Exchange 2007 SP1 on 2008 test server - Exchange transport not starting (2114)

JamesB

Sep 17, 2007, 7:59:56 AM9/17/07
We have set up a single 2008 server test machine. Run DCPromo on it. It is
in it's own domain and the only server.
We then installed 2007 SP1 on it, however the setup failed as one of the
services wouldn't start. Basically the Exchange Transport service is stuck
in "Starting". If i kill it, it will just try and restart. In Event log I
have this error: (2114)

Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=1764). Topology discovery
failed, error 0x80040a02 (DSC_E_NO_SUITABLE_CDC). Look up the Lightweight
Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) error code specified in the event
description. To do this, use Microsoft Knowledge Base article 218185,
"Microsoft LDAP Error Codes." Use the information in that article to learn
more about the cause and resolution to this error. Use the Ping or PathPing
command-line tools to test network connectivity to local domain controllers.

And also this "informative" message:

Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=1764). Exchange Active
Directory Provider has discovered the following servers with the following
characteristics:
(Server name | Roles | Enabled | Reachability | Synchronized | GC capable |
PDC | SACL right | Critical Data | Netlogon | OS Version)
In-site:
orinoco.2008test.local CDG 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
Out-of-site:

To me, it looks like it is having trouble working out where somethnig in AD
is or similar. Having done some googling, I've checked the server is in the
two exchange groups (it was, and is). DNS is also configured correctly as
far as I can tell.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Bojan Buhac

Nov 23, 2007, 8:14:24 PM11/23/07
I had the same problem. In most cases problem is with new implementaion of
IPv6. You have probably disabled the IPv6 on you network adapter.

Just enable IPv6 on the adapter.

--

..
Bojan Buhac