Exchange 2007 - SCR - Logs not Truncating on Target

brain...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2008, 2:43:52 PM2/20/08
I have a setup for 2 Exchange 2007 servers that are doing SCR. My
problem is that the Target machine is not truncating the logs, it is
however replaying the log file with any problems.

I enabled SCR with the following command:

Enable-StorageGroupCopy -identity "First Storage Group" -ReplayLagTime
0.0:5:0 -TruncationLagTime 1.0:0:0 -StandbyMachine venus

you can see that the TruncationLagTime is set to 1 Day, however it has
been over a week and the logs have not truncated.

and Yes, the Source server is being backed up and having the logs
truncated over there. I have resorted to manually removing the older
log files. Should this not be automatic? Can i manually truncate
them? I've suspended the replication and have rebooted the target
machine with no luck, I have yet to do it on the source.

Here is the current status:

Name SummaryCopySt CopyQueueLeng ReplayQueueL
LastInspecte
atus
th ength dLogTime
---- -------------
------------- ------------ ------------
First Storage Group Healthy 0
527 2/20/2008...

Any help is appreciated it. Thank you

brain...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2008, 2:47:01 PM2/20/08

The status looks all jumbled up, here it is in table form

Name: First Storage Groug
Summary Copy Status: Healthy
Copy Queue Length: 0
Replay Queue Length: 527
Last In spected Log Time: 2/20/2008...

Paul

Mar 13, 2008, 12:14:00 PM3/13/08
I had the same problem.

We setup 1 SCR target with 14 Storage Groups. After a week I found the logs
on the target continued to grow and grow.

I manually deleted the target logs that were days and days old, and found
they continued to accumulate.

On a whim that I setup the replaylagtime or trunicate incorrectly, I stopped
1 of 14 storage groups from replicating to target. I then deleted target
logs and database and started the replication over from the start, including
re-seeding the DB.

From that moment on, all 14 storage groups now trunicated logs as expected.
Go figure?

Douglas

Jun 5, 2008, 4:12:02 PM6/5/08
I'm having the same issue, though only using 2 storage groups. I'd like to
achiever two things:

Truncate old logs on the SCR source server
Truncate old logs on the SCR target server

Incidentally, the source is a CCR clustered mailbox server - so in short, my
68GB mailbox database is in a folder totaling 191GB with the log files. That
191GB is then replicated twice - to the passive CCR node and to the SCR
target.

Talk about wasted disk space...

Any input?

Scott Schnoll [MSFT]

Jun 5, 2008, 4:31:42 PM6/5/08
Have you taken a backup? You need to take a backup that truncates logs in
order to have truncation occur.

--
Regards,

Scott Schnoll
Microsoft Corporation
rights. Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Douglas" <Dou...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Douglas

Jun 6, 2008, 9:33:03 AM6/6/08
What sort of backup is required?

My company uses Symantec BackupExec 12d, though we have not yet taken a
backup of Exchange, because we were considering it an added layer that we
would only put on after the Exchange configuration worked the way we want it
to.

Does this all hinge on the Archive Bit setting?
I assume the Exchange agent would be required for the backup to have the
desired effect?

-Douglas

Scott Schnoll [MSFT]

Jun 6, 2008, 11:42:23 AM6/6/08
Typically folks take full backups, which truncate the logs. Your backup
application documentation should contain full information on how to take a
truncating backup.

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,

Scott Schnoll
Microsoft Corporation
rights. Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Douglas" <Dou...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ibfcon...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2013, 12:07:09 PM4/10/13
to Scott Schnoll [MSFT]
I have a bit of an issue with the SCR, maybe you can point me in the right direction. 3 of the SCR DB’s aren’t committing and deleting logs on the passive copy. What I see, when looking into it, is that it thinks the last backup was performed back on March 29. I have since had successful full and incremental backups, but they’re not being reflected in the passive copy when I query it with get-storagegroupcopystatus. Any idea how I can fix this? I am afraid to delete the logs, as it may force a reseed.