Exchange 2003 OWA - 440 Login Timeout

Jon

Jan 2, 2004, 7:12:14 AM1/2/04
Anyone attempting to access my Exchange 2003 server via
OWA intermittently gets a 440 Login Timeout error.
Restarting the IIS Admin service band-aids the situation,
but it is only a matter of a relatively short period of
time before the service must be restarted to band-aid the
situation again. I have tried many different paths at
resolution, but no luck yet. If anyone could shed light
on possible resolution or other information, I would
greatly appreciate it. Thanks and best regards.

Adnan Vorajee [MSFT]

Jan 5, 2004, 8:27:53 AM1/5/04
See if the following helps:

1. Verify that the check box to enable Forms Based Authentication on the
Exchange Virtual
Server in the Exchange System Manager is checked. If not, then check it
and then restart
the IIS Admin service and the System Attendant services.

2. Also verify if the 'Read' option is checked or not in IIS Service
Manager on the
properties of the following folders and files:

\exchweb\bin
\exchweb\bin\auth
\exchweb\bin\auth\usa
\exchweb\bin\auth\usa\logon.asp

If it's not checked on above, then check this option 'Read' in the IIS
Services Manager and restart the web
site.

3. If you get Error: Access is Denied then check the following article
about resynchronizing the IUSR_account.

IIS 6.0: HOW TO: Configure IIS to Control the Anonymous Password
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=332167

4. Also, set the authentication to Basic on the \exchange virtual directory
in IIS and in the
Exchange System Manager.

Hope this helps

Adnan Vorajee, MCSE/MCSA/MCDBA
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

--------------------
| From: "Jon" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Sender: "Jon" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Exchange 2003 OWA - 440 Login Timeout
| Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 04:12:14 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.misc

Pete

Jan 6, 2004, 10:12:39 AM1/6/04
"Jon" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<02a501c3d129$a883f370$a001...@phx.gbl>...

We had the indentical problem. We're running Exchange 2003 on Server
2003 and, about every 12 hours, web access would die. Restarting IIS
would band-aid the problem. Our problem was coincidental with a
reinstall of Sybari's Antigen and Spam Cure (we had been running a
trial and did a reinstall to move to the licensed version). The
problem went away with a reinstall of the Sybari software.

If this doesn't help, you can at least automate the IIS restart. From
a command line use:

IISReset

To schedule it, use the command line:

At 23:59 IISReset

Or, go to the Control Panel and schedule \winnt\System32\IISReset.exe.

(thanks to the Microsoft support folks for the scheduling tips)