Delayed send in Outlook Cached Mode

Travis Albrecht

Oct 5, 2004, 11:03:43 AM10/5/04
I have found an issue with Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 that isn't
mentioned as a caveat in the online help for Outlook.
If you use the new cached mode for your Exchange mailbox, messages set up as
"Do Not Deliver before:" don't work as expected. The message sits in your
Outbox until the next time you open Outlook rather than sending the message
to the server for delivery at the specified time.

Is this correct? Is this as expected? Is my only option not to use cached
mode?

I would like to continue to use cached mode but some users do make use of
the delayed delivery feature.

AvP

Oct 5, 2004, 9:52:37 PM10/5/04
You're absolutely right... I find it rather stupid, the cache mode also have
problem displaying newly created address or contact (something to do with
policy enforcer as claim by MS).
AvP

"Travis Albrecht" <talbrecht_at_wernerelectric_dot_com> wrote in message

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Oct 6, 2004, 12:33:22 AM10/6/04
AvP wrote:
> You're absolutely right... I find it rather stupid, the cache mode
> also have problem displaying newly created address or contact
> (something to do with policy enforcer as claim by MS).
> AvP

You mean this?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823580&Product=out2003

I don't use delayed delivery so I haven't seen any issues with it, sorry.

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Oct 7, 2004, 6:39:57 PM10/7/04
This is expected. The problem is that (in cached mode) if the message were
to be pushed to the Exchange server you would no longer be able to re-edit
it or stop it from being sent without restarting Outlook in online mode.
Since many people set up a rule to delay sending all messages by a few
minutes (to prevent that "Oh dang! I didn't mean to send that yet!"
mistake), we decided that the behavior you're experiencing was the preferred
one. If you leave Outlook running, though, it will send the message at the
proper time.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development