Importing data

photolounge

Jul 19, 2007, 9:42:05 AM7/19/07
I have been using Iview for the last year or so and just upgraded to
Expression.

I have thousands of images which were shot previous to using either Iview or
expression and them catalogued in Access and excel, is there any way i can
import these files into the software so i don't have to recatalogue thousands
of images.

Thanks
Lee Whitehead

Finder

Jul 19, 2007, 3:00:01 PM7/19/07
I don't understand your concern. Expression Media can open your iView IVC
catalogs and then if you make changes use Save As and save them in a
different folder so you have a backup.

Import is the same as iView --from the File menu or drag&drop files or
folders to catalog.

There is also a free xMedia Reader for Windows here:
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/download.aspx?key=reader

johnbeardy

Jul 19, 2007, 7:15:56 PM7/19/07
Lee

While iView/xMedia can obviously catalogue the images, it sounds like
you want the metadata, currently in Access or Excel, to be added to
those images. The best way to do this is by scripting. It's possible
to use Excel macros to drive iView/xMedia and update the metadata.

John

photolounge

Jul 20, 2007, 5:42:00 AM7/20/07
As said below is there any way of importing catalogue data (which is in excel
& access) that is not in an expression format that can be matched with images
that at present have no data in expression (iview)

Thanks
Lee

johnbeardy

Jul 20, 2007, 7:45:46 AM7/20/07
Read my reply.

Finder

Jul 20, 2007, 2:32:03 PM7/20/07
You can add the XLS or XLT file(s) to your catalog as with other media types.
Beyond that you might need to create a VB script to do what you want with the
metadata. Maybe someone else can help?

johnbeardy

Jul 20, 2007, 4:28:01 PM7/20/07
Finder - the guy doesn't want to add Excel or Access files to the
catalog!

I have already answered his question.

John

photolounge

Jul 23, 2007, 6:26:02 AM7/23/07
Thanks, how do you create a vb SCRIPT? and what is it?

johnbeardy

Jul 23, 2007, 7:02:58 AM7/23/07
Take a look in your scripts folder - C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Expression\Media 1.0\en\Plug-ins\Scripts.

There used to be a scripting manual too, but I couldn't find it on the
iView site. They are mentioned in the main manual but not in as much
detail.

Finder

Jul 24, 2007, 3:14:04 PM7/24/07
Lee, those are the VBS macros (visual basic script on windows, applescript on
mac) commands you see under the Scripts menu in ExMedia. Users can make their
own or modify the ones that come with the program. If you choose
Scripts-Tools-RevealScripts you will see the folder where yours would go then
they will show on the menu. They can be opened and changed in Notepad or VB.

a niemann

Jul 30, 2007, 9:08:01 PM7/30/07
I had the same issue and a photographer/IT/author guy in England solve the
issue for me. We were trying to import data into iView from an older database
- exported as tab delimited text files. He's written a nice script that does
the job beautifully - we've imported around 50,000 images by now.

You can reach him at:
http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/

Andy

a niemann

Jul 30, 2007, 9:54:02 PM7/30/07
Curious:
I just found out that this forum is available via Google as well. When I
rechecked this thread on Google I noticed all of John's replies. They don't
show up on the Microsoft site!
Andy