag[51]; // 59(51)--Application specific tag field
char szCvrPageFile[13]; //110(13)--Cover Page FileName
12345678.CVR
BYTE byResved1; //123(1)---reserved,set to 0
BYTE byConnectSeconds; //124(1)---Time of connection: seconds
BYTE byConnectMinutes; //125(1)---Time of connection: minutes
BYTE byConnectHours; //126(1)---Time of connection: hours
LONGWORD dwTotalPages; //127(4)---Total # of pages in all files
LONGWORD dwPagesSent; //131(4)---# of pages transmitted so far
WORD wFilesSent; //135(2)---# of files transmitted so far
BYTE byCvrPageFg; //137(1)---1==Send, 0==don't send cover
page
WORD wErrorCount; //138(2)---Total # of tranmission errors
BYTE byDelFileFg; //140(1)---Del File after
Send>>0==No,1==if suc,2==Allways
WORD wEvntHandle; //141(2)---Assigned by CAS
char szResved2[31]; //143(31)*reserved,SetTo=0
char szSubject[21]; //174(21)
BYTE byConStatus; //195(1)---Reserved,set to 0
WORD wFatalError; //196(2)---Reserved,set to 0
char szSendFaxBook[9]; //198(9)
BYTE szResved3[1]; //207(1)
WORD wConcludedTime; //208(2)---Time Event Completed
WORD wConcludedDate; //210(2)---Date Event Completed
DWORD dwWorkStationNumber; //212(4)
BYTE byCvrPageReadFg; //216(1)---0==No,1==Yes
BYTE bySuppressPageHdr; //217(1)---FALSE==Page Header, TRUE==No
Page Header
char szRemoteCSID[21]; //218(21)--Remote CCITT identification
char szRecipient[32]; //239(32)--To: field
char szFaxFromName[32]; //271(32)--From: field
char szLogoFilePath[80]; //303(80)--Path to logo file that is sent
char szCvrTxt[CvrTxtSize]; //383(5200)--Marks start of the
Covertext,Ends with 0.
}ECF; // EVENT CONTROL FILE structure

// * FILE TRANSFER RECORD structure: One or more of these are a part
of
// * the CAS Control File. The path and name of this file is the
input to
// * the CAS function CASSubmitTask.
// *
// * One of these structures representing the file currently being
// * transferred is part of the output structure of the CAS function
// * CASGetCurrentEventStatus.
// *
// * A linked list of one or more structures containing this structure
is
// * the output of the high-level Toolkit function
CASGetEventFileInfo.
#pragma pack(1)
typedef struct// OffSet\ /Length, sizeof(FTR)==128
{// | |
BYTE byFileType; // 0(1)---Type of file
(0==ASCII,1==PCX,2==DCX)
BYTE byTextSize; // 1(1)---0==80colx66lin, 1==132colx88lin
BYTE byFileStatus; // 2(1)---Status of file (opened, moved
etc)
LONGWORD dwBytesSent; // 3(4)---Bytes transmitted so far
LONGWORD dwFileSize; // 7(4)---Size of file in bytes
WORD wPagesSent; // 11(2)---Pages transmitted so far
WORD wPageCount; // 13(2)---# of pages in this file
char szSourceFlNm[80]; // 15(80)--Path name of this file
BYTE byAddPageInc; // 95(1)---Additional 1/8 inch increments
char cPageLength; // 96(1)---Page length in inches,0==11in
char szRESERVED[31];
}FTR; // FILE TRANSFER RECORD structure

"Russell Campbell" <russca...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Anybody done faxing from VFP apps. I know you can use WinFax, of course,
>but what about fax server software for more advanced features. Any
>experiences you had good or bad would be helpful.

>Thanks,

>Russell Campbell

Kind Regards,
Jon Krahmer, ElectraSoft

Get newest version of [FaxMail for Windows], [FaxMail Network for Windows]
or [32bit Fax], free trial: http://www.ElectraSoft.com/
To read what users are saying about ElectraSoft's fax software, go to
http://www.ElectraSoft.com/10GoodReasons/

Patrice Drolet

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
I would not try excelete tools for the moment. This might be good, but there
is NO SUPPORT. And guess what: no event (like ring detected, busy signal,
fax tone, ...) are detected in VFP 6!!! So if you are looking for a good
solution, seek another one.

Patrice Drolet

Jeremy Dee <de...@mw.idsonline.com> a écrit dans le message :
uBdSdbTA$GA.282@cppssbbsa04...

> I've played with, though not fully implemented, Datatech's Faxman ActiveX
> control
>
> http://www.data-tech.com
>
> The version I've got, 2.6, is older (they're at V3.0 at least by now) but
> did check their knowledge base and they now have VFP sample code.
>
> Recently, I stumbled upon www.exceletel.com which I haven't fully checked
> out (I think they're more Telephony than faxing.
>
> Finally, and as far as I'm concerned, most important, bring out your old
> External fax modems. There's nothing worse than hanging an internal modem
> b/c your program's screwed up, and having to reboot your machine. I prefer
> the on/off switch of an external.
>
> Good luck.
>
> JD

Anders Altberg

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Patrice
You can use the extended event handling in VFPCOM.DLL, which was delivered
with VFP 6.0 SP3 I believe, to trap events in COM servers instantiated by
VFP. An example would be the DocumentChange or Quit events in a Word
application object in VFP where the use has Word and its menus visible.
Events in ActiveX controls, take the Change event in the DateTimePicker ole
control, can be directly coded in VFP.

-Anders

Patrice Drolet <in...@infodata.ca> wrote in message

Patrice Drolet

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
Hi Anders,

Thank you for the advice. I will check it. But I found very little info
about vfpcom.dll. I will keep looking.

Patrice

Anders Altberg <anders....@swipnet.se> a écrit dans le message :
96_O3.3742$zc....@nntpserver.swip.net...

Edmund

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
I am currently using WinFax Pro to fax with. our client has one more request
though. They don't want to have to select WinFax as the printer each time they
fax an invoice. This is an application that is written in Foxpro for windows
2.6. I know this isn't exactly the correct newsgroup for this message, but I
just happened to see this message about faxing..

Do any of you know how / if I can change the printer to WinFax AUTOMATICALLY
when they fax? They want the default printer to stay selected to their
LaserPrinter for running reports. Can I use DDE and some Windows API to do that
?

Thanks in advance for any help.

C'ya,
Edmund
edm...@wildworld.net

Diego Mijelshon

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
>Do any of you know how / if I can change the printer to WinFax
AUTOMATICALLY
>when they fax? They want the default printer to stay selected to their
>LaserPrinter for running reports.

See the help for SET PRINTER.

Diego.

hughdw...@my-deja.com

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
Hi Ed,

Check out Windows Script Host:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/windowshost/docs/reference/wshobj.do

It allows you through its WSHNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter method to
select the DEFAULT printer, etc.

Hugh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mike Edgewood

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
Here is what I did:
edit the invoice report, then from the top menu...
File:Page Setup
.. and from there choose Print Setup
Then choose the printer you wish, and save the report.